Where can you buy HDCDs?

G

Where can you buy HDCDs?
« on: 18 May 2005, 06:21 pm »
I have been searching the net to find HDCD music but there is not much variety out there it seems. Anyone have a good source? Specifically Jazz and Rock titles?

Scott F.

Re: Where can you buy HDCDs?
« Reply #1 on: 18 May 2005, 10:42 pm »
Quote from: G
I have been searching the net to find HDCD music but there is not much variety out there it seems. Anyone have a good source? Specifically Jazz and Rock titles?

Good question. My Arcam is HDCD and I used to have a link that listed all of the HDCD's availible. Looks like Microsoft got ahold of the format and hasn't updated the list or the website since 2002, in fact the list is non-existant now.

Not sure what to tell you other than Google the online shops for HDCD. I just checked Amazon and they don't (typically) list HDCD as part of the product details.  :roll:

electricbear

hdcds
« Reply #2 on: 18 May 2005, 11:36 pm »
acousticsounds.com has 71 titles listed. Just click on cds and it will lead you there.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
Where can you buy HDCDs?
« Reply #3 on: 19 May 2005, 12:40 am »
Another option is to check out any place you purchase CDs from. Most people don't even realize they have HDCDs in their collection until they buy a CD player with the capability and see the little blue LED light up when they put a disc in.
 Just look at the back of CD available from Wal Mart, K-Mart, Circuit City, etc and you may be surprised of how many have the HDCD logo on the back. That's where most of mine came from and I didn't even know it!

G

Where can you buy HDCDs?
« Reply #4 on: 19 May 2005, 01:29 pm »
Quote from: Response Audio
Another option is to check out any place you purchase CDs from. Most people don't even realize they have HDCDs in their collection until they buy a CD player with the capability and see the little blue LED light up when they put a disc in.
 Just look at the back of CD available from Wal Mart, K-Mart, Circuit City, etc and you may be surprised of how many have the HDCD logo on the back. That's where most of mine came from and I didn't even know it!

That is exactly what happened to me. Except my light is green. :mrgreen:  Now I know why that Chris Isaak cd sounds so good. :oops: This is the first time I've had the components to listen to HDCD CDs so I need some now. Thanks.

DeadFish

Where can you buy HDCDs?
« Reply #5 on: 20 May 2005, 12:56 am »
Hey big G!

You maybe ought to bring your cd drive  over for a visit some time...
 :wink:
I can tell you that the Jony Mitchell catalogue, the Jerry Garcia Band live stuff (available from www.jerrygarcia.com) , and at least the various titles of Garcia/Grisman I have from Acoustic Disc are all HDCD.  It could be that all of Acoustic Disk's catalogue might be.
Personally, I'd like to hear the difference some time when we could get a chance.
Then again, all of the above are acquired tastes.... :D
Ah, oh yes, I believe that all of the recent re-releases/remasters of Grateful Dead are HDCD, but not hunnerd-percent sure.  I got tired (read poor) rebuying all the Dead since I first picked up the vinyl, several times.

And what Bill said.  Go browsing at Best Buy for folks you like and discover if any of them are that format.  

Good luck looking!

Regards,
DeadFish

tvyankee

Where can you buy HDCDs?
« Reply #6 on: 20 May 2005, 01:18 am »
i have noticed that you need to look at the back of the disk to see if it is done hdcd.

you hardly ever see any info on the net description that the disc is done in hdcd.

i think when it is done hdcd it is done in 20/48 but i could be wrong.

alot of the gd stuff is hdcd,it says it right on the back.

happy hunting.

Gordy

Where can you buy HDCDs?
« Reply #7 on: 29 May 2005, 01:45 pm »
Here's a Swedish based master list of HDCD titles and it's interactive so you can add to the database....  http://www.hitbutiken.com/hdcd/index.php?p=base

HTH...