Upgrade receiver or use seperates? Paradigms and Marantz

jstubb

Here is the deal. My current setup is the following:

Receiver: Marantz SR7000 (I love this receiver, just under powered for my mains)
Fronts: Paradigm Studio 100s v2
Center: Paradigm Studio CC v2
Rears: Paradigm ADP v2
Sub: Servo 15 v2

I have been out of the home theater world for several years. A friend of mine is putting a system together which in turn sparked my interest in the new sound formats. Mainly DTS ES 6.1 7.1. I have been watching the deal on UBid for the Marantz SR8400 for under $500. I would gladly replace my SR7000 if this was an equally good sounding receiver. My Marantz has always lacked the power to drive my front mains like they were intended. I do like the way the Marantz sounds mated with the Paradigms just under powered. I always said I would get some seperates later on when I could afford it. I am not really concerned about the new formats just reproducing decent sound. I do not want to get the new receiver and seperates. I will stick with the 7000 and seperates or get the 8400.

My questions are:

Do I get the new Marantz 8400 to comply with the latest formats.

Or do I get seperates to go with my existing SR7000 and forgo the new formats sticking with DTS 5.1?

Kala

« Reply #1 on: 26 May 2005, 12:18 pm »
The newer sound formats might not give you much, considering you only have 5 channels (so do I, so I'm only guessing).  Also, it's rare that I see a movie with an option for something other than DD 5.1 (again, I may just be renting really bad movies).  

I have heard that the PLII can be a little fun on music and movies, however.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Re: Upgrade receiver or use seperates? Paradigms and Marantz
« Reply #2 on: 26 May 2005, 12:37 pm »
Quote from: jstubb
Receiver: Marantz SR7000 (I love this receiver, just under powered for my mains)

Why not just get a stereo amp or 2 mono's to drive the front using preout on your receiver?

audioslave

« Reply #3 on: 26 May 2005, 01:25 pm »
I would do a used 3-5 channel amp and plug it into your pre-out input of your receiver. My buddy added  a Parasound HCA-855 multi-channel amp to his Yamaha receiver to drive his Paradigm Studio 80V.2 with good results. His system is much more dynamic and resolving even though the amp @85 x 5 is 15 watts less than what his reciever is putting out. Having just sold my 100v.2's, I know that they require some juice to make them come alive and therefore would definitely recommend you getting some power to drive them. You will hear the benefits of doing this as soon as you plug the amp in. :D

Audio-Enthusiast

go seperates, seperates, seperates
« Reply #4 on: 29 May 2005, 04:45 am »
My sugestion would be to invest in amplification.  With the new Decoding formats just around the corner (DTS plus and DD+) at the end of 2005 start of 2006 I would hate to see someone purchase a receiver and be disapointed 1 year from now because they just missed out on the newer format.  Remember 6.1 or 7.1 is simply decoding an additional chanel for your rear that yes will add to your ambient sound field but won't increase the quality of your audio like seperate will.

Amplification seem to be what you need for the studio 100's and that's not going to change unless you are considering changing your speakers in the next little while.  

I sugget you add seperate amplification and use them with your current Marantz and take advantage of bi-amping your front three if you can.  Then about 1 year from now when the new 8 channel audio formats are available, get a good preamp with the latest decoding.

Good luck.  I am envious of your system for as I only own a paid of paradigm reference studio 20's.  I am going to seperates on my next upgrade...

Cheers