Bye Bye Krell, and hello 2x Ampzilla 2000 Monos.

ctviggen

« Reply #20 on: 17 May 2005, 02:23 pm »
Are you sure about those calculations?  259kW-hr for a month is 259,000watts-hr/30 days/(24hours/day)=about 360 watts.  Each one is 180 watts with no signal?  My Jeff Rowland is about 120watts, for two channels. Also, .69/kw-hr is obscene!  I thought CT was high at .15/kw-hr!

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #21 on: 17 May 2005, 02:30 pm »
Quote from: ctviggen
Are you sure about those calculations?  259kW-hr for a month is 259,000watts-hr/30 days/(24hours/day)=about 360 watts.  Each one is 180 watts with no signal?  My Jeff Rowland is about 120watts, for two channels. Also, .69/kw-hr is obscene!  I thought CT was high at .15/kw-hr!

180 watts per amp for a pure Class A is nothing!!  My Kora mono blocks used more than that with no signal going to them.

George

ctviggen

« Reply #22 on: 17 May 2005, 03:13 pm »
That's a lot of power.  In Arizona, we had people tell us not to go class A because of the heat generated by these amps.  If you have 360W being burnt in standby, that's a ton of heat being generated.  In CT, it wouldn't be bad except for one-two months; but in AZ, it'd be bad for 9-10 months out of the year.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #23 on: 17 May 2005, 05:07 pm »
That's a lot of power.  In Arizona, we had people tell us not to go class A because of the heat generated by these amps.  If you have 360W being burnt in standby, that's a ton of heat being generated.  In CT, it wouldn't be bad except for one-two months; but in AZ, it'd be bad for 9-10 months out of the year.

According to the ExactPower unit, the mono would use over 700watts combined when playing music at times.

When I had a Pass amp it heated up quite a bit as well.

George

shokunin

« Reply #24 on: 17 May 2005, 09:42 pm »

Yup, talking to James each monoblock consumes 180watts at idle, also verified by my fluke clamp meter.  Heck my now sold, Dehavilland monoblocks would consume 400W each at idle for a 30W amp.  Although nothing like my woodworking machine and collector that takes nearly 13KW to run.  

The penalty for high electrical usage is insane in Orange County.  My electrical bills are close to $150-200 or higher a month, and consuming more electricity means an even higher penalty rate.  At least my gasoline bills are minor since I mainly work from home or at the airport or some other city.

Mad DOg

« Reply #25 on: 18 May 2005, 12:12 am »
Quote from: John Casler
Then my Son (which is 1/2 the monobloc pair) should cost almost $90 a month extra???

My whole electric bill is around $90 - $100 a month

that's probably becuz you never use your lights! your entire electric bill goes towards powering your audio gear! :wink: :lol:

in the many times i've been to your place, i don't think i ever recall your lights being turned on. :wink: isn't that why you've got a bunch of those mini maglites laying around?  :rotflmao:

Mad DOg

« Reply #26 on: 18 May 2005, 12:14 am »
My Jeff Rowland is about 120watts, for two channels.

your rowland has a switching power supply which runs more efficiently.

Mad DOg

« Reply #27 on: 18 May 2005, 12:17 am »
Quote from: shokunin
My electrical bills are close to $150-200 or higher a month...

:o  :o  :o  WOW!

JoshK

« Reply #28 on: 18 May 2005, 12:35 am »
I sold my Cary V12 for the reason that #1 it heated up my damn room by 15º easily and #2 it added about $80 to each electrical bill.  When you are just out of school making a hair over $50K salary and paying $1700/mo in rent, not to mention $500+ in student loans, that hurts. So was the demise of my EL34 queen...

John Casler

« Reply #29 on: 18 May 2005, 01:49 am »
Quote from: Mad DOg
Then my Son (which is 1/2 the monobloc pair) should cost almost $90 a month extra???

My whole electric bill is around $90 - $100 a month

that's probably becuz you never use your lights! your entire electric bill goes towards powering your audio gear! :wink: :lol:

in the many times i've been to your place, i don't think i ever recall your lights being turned on. :wink: isn't that why you've got a bunch of those mini maglites laying around?  :rotflmao:

Lights?

Who needs lights to listen to your system.

They only introduce "noise" :roll:

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

shokunin

« Reply #30 on: 18 May 2005, 02:48 am »
Lights?

For John, it's mood lighting, ya know when the ladies come over...   :lol:

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
Lillian Muller
« Reply #31 on: 18 May 2005, 02:53 am »
John Casler is Lillian Muller's personal trainer (do a Google if you don't know this lady).  By all reports the woman positively glows in the dark, no lighting needed!

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Re: Lillian Muller
« Reply #32 on: 18 May 2005, 04:23 am »
Quote from: Brian Cheney
John Casler is Lillian Muller's personal trainer (do a Google if you don't know this lady).  By all reports the woman positively glows in the dark, no lighting needed!

ekovalsky

« Reply #33 on: 18 May 2005, 05:25 am »
Quote from: shokunin
Yup, talking to James each monoblock consumes 180watts at idle, also verified by my fluke clamp meter.  Heck my now sold, Dehavilland monoblocks would consume 400W each at idle for a 30W amp.  Although nothing like my woodworking machine and collector that takes nearly 13KW to run.  

The penalty for high electrical usage is insane in Orange County.  My electrical bills are close to $150-200 or higher a month, and consuming more electricity means an even higher penalty rate.  At least my gasoline bills are minor since I mainly work from home or at the airport or some other city.

My electrical bills run over $500 in the summer.  And power is cheap here (thanks to the Palo Verde nuclear plant, biggest and best in the world!) and our house is extremely efficient.  But four air conditioning units (probably a fifth to be added later this year just for the media room) and 4200 watts of exterior lighting add up.  Plus my wife doesn't like turning off lights :cuss:

John Casler

Re: Lillian Muller
« Reply #34 on: 18 May 2005, 02:05 pm »
Quote from: lonewolfny42
Quote from: Brian Cheney

Ya know, life is tough.

There are just some jobs and tasks that take everything you have to get through.

And working with LM "IS NOT" one of those jobs :lol:

ctviggen

« Reply #35 on: 18 May 2005, 03:50 pm »
ekovalsky,

Have you thought of X10?  I use this to turn on and off lights (now, only in my HT; before, throughout my house).  You can set up a system you can operate from any room in the house.  However, it does add some noise to the wiring, but the noise is only generated during commands, which are of short duration.  And AZ is some of the cheapest electricity in the country.

ekovalsky

« Reply #36 on: 18 May 2005, 04:41 pm »
ekovalsky,

Have you thought of X10?  I use this to turn on and off lights (now, only in my HT; before, throughout my house).  You can set up a system you can operate from any room in the house.  However, it does add some noise to the wiring, but the noise is only generated during commands, which are of short duration.  And AZ is some of the cheapest electricity in the country.

I already installed an X10 system.  When I had the PS Audio P1000 regenerator it kept it from working.

Next year I plan on getting rid of X10 and replacing with Control4 or maybe Crestron/Lutron.  X10 is cheap but not very reliable, at least in my house.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #37 on: 18 May 2005, 05:00 pm »
I have Lutron Spacers and they work great.  I downloaded codes (ccf) for my Pronto; remote has them integrated, and macro'd for several scenes, etc.  Very inexpensive, simple and low noise (at least on my circuits).  Don't even need to buy their remote or remote module.

Ted