New Album recommendation

Mike D

New Album recommendation
« on: 16 May 2005, 03:39 pm »
The new Robert Plant album is very good.  It reminds me of Houses of the Holy.  I highly recommend it.  His other solo albums had such terrible hit songs that I never even considered Robert Plant to be a good writer post LZ days.  This album titled "Mighty Rearranger" is the best new album for my tastes that I have heard for about five years.

Wal Mart has it so the next time you find yourself shopping for something lame with your spouse at Wally Word, cheer yourself up by buying this CD.  

You musicians out there will find it surprisingly advanced.  The guitar player has a fetish with placing straight eighth notes on top of a swing feel.
 :nono:
It takes a bit of getting used to, but he crams it down your throat so you eventually accept it.    

Enjoy

Would anyone care to share any other new music recommendations?  Please?  My collection needs a refresher.

DeadFish

New Album recommendation
« Reply #1 on: 16 May 2005, 04:23 pm »
Thanks for the tip, Mike.
I actually bought the album after seeing Plant on the tube last week talking about it, but haven't had a chance to listen yet.
Also bought the new one by Madeleine Peyroux after listening to her first album 'dreamland' for a week or so.  
She plays a variety of vintage as well as original stuff, with a voice not unlike a Billie Holiday sound, but for me the best part is her back up people and the arrangements.
Particularly in 'dreamland', there is a minimalist approach that just rocks  my world, showing a discrete grasp of the music.  You gotta hear it.
A great buddy of mine from high school that I have reconnected with in the last year brought it over after being here a few times listening to what I liked.  This gift of an album showed me he was listening to what I was playing.
(and 'dreamland' is only $11.99 at Best Buy!)
Happy trails,
...off to work.

Regards,
DeadFish

PhilNYC

New Album recommendation
« Reply #2 on: 16 May 2005, 05:13 pm »
Quote from: DeadFish

I actually bought the album after seeing Plant on the tube last week talking about it, .

Hey, I did too!  He was on Letterman and sounded pretty good performing one of the songs.  Haven't received it yet (ordered on Amazon)...

Was a fan of his The Principle of Moments solo CD, but he lost me completely on Now and Zen (remember Tall Cool One?)...

Scott F.

New Album recommendation
« Reply #3 on: 16 May 2005, 06:23 pm »
I've treated myself to a few new pieces of music lately. Like you guys I saw RP on Letterman and thought to myself that the song he did sounded pretty good. But like you Mike, I have always discounted him because his solo releases weren't very good (IMO). I'll surf over to Amazon and pick it up.

Here's a few decent ones that I've picked up in the past week or so;

Shane Nickolson - It's a Movie - Pretty typical formula rock but quite good though. If you like Crowded House (Tim Finns vocals) you'll love this release.

Adam Rafferty Trio - Three Souls - Guitar based jazz trio, quite good. I'ts sort of like Wes Montgomery meets the new Euro-Jazz sound (laid back). Quite good and killer recording quality.

Tord Gustovson Trio - The Ground - Piano based jazz trio. Ultra laid back new Euro-Jazz sound. It's yummy

NIN - With Teeth (on Vinyl) - Euclid has this one on the shelves for $14. It comes with an extra song over the CD. It's a-typical NIN sound for 50% of the record. Trent has gone melodic ...... sort of ...... or as much as he is capable. Still trying to wrap my mind around it. I like it, just dont quite know where he's coming from yet.

Wayne Shorter - don't remember the name but it was some concept album (Blue Note re-release on vinyl). Good grief this thing sucks. I made it about 5 minutes into side one and had to put on something else. Anybody into Wayne? Take this album please.

Got a few others too but they slip my mind at the moment. They must not have been worthy of mention.