TV as preamp for daisy chained amps

mcgsxr

TV as preamp for daisy chained amps
« on: 16 May 2005, 03:29 pm »
I am lucky enough to be moving into a new house in August, and part of that space will be the ability to unchain my 2 channel system from my HT system.

In the new place, I will have a dedicated 2 channel area in the basement, where I can enjoy my Hagerman Clarinet, my Mensa DIO, my Bolder Teac, and some new DIY speakers that I will construct.

Also in the new place, is a great family room, open concept off the kitchen.  In this space, I would like to do a little 2.2 HT system.  I want to use my Vinnie Teac, and a pair of powered subs, with my DIY Cable KIT41 speakers.  The KIT41 is almost complete (Xovers tonight, and then final assembly sometime this week) and I plan to build up a couple of "matching" subs - I will construct some boxes that mimic the shape of the KIT41, to act as stands for them, and house a 10 inch sub, and an amp, per side.

FYI - the Teac cannot run speaker level inputs to the sub amps, as that is a no go with the design of the Tripath.

So, here is the complication.  My wife does not wish to learn how to use a bunch of gear, regardless of if it sounds better - I respect this, and given that this is the family room on the main floor of the house, I agree that it should look "normal".

I want to run all the sources (DVD, VHS, Satellite) into the Sony, and then use the variable outs from the TV, to the RCA ins of the sub amps (one per side) and then from the RCA outs of each sub amp, on to the Teac.

That way, the KIT41 run full range, and the subs are fed the same variable signal from the TV, that will be for any source connected to the TV.  In this manner, my wife can simply continue to use the Sony remote that she already is familiar with, and I get to hear far better sound than I otherwise would.

SO, finally - what is the question?

The question IS - how well will the Sony deal with driving the input impedence of the sub amps (rated at  22K), and then tied to the Teac (rated at 47K).

Any ideas?  Am I going to fry something?  Will it do awful things to any of the gear?

I would appreciate any thoughts on this, so that I can either start planting the seeds of a better solution, or rest easy that this is fine.

Thanks in advance,