Clari-T, Red Wine Teac compared

geofstro

• Sound Galleries: High-End Audio in Monaco
« on: 15 May 2005, 03:17 pm »
I'm now the proud owner of both a Clari-T and Red Wine Teac and figured some of you might be interested in my impressions of how the two compare.

Firstly I wouldn't want this to be thought of as a 'shoot-out' between these two amps, since I believe they're both excellent, although in different ways, and in any case it cannot really be comparing like with like since the Clari-T doesn't need to be used with a pre-amp, whereas this edition of the Red Wine Teac does. The pre-amp I've been using is the Tube Fi-Y which is designed to be partnered with Don Garbers Fi-X SET amp.

Obviously use of the Fi-Y is going to be contributing something to the sound which may or may not be welcome depending on subjective taste. I did briefly try the Fi-Y in combination with the Clari-T; but preferred the Clari-T tout seul.

With the Clari-T's volume at full the Fi-Y seemed to add a richness and fullness to the sound; but at the expense of some of the Clari-T's amazing transparency. On top of that, we now had noise back in the system courtesy of the Fi-Y which has always generated a certain amount of noise in this system, whatever amp it's partnered with. (This is despite having identified and ameliorated all the ground loops I could find). I put much of this down to the less than ideal mains in my apartment. That detracts from another of the Clari-T's great strenghts, of course, which is its complete silence when running alone. It's just not possible to hear anything coming out of the speakers with the Clari-T apart from music. This is despite the fact that the transport and DAC connected to it are plugged in.

The Clari-T is the ultimate amp I've heard for transparency in the mid-band. I've been through a number of tube and other amps trying to maximise transparency in that vital midrange and, for me, the Clari-T is the best I've heard in that respect and I wouldn't be surpised if it bettered what some people pay a hell of a lot more for some exotic SET amps. This 'transparency' and the ultra low noise floor are obviously related. For me the term 'transparency' alludes to just how natural, real and in the room instruments and voices sound.

With the Clari-T, intruments are uncannily natural and 'there' in that vital midrange where most of the music takes place. It's also a great strength of the single driver high efficiency speakers I've been favoring. In this system I'm using Horn Shoppe horns. Since I got these speakers, there have been times when, while music's playing, I sometimes hear a noise, usually when I'm not in the same room as the speakers and the 'noise' is so real it startles me and I ask if anyone dropped anything. Then I listen closer to the music and realise that 'noise' which didn't sound in any way reproduced is part of the music, a percussion intrument of some sort. A favorite oldie of mine, 'Curtis Mayfield live 1970' demonstrates this well. The marimbas and other percussion intruments are just so 'there' with the Clari-T.

This 'thereness' seems to diminish slightly as we ascend towards the higher frequencies, which still tend to sound a little dry. This could very well be that the Clari-T needs to run in a bit longer. The initial stridency was gone after the first 100 hours; but I haven't played it much beyond that.

When it comes to the lower frequencies, there aren't any particular anomolies with the Clar-T. What bass I hear sounds 'musical' and natural enough, there's just a little less of it than I would like.

I guess having spent a good part of my life chasing this 'tranparency' and 'naturalness' and having found it, I'm now getting greedy and looking for the icing on the cake and some reinforcement down below.

Now the Red Wine Teac:

Ever had the experience of an old friend you thought you knew well, turning up after not being seen for a while and having changed somewhat?

I was always very fond of the old stock Teac. There was just something that sounded so 'right' about it whatever system I tried it on. It had obvious flaws which could make it sound 'artifcial' and 'electronic' at times. It could exagerate problems in recordings, such as mis-use/overuse of eq, so I could only really listen to it on the best recordings. Nevertheless I enjoyed it on whatever speakers I tried it with. That included my old ProAc Supertowers, whose metal dome tweeters I realised I'd never heard properly before. The highs seemed to soar to the heavens. I think this proves Dans point about digital amps suiting metal drivers well. I tried it with my other single driver speaker system, which is a pair of Rethm 2nds (using Lowther DX4) drivers. On the best recordings, such as Antonio Forciones' 'Touch Wood' it sounded pretty awesome. Only lacking a little in the bass compared to my previous amp in this system, the Plinius SA50 which was richer sounding; but not nearly as transparent.

My old friend had gained a fair amount of weight, now seeming like a far more serious contender, with a handsome logo on the back side and a rather large additional appendage on the front. The weight is, of course, due to the two SLA batteries and the serious looking switch which Vinnie installed on the front for switching the amp between on to off/charging. The switch being on the front, is more convenient than the Clari-T's and it has a nice chunky, definite feel to it, to the extent that it's almost become a perverse sort of pleasure to switch it between its two modes.

So after about two weeks of fairly heavy use, how does it sound? Well, I'm glad to say, my old friend hasn't changed to such a degree that its unrecognizable. It's old familiar strengths are there accept now it actually seems to have become less fussy about source material. My cable subscription includes some music channels which I believe are in MPEG2 and have been converted to analog before they exit the STB. Well, some of the live performances of classical, jazz, etc. have sounded way better than the source would suggest. The amp extends further in both directions than the Clari-T and continues to sound natural through the full tonal range. The highs extend as far as Eds Horns could possibly allow them to and without the previous stridency and artificiality of the stock Teac.

I have a number of CD's which I've burned to incorporate Digital room correction for this room/system and the best of them are incredibly natural sounding with the Red Wine Teac. Although if I really tried to analyse the sound I would probably admit that with the additional noise introduced by the Fi-Y it isn't as transparent as the Clari-T. The sound is so musical and enjoyable though, it makes such analysis difficult to accomplish. Sometimes I fancy I hear some resonance on certain intruments within a particular frequency range. This could be due to the Teac still warming up or it could be that those resonances are a characteristic of the intruments themselves. Many intruments are afterall mechanical devices which have natural resonances that are part of the music making and should afterall be there and I think sometimes I've become oversensitive to these. The Teac may actually be reproducing them as they should be heard for the first time.

The Teac seems quite sensitive to the cable used between it and the preamp feeding it. At the beginning I used some Kimber Hero. I noticed the first time my wife, who's a keen dancer, heard the Teac she started spontaneously dancing around the apartment. The next day I swopped it out for another cable I was trying out and the dancing stopped. (Which was a relief in some ways) When I re-introduced the Kimber the next day, the dancing begun again and I must admit, I much prefer it that way.

Incredibly the depth, extension and slam the Red Wine Teac is getting out of the Horns is something I just never would have believed they were capable of. I haven't measured how low they're going; but it is satsfying with most 'real world' music. I have a subwoofer on order. Do I need it? We shall see.

With the Red Wine Teac ultimately I come back to this idea of 'rightness', which sounds like a bit of a cop out. What I believe I'm trying to convey by that is that this amp is very well balanced.

I think the stock amp was as well. The Red Wine mods have taken it further though and improved its quality in all directions, while respecting that balance.

On Vinyl, which is still probably my best source in this system, the Clari-T is the amp that caused me to hear the music making on familiar discs in ways I had never heard before. For example, I could really understand Keith Jarret's phrasing on 'Koln Concert', his musical voice, if you like (not the actual singing accompaniment he sometimes makes, which anoys some listeners).

On the Red Wine Teac, I wasn't sure if these aspects came across quite as well; but having heard them for the first time grace au Clari-T, I could now pick them out, if I chose to listen for that. I was more likely to be carried away on this disk by the driving rythms which the Teac does better due to its afformentioned strenghts in the bass.

My enjoyment of the Red Wine Teac, despite the noise introduced by having to use it with the Fi-Y caused me to question for a moment just how important that absolute silence, when music isn't playing, really is. Although I sure appreciate it when I put my ear to the speaker with the Clari-T on when nothing's playing.

I'm sure it probably is still an advantage and Vinnies new customisation options with the Teac would allow me to hear how it sounds with a zero noise floor as well, since he can include the inputs from his Puri-T passive preamp.

On the other hand it could be that some of that musicality and richness that I so like about the sound of the Red Wine Teac now is contributed by using it in combination with the Fi-Y (and Kimber Hero cable). Some reviews of other digital amps at 6 moons and Stereo Times have found they benefit from a tube pre in front of them; but maybe that won't prove to be true of the Red Wine Teac with passive pre built in.

It's far too early for me to draw any definitive conclusions about either of these two excellent amps. Anyway, it's all a learning experience and all a lot of fun. I've learned a tremendous amount from these forums and am continuing to. I'm particularly looking forward to Dans comparison of these two. Not sure which version of the Teac he's getting. Either way it should prove interesting and enlightening reading.

I'm also itching to try the Subwoofer with both these amps. I don't have any experience with subs, so any tips would be very welcome.

I believe the Teac was always full of potential and something special right from the beginning. Anyone who's had theirs modded to bring out it's strenghts and clobber its weaknesses is likely to have a great amp today, whether it plugs into a mains or a charger.

I'm sticking with Vinnies approach because it's worked out so well with this amp and with the Clari-T. Also Vinnie is offering a number of customisation options now to incorporate his passive preamp and a battery powered DAC into the same enclosure.

I have a second stock Teac that I swear is inching its way closer to the door each day, as if it's willing itself to hop on a plane to MA  :D

toxteth ogrady

« Reply #1 on: 15 May 2005, 04:04 pm »
WoW! You have a Clari-T, a Red Wine modified Teac, and you live in Monaco... Life is good!

Thanks for the excellent review.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Re: Clari-T, Red Wine Teac compared
« Reply #2 on: 15 May 2005, 08:39 pm »
Hi Geofstro,

Thank you for your very detailed and thoughtful review of the Red Wine Teac, and your comparisons to the stock Clari-T-Amp.  

Quote from: geofstro

Although if I really tried to analyse the sound I would probably admit that with the additional noise introduced by the Fi-Y it isn't as transparent as the Clari-T.

Yes, adding in a tube preamp in front of the amp will definitely add noise and coloration to the sound.  A Puri-T just might be the way to go in order to hear the same tranparency that you are hearing with the Clari-T (with passive volume control)!  :mrgreen:

On the Red Wine Teac, I wasn't sure if these aspects came across quite as well; but having heard them for the first time grace au Clari-T, I could now pick them out, if I chose to listen for that. I was more likely to be carried away on this disk by the driving rythms which the Teac does better due to its afformentioned strenghts in the bass.

Again, the Fi-Y is, without a doubt, adding tube coloration (which may make the sound very musical and fun to listen to...not a bad thing if that is the case) that is taking away from the speed and transparency of the Red Wine Teac.  

I think the stock amp was as well. The Red Wine mods have taken it further though and improved its quality in all directions, while respecting that balance.

My main modifcation goal for the Teac was to transform it into a higher powered Clari-T  (for use with less efficient speakers) by:

-- Removing the grain/hash that was very noticeable in the stock Teac, and obtaining the same black background as the Clari-T (SLA battery power came to mind  :wink: )
-- Improve bass response, control, speed
-- Obtain the same lightning-fast transient response / dynamics as the Clari-T

I'm happy to hear that you are enjoying it very much, and finding the sound to be "balanced."  

I have a second stock Teac that I swear is inching its way closer to the door each day, as if it's willing itself to hop on a plane to MA  

"Always remember Frodo (Geofstro): the Ring (Teac) is trying to get back to its master. it wants to be found."  :lol:

On this one, let's install a battery powered Monica 2 dac, stepped attenuator, RCA inputs and input select switch, and subwoofer output jacks...Reali-T style, with more power!  8)   8)   8)

Thanks again, Geofstro, for posting your impressions...much appreciated!
We look forward to hearing back after you put some more useage on the Teac.

Have fun!

mcgsxr

« Reply #3 on: 15 May 2005, 11:21 pm »
Ahh my friend Geofstro, so glad to see that you are happy with your version of a modded Teac.  I know from the notes that we traded months ago, that you have enjoyed the stock one much, and it is great that you found a way to get a battery involved with your Teac, if that is your chosen direction.

I think that your description of the stock Teac is fair, I too noticed some stridency with the stock unit and metal dome tweeters, and it is great to read about your thoughts on the battery Teac, as well as some form of comparison between the Teac and the Clari-T.

It will be interesting to read Dmason's thought on that very subject - there are only a few out there with both pieces, and lucky me, they are guys whose ears I trust!

As for sub use with the Teac - remember, this is not an amp that you can tie to the speaker level inputs of a sub - you will want to use RCA connections for that - something to do with a common ground, or lacking one, or some such.

In any case, thanks for your note, and good luck with the rest of the build!

-Richard-

« Reply #4 on: 16 May 2005, 02:08 am »
Hi Geofstro,

A wonderful read...thorough, penetrating, precise, and
filled with wonderful insights...

Nothing less than a model of careful observation of a very
difficult subject...and a classic exercise in good judgement...

Future comparisons of these 2 amps will also help to further flesh
out the differences between them as they are used on different systems
so that we can make informed decisions of which amp would be better suited
to our particular systems, or temperaments, or the directions we think
we want to go...

It would be equally enlightening to hear your evolving take of
the comparison of these 2 amps as they play on your system
over time...

Very exciting stuff!

Warm regards -Richard-

geofstro

« Reply #5 on: 16 May 2005, 10:12 am »
Thanks Vinnie, Mark and Richard for your feedback on this early comparison of these two digital wonders.

And toxteth ogrady, you're right, life is good, although it has its ups and downs everywhere. As I write, I'm recovering from a hernia operation. Everything's fine as long as I don't sneeze, which I was caused to do from a combination of my cats hair and an open window yesterday as I typed the comparison. :mrgreen:

Looking back over my comments, I realise it could be interpreted as though I was making too little of the zero noise floor obtained with the Clari-T. That wasn't my intention. I really do find it reassuring when I put my ear to a speaker without music playing and hear pure silence. I then know for certain that nothing can be polluting the audio signal when it's playing.

Actually I first experienced this with the stock Teac in the other system, which has clean mains and I couldn't detect any sound from the speakers without music. So it is probably achievable wihtout batteries; but with the batteries it's guaranteed to be pollution free whatever your mains circumstances.

Thanks also Mark for pointing out that I won't be able to use either of these amps speaker outputs with these subs. Vinnie has already checked that point with me and the power sub I've ordered has line inputs as well.

The sub I've ordered is reputed to be lightening fast, so I'm hoping it will keep up with these amps and Eds Horns:

http://www.tbisound.com/magvipsu.htm

I like your proposition of built in DAC and Passive Pre for my other Teac Vinnie. The idea of a comlete system in one box, isolated from mains really appeals to me. Just add transport and speakers. I might even try one of those battery transports ChairGuy mantioned a while ago, to hear how a complete system divorced from the mains can sound. Firstly I really want to concentrate on getting this sub working with the Clari-T especially. I suspect the combination might prove to be awesome.

Cheers

geoff

ohenry

« Reply #6 on: 16 May 2005, 11:21 am »
geofstro,
I think you'll like the TBI/Horn combo, it is nimble and blends well with the horns.  Also, its size belies its sound, much like the horns.  If you are like me, you'll appreciate the foundation it provides when crossed over at 40 hz.  Along with the horns, the TBI is another static part of my audio life.

Have fun, Henry

geofstro

« Reply #7 on: 16 May 2005, 11:33 am »
Thanks Henry. Sounds encouraging. I'll certainly try it at 40hz. Out of interest are you limiting the bass going to the horns with a crossover or just setting the 40hz on the TBI?

Thanks again

geoff

ohenry

« Reply #8 on: 16 May 2005, 11:59 am »
I just simply use the RCA inputs from the preamp and dial the sub amp crossover down to 40Hz.  I, too, am currently using the little tripath chip amps and can no longer can the speaker level inputs which does make it more difficult to get the bass right IMO.  I found being conservative with volume and crossing over low is key in making it work.  Also, in my room it sounds better a few feet from the front wall.

You'll find that it's tempting to use too much volume at first, but you'll eventually settle down to a seamless meshing of low frequencies.  I use mine 100% of the time as I can't corner-load in my room (too many doors and openings in the way).

It's too bad you couldn't make it to Ed's over the weekend, what a culture shock that would have been (Monaco ===> Leesville, SC). :lol: I think you would have enjoyed it as we would have enjoyed seeing you.

MaxCast

« Reply #9 on: 16 May 2005, 12:37 pm »
Quote from: toxteth ogrady
WoW! You have a Clari-T, a Red Wine modified Teac, and you live in Monaco... Life is good!

Thanks for the excellent review.

Sorry to butt in, but I love your Young Ones avatar :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Brings back some fun memories from the late 80's.
Anyone find any videos of them?
 :lol:  :lol:

Edit: Searched and found them (duh!)...on the list to buy.

geofstro

« Reply #10 on: 16 May 2005, 12:59 pm »
Thanks a lot Henry. I'm sure those tips will prove very useful. As I said, I'm a real novice at integrating subs.

I've got Eds Horns corner loaded as per his preferred config, which is with the back corners of the Horn just touching the side walls. Seems to work really well in my room. Also as I said, I'm getting pretty amazing bass now with the Red Wine Teac, so my final settings may end up a little different to yours. I'll start with your settings and see how I get along.

Any particular tips for phase, or is that more down to subjective taste.

Thanks again.

I'd love to visit sometime. Would have been a bit too much excitement for me last weekend, what with being laid up with a hernia  :cry:

Cheers

geoff