Fiberglass question

gongos

Fiberglass question
« on: 14 May 2005, 10:36 pm »
Does anyone know what would be a good substitute for Owens Corning 703 Semi-Rigid Fiberglass and where to find it? I've looked at insulationworld.com, but am not sure if they have what I'm looking for.

PhilNYC

Fiberglass question
« Reply #1 on: 14 May 2005, 10:53 pm »
I think this is what you're looking for:

http://www.insulationworld.com/prodView.asp?idproduct=394

gongos

Fiberglass question
« Reply #2 on: 15 May 2005, 04:11 am »
I think it is to, but since there's no info I'm not sure. I guess that's what a phone is for.

Steve

fiberglass
« Reply #3 on: 10 Jun 2005, 12:18 pm »
Hi Gongos,

If you are planning on using the insulation in the corners, I have found that in the corners behind the speakers can smear, defocus the sound. Good luck.

Quote from: gongos
I think it is to, but since there's no info I'm not sure. I guess that's what a phone is for.

warnerwh

Re: fiberglass
« Reply #4 on: 11 Jun 2005, 05:03 am »
Quote from: Steve
Hi Gongos,

If you are planning on using the insulation in the corners, I have found that in the corners behind the speakers can smear, defocus the sound. Good luck.

I've found exactly the opposite.  Absorption behind the speakers is helpful on both setups I've had making the sound less diffused.  I'd go so far as to say if the wall behind your speakers is very reflective, especially with glass, sonics will definitely suffer.

Steve

Re: fiberglass
« Reply #5 on: 11 Jun 2005, 03:59 pm »
Dear Warneth,

Maybe we are thinking of two different situations? I was thinking more of bass minimumization whereas yours may have been more of a midrange problem?

Maybe as the back wall becomes more reflective, and/or what frequencies are being reflected, maybe the situation indicates whether the insulation is a plus than minus?

What do you think Warneth?  :)

Thanks.

Quote from: warnerwh
Quote from: Steve
Hi Gongos,

I've found exactly the opposite.  Absorption behind the speakers is helpful on both setups I've had making the sound less diffused.  I'd go so far as to say if the wall behind your speakers is very reflective, especially with glass, sonics will definitely suffer.

warnerwh

Fiberglass question
« Reply #6 on: 11 Jun 2005, 07:50 pm »
All rooms are different.  My entire front wall and parts of the sides have 3 and 4" wedge foam. There's also bass traps in each corner.  I've not heard better sound top to bottom or imaging.  In general with systems I've seen the wall behind the speakers needs at minimum some treatment and also some bass traps.  In my other house I only had some treatment on the front wall and one bass trap. That was a major improvement in clarity over none.  I've read some people like the opposite with the reflective area of the room behind the speakers and the more damped area behind them. I've not heard this setup but suspect it would work.  The main thing is to experiment in your own room. I'm inclined to think the wall treatment behind the speakers give the best clarity.  Ethan Winer would know more about this as this is my personal experience.  I've noticed though that there are alot of rooms set up by knowledgeable people with alot of treatment behind the speakers for bass through treble.

Steve

Fiberglass question
« Reply #7 on: 11 Jun 2005, 11:34 pm »
Hi Warnerwh,

I have a 5 sided room, and slanted ceiling, so the resonances are minimized. Like you say, it will depend on the type of room, although I don't know exactly why the insulation smeared the midrange. Behind the listener seemed to clear things a little, absorbing reflections. The bass was actually a bit anemic with any insulation used, so I removed it, but still have lots of damping. Of course I have alot of furniture, wall to wall carpeting, and alot on the side walls. The walls behind the speakers are angled, so that may help too.

Take care Warnerwh and have a great weekend. Enjoyable talking to you.
Steve

Addition, 14th. The difference might be 3" foam and real bass traps vs a full width fiberglass roll from the local lumber yard?

Any thoughts?

Quote from: warnerwh
All rooms are different.  My entire front wall and parts of the sides have 3 and 4" wedge foam. There's also bass traps in each corner.  I've not heard better sound top to bottom or imaging.  In general with systems I've seen the wall behind the speakers needs at minimum some treatment and also some bass traps.  In my other house I only had some treatment on the front wall and one bass trap. That was a major improvement in clarity over none.  I've read some people like the opposite with the reflective area  ...