xlr, or rca?

jesserparker

xlr, or rca?
« on: 31 Mar 2003, 08:03 pm »
so i'm about to rewire a tonearm i have, and i was wondering what the general consensus out there was on terminating it.  i'm running the cable uninterrupted from the tags to the amp, and wondered whether i should terminate the cable with an xlr or rca's.  if i use rca's i'll be using the eichmann bullet plugs, and if xlr most likely neutrik but perhaps switchcraft or even vampire.
all my amplification is either homebrew or highly modded, so the ampside termination is of no consequence, as i'll be able to swap that out at my leisure.  
if you out there do prefer xlr, do you run a 4-pin connector and still keep the ground seperate terminated in a spade connector to attach to ground, or do you use a 5-pin connector and ground it that way.  
i wondered why more phono cables (especially considering most detachable ones use the DIN connector on the arm end anyhow), use or offer the option of xlr connectors on them, and why more amplifiers do not offer at least the option of xlr phono inpluts?

jesse

Johnny

Re: xlr, or rca?
« Reply #1 on: 1 Apr 2003, 04:44 pm »
Hey Jesse,
Fancy meeting you here!
I revamped my TT last december, including the phono cable. I have a SAEC arm with the original DIN 5 pin outs. I made up a new cable using a Cardas female DIN connector, DH Labs BL-1 interconnect, and Eichman Bullet Plugs. The fifth pin (ground) has a separate lead and spade lug grounded at the preamp. I'm currently using a AT OC-9 low output MC and everything sounds just great. DH Labs tells me that this cable excels at low signal levels and I don't get the impression that its a limiting factor in this configuration. My vinyl collection is slaying CD's very night!  :guns:
Cheers,
Jy

Quote from: jesserparker
so i'm about to rewire a tonearm i have, and i was wondering what the general consensus out there was on terminating it.  i'm running the cable uninterrupted from the tags to the amp, and wondered whether i should terminate the cable with an xlr or rca's.  if i use rca's i'll be using the eichmann bullet plugs, and if xlr most likely neutrik but perhaps switchcraft or even vampire.
all my amplification is either homebrew or highly modded, so the ampside termination is of no consequence, as i'll be able to swap that out at my leisure.  
if you out there do prefer xlr, do you run a 4-pin connector and still keep the ground seperate terminated in a spade connector to attach to ground, or do you use a 5-pin connector and ground it that way.  
i wondered why more phono cables (especially considering most detachable ones use the DIN connector on the arm end anyhow), use or offer the option of xlr connectors on them, and why more amplifiers do not offer at least the option of xlr phono inpluts?

jesse