Cheap Granite Amp Stand for Stratos

F-100

« on: 12 May 2005, 04:55 am »
What do you all think of this granite amp stand for the Stratos. The granite base weight 60lbs and cost only $32.99.  :)

djbnh

« Reply #1 on: 12 May 2005, 11:01 am »
Looks good to me. FYI - I use granite / marble under my components including Odyssey gear. Cost = $0; I just pick up leftover pieces from a stone cutting business in town.

F-100

« Reply #2 on: 13 May 2005, 04:50 am »
Hi djbnh,
You can't beat it if it's free :)
As for my stand,  I bought them locally from Costco :). They are the granite umbrella base for outdoor furnitures. It come with wheels, rubber feet and  fit perfectly with the Stratos. IMO, they're better than those $200 amp stands that are selling at Agon.

TjMV3

« Reply #3 on: 13 May 2005, 12:28 pm »
This is all so confusing.

Some people use Granite,  and say it's the best- because marble resonates a high frequency. :roll:

Some people use Marble,  and say it's better-because garnite resonates a low frequency. :roll:

Then you have others claiming solid Maple is the best,  because it doesn't resonate,  but adds a natural, organic flavor. :roll:

Jeeeeeez.....What's the truth?  Is there any truth?  LOL

BTW,  nice amp stand!!  Looks marvelous!

jcoat007

« Reply #4 on: 13 May 2005, 09:50 pm »
Yes, there is truth!!!

I have David Copperfield levitate all my equipment when I am listening to it.  It's pretty expensive, but no rack is the best rack IMHO!!!   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Christof

« Reply #5 on: 13 May 2005, 09:56 pm »
F-100

Now see what you've done, you let the cat out of the bag.  You should have made a little brass logo plate, come up with some great marketing jazz, a website and sold them for $300ea. :wink:

c.

F-100

« Reply #6 on: 13 May 2005, 11:18 pm »
Hey Chris,
  I thought about that but just don't have any entrepreneur's blood in me. :).
I might even pick up another pair for the custom subs that you had built for me. Do you think it's a good match?

TjMV3

« Reply #7 on: 13 May 2005, 11:38 pm »
Quote from: jcoat007
Yes, there is truth!!!

I have David Copperfield levitate all my equipment when I am listening to it.  It's pretty expensive, but no rack is the best rack IMHO!!!   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

:mrgreen:  :lol:  :lol:

What days is he levitating for you?   Maybe I can hire him for his "off" days :mrgreen:

Christof

« Reply #8 on: 14 May 2005, 03:42 pm »
Probably better to couple the subs directly to the subfloor....it's CDX or plywood right?

c.

F-100

« Reply #9 on: 15 May 2005, 05:23 am »
No, it's 3/4" solid hardwood floor.

rosconey

« Reply #10 on: 15 May 2005, 10:38 am »
for subs i would add weight to the top  :mrgreen: i made a top for my large vmps sub out of marble and plywood .weighs about 100lbs-
there is a discusion awhile ago at the vmps circle