Custom Amplifier Build Service

Kevin P

• http://www.diycable.com
« on: 11 May 2005, 06:01 pm »
We are partnering up with Adire Audio the US importer of the Hypex amplifiers to offer custom amps.   We can build anything from 1-7 channel amps using the Hypex amplifier modules.  

Prices will vary based upon customer needs but a basic UCD180 amplifier would start around $750 bones for a basic 2 channel version.

All of these will be done on a custom basis so prices are completely dependent upon customer specifications.   The front panel of the amps are done on a custom basis with a CNC machine which gives us plenty of flexibility in design features.  

Here are some pictures from a few different amps we have already built.

kfr01

Wow!
« Reply #1 on: 11 May 2005, 07:19 pm »
This sounds fantastic and the price is actually very competitive compared to non-custom UCD-based products.  

So, do the planned custom options unclude things like the larger UCD module, volume control, --- maybe an integrated DAC?

Also, any chance of a couple standard kits to shave a few bucks for those of us w/ some soldering irons?  :-)

klh

« Reply #2 on: 11 May 2005, 08:44 pm »
Will 7 channels fit in the chassis?

Kevin P

« Reply #3 on: 11 May 2005, 08:57 pm »
Quote from: klh
Will 7 channels fit in the chassis?

I think we can but it's a tight fit.   It would push the labor price up $100-$200 but I think it's doable.

Kevin P

Re: Wow!
« Reply #4 on: 11 May 2005, 09:10 pm »
Quote from: kfr01
This sounds fantastic and the price is actually very competitive compared to non-custom UCD-based products.  

So, do the planned custom options unclude things like the larger UCD module, volume control, --- maybe an integrated DAC?

Also, any chance of a couple standard kits to shave a few bucks for those of us w/ some soldering irons?  :-)

Hey... if you have the money we can stick a coffee grinder in there.  :-)

Really... it's probably wise for people to keep things simple.   We have the ability to design and build an entire HT processor if you have enough money.   Is it practical?   Probably not unless your Bill Gates.

The volume control, remote, buffer/gain stage, larger UCD modules are all fairly easy and within the range of a reasonable project but once you start on massive engineering time the price is going to climb way beyond the average consumer's pain threshold.

In terms of kits I think we are going to pass for now.   The amount of time we have to spend on documentation and customer support is not trivial and can actually exceed what we can charge for doing the labor ourselves.

Jason1

« Reply #5 on: 11 May 2005, 09:23 pm »
Can you gives some details about the amp technology?

Also, whats the power output?

Kevin P

« Reply #6 on: 11 May 2005, 09:50 pm »
Quote from: Jason1
Can you gives some details about the amp technology?

Also, whats the power output?

Sure... most of what I'm refering to is the Hypex UCD modules sold by Adire Audio.  

www.hypex.nl

There are plenty of specifications on the Hypex site so I'll not rehash all of that but point you in the right direction.

Kevin P

« Reply #7 on: 11 May 2005, 11:15 pm »
I've been asked to give out some "standard" pricing on various amplifier configurations.    

UCD180 2-channel Amp:   $750

UCD180 3-channel Amp:  $950

UCD180 5-channel Amp:  $1450

The standard UCD400 adds about $105/channel to any of these configurations.   The price differential is due to the larger power supply and extra cost of the modules.

guest1632

« Reply #8 on: 12 May 2005, 10:16 am »
Quote from: Kevin P
I've been asked to give out some "standard" pricing on various amplifier configurations.    

UCD180 2-channel Amp:   $750

UCD180 3-channel Amp:  $950

UCD180 5-channel Amp:  $1450

The standard UCD400 adds about $105/channel to any of these configurations.   The price differential is due to the larger power supply and extra cost of the modules.

Hi Kevin,  Glad to see you'd finally got an amp to sell. Any idea of performance, how does it stack up with some of the other amps out there? What size is the chassis/case? Are you gonna use the supply mentioned on the other site? If not, can you give some details as to the power supply? Is this gonna be a truly mono configuration with 2 separate power supplies? What pre are you suggesting with these pieces? Any idea of the final weight? What are you gonna use for internal wiring? Will there be a detachable power cord? I think that takes care of most of my questions. I hope? Oooh, when can we start getting them from you?

Ray

Kevin P

« Reply #9 on: 12 May 2005, 02:18 pm »
Quote from: Ray Bronk
Hi Kevin,  Glad to see you'd finally got an amp to sell. Any idea of performance, how does it stack up with some of the other amps out there? What size is the chassis/case? Are you gonna use the supply mentioned on the other site? If not, can you give some details as to the power supply? Is this gonna be a truly mono configuration with 2 separate power supplies? What pre are you suggesting with these pieces? Any idea of the final weight? What are you gonna use for internal wiring? Will there be a detachable ...

Holy cow!   Are you trying to give me carple tunnel syndrome?   :o  

Performance:  They are your standard Hypex UCD modules.   How they perform has been talked about endlessly on the web.  

Chassis:  Our standard Exodus Chassis dimensions:  approx:  16" x 12" x 3.5"

Power supply:   We are using one we build based upon the Hypex schematics.   Since they are custom we can build them with whatever the builder wants so we don't have a pre-determined power supply.   We will change it per the application.

Preamp:  I don't have a specific recommendation.   It will work with any properly designed unit.   If it were me I'd get the ModWright unit as it rocks and Dan is a quality guy to deal with.

Weight: ????

Internal wire:     We can use whatever the builder desires but the price is adjusted accordingly.   My standard is a product I get from Japan.   It's what we suggest and don't have an upcharge for using.   I'd tell you what it is but it's a trade secret.  8)

Detatchable Power Cord:   Yes

Availability:   Now, unless you ask any more questions.  ;-)

guest1632

« Reply #10 on: 12 May 2005, 11:26 pm »
Quote from: Kevin P
Holy cow!   Are you trying to give me carple tunnel syndrome?  
Hi Kevin, Well, lol, just thought I'd ask you all the questions in one entry. That way, I wouldn't have to take up your valuable time with multiple entries. So can we get that amp with a truly mono design, having two separate supplies in one box? If so, what you'd estimate the cost to be? Weight, well, probably not a fair question yet. I mostly go to this circle, so don't know any others that have had discussion about this particular Class D setup. Thanks for your time.

Ray  

Performance:  They are your standard Hypex UCD modules.   How they perform has been talked about endlessly on the web.  

Chassis:  Our standard Exodus Chassis dimensions:  approx:  16" x 12" x 3.5"

Power supply:   We are using one we build based upon the Hypex schematics.   Since they are custom we can build them with whatever the builder wants so we don't have a pre-determined power supply.   We will change it per the applicatio ...