Duntech Sovereign Speakers

jafmaf89

Duntech Sovereign Speakers
« on: 25 May 2024, 10:14 pm »
Hello,

Last year I traded mono amps for Duntech Sovereign speakers.   They are in a most beautiful rosewood finish.

After using Sound Lab A1 speakers for near 30 years, the Sovereigns were bold and dynamic, incredible tonal coherency but seriously lacking detail.  Ultimately, I removed a crossover board, traced out the 4 schematics, and removed all parts except the large inductor.  Each part was given a designation, measured, and saved to a spreadsheet.  Over the course of a couple months, with much research, I replaced all but that inductor with modern parts.  Only issue was circuit board space.  Also replaced the connectors with 2mm banana connectors.

With both speakers updated, the resolution was much much improved.  And far greater extension on the top.  But the treble and upper-mid drivers were just a wee bit too forward.  I reduced the load resistors for the single tweeter and upper-mid drivers by 10% and everything amazingly locked into place.

After using these speakers for TV and movies for several months, all the parts clearly had 100s of hours of break-in.  Finally, some serious music listening resulted in a quality that I did not expect from these 35+ year old speakers.

Has anybody else here made the effort to update these speakers, and if so, what was the result?

John

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Duntech Sovereign Speakers
« Reply #1 on: 25 May 2024, 11:13 pm »
Congratulations for your herculean effort, this is a great vintage speaker. What you say make sense, being a 4-way desing one cant expect details galore, the drivers were said to be Dynaudio.

Phil A

Re: Duntech Sovereign Speakers
« Reply #2 on: 25 May 2024, 11:39 pm »
Welcome!

jafmaf89

Power Supplies for miniDSP streamer devices
« Reply #3 on: 9 Jun 2024, 09:56 pm »
Hello,

I have recently installed the miniDSP SHD Studio streamer device in my system to drive a Lampizator Big 6 DAC.  Currently I am using the supplied wall wart power supply but am anxious to try external power supplies.  I have my eyes on the Plixir devices, the Elite and Statement.

Has anyone tried many power supplies, and which ones worked out well in terms of overall musicality, detail and value.  Was there one that was really close to much higher priced units that makes it an absolute best buy?

John