Next Gathering at my Place - 5/21 & 5/22...

hometheaterdoc

• Industry Participant
« on: 10 May 2005, 03:45 pm »
Everyone,

Mark your calendars.  I am hosting a two day event next weekend.  I know a number of us have issues with Saturdays.  Others have issues with Sundays.  My solution:  have a gathering on both days!! :)

Date:  Saturday May 21st and Sunday May 22nd
Time:  Noon until everyone leaves on both days.

Purpose of the meeting:

1)  To showcase all the new toys that I have acquired in recent months.  

a) Tact Audio - There will be a demonstration of Tact Audio full room correction for both two channel stereo performance and surround sound applications.  I have both the RCS 2.2X two channel preamp setup in one demo room and the TCS MKII surround sound processor in a second demo room.

b)  Usher Audio Dancer II CP-8571 - the new Dancer series models with the beryllium oxide tweeters and new midrange driver.  I'll be showing this set of speakers with a variety of amplifier choices to show how its character can change even with room correction involved.  I think folks will really like these guys :)

c)  NuForce analog switching amplifiers - among the other companies recently added to my stable, I too was intrigued to try out these neat little amps.  For the money, they are the real deal and then some.  But I'll let folks make up their own minds :)

2)  An amplifier comparison.  I will have a number of correction curves preprogrammed on the Tact preamps for various amplifier measurements:

a) Butler Audio TDB-5150 or TDB-2250 hybrid amplifier
b) Tact Audio S2150 all digital amplifier
c) NuForce Reference 8 and Reference 8B analog switching amplifiers
d) AVM Evolution M5 monoblocks
e) AVM Evolution A2 integrated through the processor loop
f) possibly Bel Canto Evo4 GenII amp if its returned to me in time

If you would like to throw another amp into the mix and see how it compares, please let me know up front.  We can do a quick measurement and correction curve for it as well.

There is an extremely outside shot that the new VR-4SR from Von Schweikert will be here by then, but I seriously doubt it.  Not to mention they won't be broken in by then.

Other speakers on display and can be used:

Usher X-718s
Usher S-520s
Usher CP-727s
Von Schweikert VR-1s
Von Schweikert LCR-15s
Phase Technology PC 3.1 MKIIs
Von Schweikert VR-4jr

3)  I'm pretty sure I am going to setup and show you that you can make a pair of VR-4jrs from Von Schweikert work in a really small room if you have the aid of the Tact room correction device.  I think you'll get a kick out of what it does when I put a set in my small demo room....

Any other ideas, etc. are welcome.  But I think this should keep us busy for the afternoon.  We've recently tried to do a little too much in these meets.  Hopefully with everything setup before hand, we can zoom through some stuff and make this a worthwhile meet.

If anyone needs directions or more info, let me know....  If you wouldn't mind, post here if you plan to attend and which day you think you'll be coming so that I can get a count.  See you all next weekend!!

dhwilkin

« Reply #1 on: 10 May 2005, 04:02 pm »
I'll definitely show up, I'm interested in hearing the Tact room correction and VS speakers, maybe Usher speakers as well. Probably go Saturday, not sure yet. Could you send me directions, please?

Hantra

« Reply #2 on: 10 May 2005, 11:26 pm »
W00t!  I'm coming!  

I have lots I could bring.  I may still have this Analog Research prototype if you all want to hear, and a Levinson 431 if it's broken in by then.

Looking forward to it!

claud

« Reply #3 on: 11 May 2005, 10:02 pm »
I'm comming too!!!!!!!!!!
Or at least going to your place for an eargasm. I'll call or something to figger out the best day.

Inscrutable

• http://home.earthlink.net/~inscrutabl/index.html
« Reply #4 on: 12 May 2005, 01:02 am »
I'll be there sometime ... a safe distance from claud's ears  :o

Zero

« Reply #5 on: 12 May 2005, 01:07 am »
I will check and see if I can possibly make this.  Hmm would anyone mind me throwing in the cheapy Teac to get slaughtered by the competition ?

Carlman

« Reply #6 on: 12 May 2005, 01:08 am »
I don't know which day but I'm planning to attend the Audio-orgy.  :lol:

sheadlee

« Reply #7 on: 12 May 2005, 11:14 am »
I could make it on Sunday.

However, if I'm the only one for that day, then I wouldn't want to do that to you. I'll keep a watch on the replies.

hometheaterdoc

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 12 May 2005, 01:12 pm »
Excellent!!  It looks like we have a few folks coming.  Please pass the word to whomever you think might enjoy a listen.

A couple updates:

1)  The VR-4SR cabinets are in house right now in the VSA factory in California.  Since my demo pair of speakers are at the top of the pre-order list, there is still an outside shot that they will be in house by the weekend.  But no guarentees.  I'm just excited that they are in house and I will be getting them soon!!  Obviously, for anyone that is interested, we'll have to have a followup meeting to listen to the 4SRs somewhere down the line.

2)  What does everyone want for food?  I was thinking of going and getting a tray of BBQ from Smithfields and making some potato salad.  It will easily keep so that it can be served both days easily.  But I'm open to other suggestions if anyone has any.  As with all previous meetings, it appears the food is almost as important as the gear being reviewed :)

3)  Doing both Saturday and Sunday really isn't a problem.  I would likely be listening both days anyways.  Having folks to "talk shop" on both days is welcome.

4)  Folks can bring whatever gear they want to compare against the equipment in house.  We'll try to squeeze it in.  Depending on which day you will be attending, it may not be a problem at all.

5)  The neat thing about the Tact stuff is that we can biamp using all different sorts of amps VERY easily.  If you were interested in hearing what a tube amp sounds like on the top with a solid state amp on the bottom, bring it along and I'll show you how easy it is to integrate both without the need for a traditional active crossover, etc.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #9 on: 12 May 2005, 01:49 pm »
Enjoy guys.

After seeing and hearing what the TacT can do, you will understand why there is no going back...

George

hometheaterdoc

• Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: 17 May 2005, 05:54 pm »
Everyone,

Given that these meets usually end up being more social than actually evaluating equipment, I want to put a little structure around things if that is all right with everyone.

In the interests of time, this will be a two channel only event.  Since I have a number of folks interested in the Tact 2.2X, that preamp will be moved to the main demo room and the TCS MKII will be moved to the smaller room with the Von Schweikert VR-4jrs.

I am also working right now on finishing several audio PCs that will be setup and available for use in each demo room.  In addition, I will have external hard drive capability thanks to these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817145314

So, for anyone who uses an audio PC at home, you are welcome to bring your hard drives along (and by default your music collection) for quick and easy integration with my systems.

Here's how the equipment will be setup upon arrival:

Demo Room #1:

Bel Canto Player PL-1 universal player
Audio PC passing files via coaxial digital output through Foobar2000
Tact TCS 2.2X with DAC boards for both main out and subwoofer output
Butler Audio TDB-5150 hybrid amplifier
NuForce Reference 8B analog switching amplifiers
Tact S2150 all digital amplifier
AVM Evolution M5 monoblock amplifiers
Usher Dancer II CP-8571 floorstanding speakers

Demo Room #2:

Denon DVD-3910 with SDI video mods
Audio PC passing files via toslink digital output through Foobar2000
Tact TCS MKII surround sound processor
Butler TDB-2250 hybrid amplifier
NuForce Reference 8 analog switching amplifiers
AVM Evolution A2 integrated amplifier through processor inputs
Von Schweikert VR-4jr floorstanding speakers

I have learned that the Bel Canto Evo4 won't be returned to me in time for this weekend's meet.  The new VR-4SRs from Von Schweikert won't be shipped to me until next week.  So they won't be on display for this meet.  Sorry!

There will be ample opportunity to evaluate equipment with your own music.  So please bring along any CDs you would like to listen to.  However, for the purposes of the amplifier comparison, we need to decide on specific music.  Please be thinking of a track that you would like to use for the evaluation.  My first vote is to use something most of us are familiar with and have used recently for a test track.  Damien Rice's Volcano was used at Carl's recently, and again at Claud's.  So if that is agreeable, let me know.  Any other suggestions, please let me know them as well.

I haven't gotten any food suggestions.  Please advise what everyone would like to eat.  

Please let me know if you are bringing any equipment.  I would like to be able to plan for it.

Please let me know again (via PM if preferred) what day you are coming and a general idea of when to expect you.  I only ask this so that I can get a feel for when to start the amp comparison and whether or not we should just do fully casual listening for the whole meet.

If you can think of others who would like to attend this meet who are not currently aware that it is going on, please pass the word along to them.  The more the merrier....

I'm looking forward to seeing you all this weekend!

Hantra

« Reply #11 on: 17 May 2005, 06:41 pm »
Well I'll eat about anything that's not a vegetable.   :lol:

Considering bringing this 1000 watt ICEPower amp from Analog Research if you all want to hear it.  I picked up this Levinson 431 last night and it probably won't be broken in enough to bring, but if anyone especially wants to hear it, I don't mind.

Otherwise I'll bring a CD or 2.

sheadlee

« Reply #12 on: 18 May 2005, 06:37 pm »
Shane,

It turns out that I have too many commitments on Sunday. So, I can come Saturday, but wouldn't be able to get there until around 4:30 or so.

I don't want to keep you too late, if everyone else had already come and gone...thus I will keep a watch on the Forum.

Carlman

« Reply #13 on: 18 May 2005, 06:57 pm »
I will be there around 12-12:30 and will probably only be able to stay a couple or few hours.  I'm picking up Claud on the way.

-C

Inscrutable

« Reply #14 on: 19 May 2005, 02:26 am »
It's looking like Sunday is going to be the better day for me, unless everyone is going Sat and no one Sunday ... don't want to put you out for that Shane ... although ... 2 people ... 2 sweet spots ... all that gear ... hmmm ...  how do YOU spell narcissistic? :wink:

RichardS

« Reply #15 on: 20 May 2005, 12:52 am »
Hi Shane
Roger (NCAudio) and I will probably make it on Saturday by around 2pm.
Let us know if you're interested in having us bring anything, but I think you've probably got enough stuff.
I have a RAM-modified Toshiba I could bring, if anyone wants to hear what $1000 of mods can do to a cheapo SACD/DVD player.
Richard

hometheaterdoc

• Industry Participant
« Reply #16 on: 20 May 2005, 12:19 pm »
Everyone,

Just a couple quick hit things since I'm strapped for time:

Richard,  You can bring something along if you like.  I'm happy to demo it for folks if they want.  I think there are going to be people coming and going all afternoon on both days.  So I don't know how many will be in attendance to compare back and forth.

Inscrutable,  Sunday is fine by me.  There appear to be a few folks coming on Sunday based on PMs.  So you're fine there.  It also means more time in the sweet spot on Sunday I think...

sheadlee,  Come on down if you wish.  I have a sneaking suspicion that things will run late on Saturday.  So if you want to come a little later, that's no problem at all by me.  In fact, if there are less people later on, again, it means more time in the sweet spot for you :)

Carl,  See you and Claud a little after noon tomorrow.  BTW, I did some measurements and correction curves for the Usher CP-727s last night... very interesting results...

Hantra,  You're welcome to bring the ICE Power amp, and the Levinson, even in unbroken in state.  I'm not sure how much we'll be able to swap things around.  But again, you're more than welcome so that others can hear the amps in relation to the ones here.

I'm doing final system setups and taking measurements for the various correction curves that have to be programmed.  Unfortunately, the better half has an entire evening of activities planned for me.  So it's going to be a late one making sure everything is setup for tomorrow.  Don't mind me if I look a little rough tomorrow :)

See you all soon...

Inscrutable

« Reply #17 on: 21 May 2005, 12:12 am »
Slight change of plans.  Our house closing got moved up a week, and given truck and helper schedules I'll be doing some grunt work on Sunday, and coming over to the meet tomorrow.  See y'all then.

tommak

One more for Saturday!
« Reply #18 on: 21 May 2005, 01:30 am »
Shane,

Please add one more to the list for Saturday.  You might not remember me, but I've been to your house once before.  Should be there between 1:00 to 2:00.

See you guys then,

Tom

hometheaterdoc

• Industry Participant
Re: One more for Saturday!
« Reply #19 on: 21 May 2005, 06:54 am »
Quote from: tommak
Shane,

Please add one more to the list for Saturday.  You might not remember me, but I've been to your house once before.  Should be there between 1:00 to 2:00.

See you guys then,

Tom

Tom,

Looking forward to seeing you.

It's now 2:51AM.  I'm tired of taking measurements and trying to clean up for y'all.  You're just going to have to overlook the mess :)

I think I have a new favorite setup after toying a bit with meausrements and different gear setups just now.  I'll let everyone else make up their own mind tomorrow.... errr. I mean today.... see everyone in a few hours..