Dinosaur Dilemma

Images

Dinosaur Dilemma
« on: 19 May 2024, 04:08 pm »
I'm a dinosaur and my source components are similarly relics of an earlier era.  I have two systems equipped with recently purchased speakers and amplification.  My system is quite satisfactory on those counts, but my audio files are ripped to or downloaded (DSD files) to an old Dell Latitude laptop still running Windows 7.  It has worked quite acceptably for years, largely because of a USB out to an exaSound e12 DAC.  For the past two years or so I have subscribed to streaming services, first Tidal, and then Qobuz. I switched to Qobuz because I listen mostly to classical music.  At the time of the switch I had the impression that Qobuz had more hi-res files, particularly of orchestral recordings.  I am not clear whether this is still the case.  For the past 6-12 months I have frequently been experiencing drop outs, stalls, and glaring white noise with the Qobuz signal. This has been true on both systems, the other one using a Windows 10 OS.  For example, the signal will drop at a specific point in playback.  I will go back 20 seconds in playback and restart playback.  The signal then stalls again at exactly the same point.  Last week I went back to Tidal because I was tired of the disruptions in playback.  To my surprise, I have no such problems with Tidal on either system. Is it time to abandon Qobuz? BTW, I do no use Roon and see no point in incurring that cost at this time.  Similarly, I am reluctant to invest in a streamer for playback if the laptops I have are up to the task.  Your opinions are welcome and invited. 

Phil A

Re: Dinosaur Dilemma
« Reply #1 on: 19 May 2024, 04:37 pm »
Windows 10 definitely sounds better than Windows 7 (I've had systems in the past where I used JRiver with PC playback).  A standard store bought laptop or PC won't sound as good as a quality music server built with parts optimized for audio vs. something optimized for computing power.  There are also threads in various places about drop out problems (not sure if anything in them would be a help - e.g.  https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/intermittent-audio-dropouts-when-streaming-qobuz-hi-res-files-on-lumin).  I don't use streaming services (have too many files I haven't even been unable to catch up with and too many things on my wish lists) but I have used internet radio (including hi-rez FLAC files) with my Lumin music server and while I don't use the feature often, I've not noticed any drop-outs.  So it depends on your budget and preferences, including what you own and what is available to your liking.

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #2 on: 19 May 2024, 05:15 pm »
I would whole-heartedly recommend you check out the HAL MS-6 server. It's a tiny little Pi server running on windows 10 that sounded WORLDS better than even my high powered PC with dedicated sound card.

HAL MS-6 Server

It's not something you'll want for browsing the internet, but that's a good thing. 100% dedicated to audio. I ran Qobuz on it while I had the service, and now run Foobar as a headless system (no monitor) and use my phone as a remote. All my music is located on another PC used as a server on my network. On Qobuz though, you'll want the monitor/TV for video as phone screen remote is a little difficult to navigate.

The other thing you'll want to check is that your audio settings allow exclusive mode, meaning the audio program has 100% control of all audio in your system. That's in the windows settings to allow, but does make for more consistent playback regardless of the program used. Also if you were getting really picky, in Task Manager setting the program priority status to "Real Time" will put any cpu processing order of operations to the front of the line so you'll get more consistent operations. Seems like those two tweaks shouldn't be a valuable thing, but if you're getting picky about your audio (and we all are  :lol:) then it all makes a difference.

Doublej

« Reply #3 on: 19 May 2024, 05:58 pm »
I would just get a new laptop or a WiiM streamer. But if you wanted to invest your time in trying to improve the laptop you have, I suggest:

Backing up your data,
Doing a fresh install/update of Windows 10 and running Windows update until all of the latest updates have  been installed,
Installing/Updating the drivers provided by Dell,
Updating all of the Window store apps that are installed by default.

Over time machines often get so much crap installed on them that when combined with old (slow) hardware the machine spends most of its CPU cycles switching between software programs and has no cycles left to actual run software programs without glitching.

My father in law had a Dell that was so horribly slow it would not respond to the keyboard. I wound up spending an afternoon removing the crap that kicked in on startup and when I was finished it ran acceptably.

If you want to throw a few dollars at an upgrade to your existing hardware, replacing a spinning hard disk with a solid state drive will do wonders for increasing performance. If you don't have at least 8 GB RAM installed, it might be a better investment to buy more RAM.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #4 on: 19 May 2024, 07:24 pm »
Agree with everything above.  What usb cable are you using if any and what DAC?  I tried a crap usb cable and had all sorts of cut  outs.  Problem fixed with a quality usb cable.  I also used to use a high-end laptop as a music server.  I built a custom desk top computer and the sound was markedly better.  Then I upgraded to a high-end boutique usb card and an external linear power supply for it and it took the sound to another level.

Also, what music player are you using?  Is its software corrupted?

WGH

« Reply #5 on: 19 May 2024, 11:08 pm »
For the past 6-12 months I have frequently been experiencing drop outs, stalls, and glaring white noise with the Qobuz signal. This has been true on both systems, the other one using a Windows 10 OS.  For example, the signal will drop at a specific point in playback.  I will go back 20 seconds in playback and restart playback.  The signal then stalls again at exactly the same point.

Two items you haven't mentioned:

1.) Internet connection speed. Is someone in your household streaming hi-res TV in another room while you listen to music in another?

2.) Is the internet connection to both systems hard wired or wi-fi?

If the only thing you use the Dell for is music then you could do a clean install of Windows 7. The Dell probably has a recovery partition to return the laptop to a factory fresh condition. The restore also wipes all data, photos, programs, etc so Tidal and Qobuz would have to be re-installed.

Of course because Windows 7 reached end of life on Jan. 10, 2023, no further security updates will be provided. This means the OS will not receive any further patches and thus can be a target of exploitation if any vulnerabilities are found in it. I don't know if old security updates are still provided. Windows 10 will reach end of support on October 14, 2025 which means no more security updates either.

Better just get a new Windows 11 laptop and stop fooling around, you are just postponing the inevitable.

Images

« Reply #6 on: 22 May 2024, 01:19 pm »
Hi Phil,  Thanks for your input.  The second system uses Windows 10, but I still have the same drop out problems with Qobuz there.  The only reason I am still using Windows 7 is because I understand that switching to 10 would be a big PITA with my current DAC, the exaSound e12.  At least that is what I gathered from an earlier conversation with the Canadian developer.  I really enjoy this DAC, even thought it is about 8 years old.  Most importantly, it converts hi-rez DSD files, which is important to me.  If I install Windows 10 I believe I would also have to invest in a new DAC--one that is also DSD compatible. If I am going down that road I suppose I should retire the PC and get a reasonably priced server.  I haven't looked into that, but I would want one that will handle DSD files. 

Images

« Reply #7 on: 22 May 2024, 02:29 pm »
Hello all,  Again, all your suggestions are both appreciated and have merit.  Both systems use high-end expensive USB cables.  One system is connected via ethernet and the other is wireless.  Neither PC is used for browsing or any activity other than audio.  Knowing that end-of-life is approaching, a Windows 11 machine is an option.  And yes, I understand there are risks in using an out-of-date unsupported OS.  I likely would be best served subscribing to support services once Windows 10 support is discontinued next year. When all is said and done, I suspect I would get more bang for my audio buck by investing in a music server, such as the one suggested from Hollis Audio. I haven't seen the pricing on this yet, though.  I also like the idea of upgrading to a high-end USB card and picking up a linear power supply.  Not sure I can go that route if I stick with a laptop.  The Windows 10 machine has a SS drive, while the Window 7 machine uses both an internal and external drive that spin.  Regardless of USB cables, sound cards, network connection, or OS, both systems still stall when streaming Qobuz but the Tidal signal is not interrupted.  Is it possible that the Qobuz is somehow at fault?     

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #8 on: 22 May 2024, 08:15 pm »
If you decide to go with a custom desktop computer as a server, look for a used JCat usb card.  I own an earlier model and it made a  very nice difference in detail, resolution and musicality.  There is also more clarity.  I got even more improvement using a chinese linear power supply.  I own 2 of these power supplies and they sound better than the ifi PowerX.   You can pick them up from Alibaba for $50 to $100 depending upon the voltage and amps you need.

By the way, just going from a $1500 lap top dedicated to audio to my hand built desktop top (without the JCat card) there was a huge improvement in sound quality.  Using a high end very low ripple Corsair power supply made a huge difference in the desktop. 

WGH

« Reply #9 on: 22 May 2024, 09:03 pm »
For example, the signal will drop at a specific point in playback.  I will go back 20 seconds in playback and restart playback.  The signal then stalls again at exactly the same point.
... Similarly, I am reluctant to invest in a streamer for playback if the laptops I have are up to the task.

I haven't used Qobuz but the program has a music cache that acts like a buffer between the internet and player. Music is played from the cache. If the cache is corrupted then the song will stop at exactly the same place. If your internet is slow then the cache will run out of bits and the music will stop until it fills up again.

Clear the cache, uninstall Qobuz then download a fresh version and re-install. Google it: "clear Qobuz cache"

Overheating can cause music to studder. When a processor overheats it throttles down to save itself, when that happens the computer doesn't have enough power to process music. Have you blown out the dust lately? I can overheat my music server and cause studdering by upsampling PCM to DSD512.

Playing music without upsampling is one of the easiest things a computer can do and shouldn't cause any overheating. I doesn't hurt to check though.
CoreTemp is free and runs on Windows. Here is a screen shot of my server playing 16bit/44.1 flac.
https://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

I don't think the Hollis Audio Labs server accepts a high-end USB card, which can get expensive.

I'm almost a dinosaur at 75 years old but still built a music server from scratch 3 years ago. I used a laptop as a server 13 years ago, once you hear how much better a dedicated music server sounds you will never go back.

Building an Affordable High-End Silent Music Server
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=177495.msg1867916#msg1867916

WGH

« Reply #11 on: 22 May 2024, 11:17 pm »
Here is a Matrix usb card-

https://www.aliexpress.com/i/2251832818370904.html?gatewayAdapt=4itemAdapt

Interesting. A quick search shows that Reverb sells the card for $261.25, AliExpress is $329. The JCat USB Card XE is $898

A review of the Matrix USB vs. the JCat USB although the Matrix doesn't look like the new Element H, model numbers are not mentioned.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCZzsSfUnTc