Mandatory Introductory Post

Dart87

Mandatory Introductory Post
« on: 15 May 2024, 03:09 pm »
Hello AudioCircle,

I found this forum through the Audio by Van Alstine site.

On the quest for the best system I can put together within my budget.  I have Magnepan speakers some vinyl and a DAC.

looking forward to interacting with the community and learning from others' experiences in this (is it a) hobby.

Regards,
Dart87

Blackmore

Re: Mandatory Introductory Post
« Reply #1 on: 15 May 2024, 04:36 pm »
Welcome to AudioCircle

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #2 on: 15 May 2024, 04:47 pm »
Welcome!  Long time Maggie owner and AVA owner.  What Maggies do you have?

If looking at AVA gear, consider a higher powered amp and one of his tube preamps.  Maggies and tubes go well together.
I have 1.6's and MMG's.  I now use a Pass Labs X250 amp (500wpc 4 ohms) and a BAT VK51se tube preamp along with a Luxman DA-06 DAC.  I started off with an AVA hybrid tube preamp and hybrid tube DAC.  Franks current gear compares favorably to my older Pass and BAT gear.  I did a few reviews of Frank's gear at the request of Frank.

If buying an amp from AVA, make sure it is stable down to 2 ohms.  Many Magnepans drop to to 2 ohms.  Frank has a few amps that  fit that bill.

Dart87

« Reply #3 on: 15 May 2024, 05:00 pm »
Thanks for the welcome and replies folks!

Hi Greyhound fan,

I have recently acquired a pair of 3.7i.  I have had MMGs for 20+ years with a B&K ST2140 and a variety of preamps including a Foreplay tube DIY kit, currently running a Schiit Kara in passive mode.

I am trying to decide between the M225 and the M750.  I can stretch for the M750 if it is a better match. 

What are your thoughts on the differences between the 2 monoblock offerings?

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #4 on: 17 May 2024, 12:33 am »
Greetings & Welcome to AC   :thumb:

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #5 on: 17 May 2024, 01:02 am »
Welcome to AC  :thumb:

Stereo58

« Reply #6 on: 20 May 2024, 03:26 am »
I have an AVA ultra EC preamplifier with the phono stage N. magnapan 1.6QRS and also for my rear speakers I have the MGMC ones driven by quicksilver V4 monoblocks and silver 60 monoblocks! Just retubed the amps. Sounds killer! I'm new here too!

Phil A

« Reply #7 on: 20 May 2024, 11:50 am »
Welcome!