Audiophile since 1992

kiyonami

Audiophile since 1992
« on: 12 May 2024, 01:43 pm »
Hello. Just joined today.
Started my journey in 1992 with a used Counterpoint Hybrid Amp, Meridian (206?) CDP, used PS Audio pre and new Mirage M3 loudspeakers.
To this day, I clearly remember sitting in the audio shop in Southern California with the gentleman demoing with Stanley Clarke playing acoustic bass from Return to Forever.  The shop unfairly played through Audio Research electronics which no one would have partnered with these loudspeakers ever.  I purchased those speakers right there and vowed I’d get ARC equipment one day. 

Eventually I realized the PS Audio preamp was suffocating the sound and stumbled upon a used Audible Illusions preamp which really opened up everything (but bass was never tight). 
Eventually I met my wife and I moved out of my apartment in Playa del Rey to our first purchased home in the same town. 
There was a fantastic upstairs audio shop in Santa Monica I knew about. He specialized in ARC and Vandersteen. It was 1997 and I purchased a brand new ARC VT100 amp (which I still have today and am looking at replacing).  I also bought a new Meridian 508.24 CDP and demo Dunlavy SC4s the same year (i’ll never forget them being delivered in a Volvo station wagon to our front door :lol: )
 Except for a REL Stentor I purchased for our new home in Los Gatos, my system, now back on the east coast changed little until recently with the addition of an Auralic streamer (love it), a Burson Reference Conductor (direct to Amp), and most importantly, sold the Dunlavy and love my Dali Epicon 2s buying decision.
Looking to upgrade my amp and dac this year.

I am also fortunate to have a dedicated, sound-treated listening room.

Mag

Re: Audiophile since 1992
« Reply #1 on: 12 May 2024, 04:48 pm »
   Welcome! You have a very nice uncluttered dedicated Audio Room.
  I don't have as nice a room for my secondary system, but its the room that makes my simple system with Paradigm Studio 20 v3 sound way better acoustically than I thought it capable. :smoke:

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #2 on: 12 May 2024, 05:24 pm »
Nice room, system, and journey!  8)

stylerb

« Reply #3 on: 12 May 2024, 10:33 pm »
beautiful set up and room, i bet it sings. what amp and dac are you considering?

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 12 May 2024, 10:41 pm »
Welcome to AC  :thumb:  Nice room for an OB speaker.

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 13 May 2024, 12:06 am »
Welcome!

kiyonami

« Reply #6 on: 13 May 2024, 03:43 am »
Thank you for the gracious words and greeting!!!
I had my heart set on a CODA Continuum No.8 as my next amp. But I kept running into Circle Labs as a strong contender recently.
I managed to find a dealer that carried both brands and when we discussed my system, musical tastes and what I care about, the Circle Labs became a no-brainer for me. Today I ordered their M200 Hybrid amplifier.
So, by the end of 2024 I’m hoping to either purchase the matching preamp AND a new DAC, or a good Dac/PRE.
I have been following Twittering Machines who recently has the new LAIV dac “in the barn” so I’ll be looking for that review.  I also may consider the OKTO dac8 stereo too.  No rush!
First I have to buy a power cord for the amp since it ships without one!

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #7 on: 14 May 2024, 01:57 am »
Greetings & Welcome to AC  :thumb:  Lovely setup.  8)