Mini MEs

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Mini MEs
« on: 10 May 2005, 10:20 am »
All,

I spoke with Louie last night and he is still working out issues with his web server, so to help Louie out, I posted some info about his new Mini ME speakers here:

http://www.redwineaudio.com/Omega_Mini_ME.html

I listened to them last week with a Clari-T amp and Monica 2 DAC, and was VERY impressed!  :P

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Mini MEs
« Reply #1 on: 10 May 2005, 11:04 am »
Thanks for the info Vinnie,

90 dB/w/m with 6 wpc "shouldn't" work according to many, but 6 wpc digital is another matter (more bass control and dynamics than you'd expect).  As others have said the Clari-T is almost a monster compared to SETs.

This is the rating of my speakers and with the Clari-T it's enough for 95% of the listening this 40 something guy does.  My speakers would go another octave plus farther into the bass than the Mini-ME, so with a powered sub this pairing would probably get a bit louder.  Without the sub this would be a sweet little pairing for a smaller room/limited musical genres.

For my setup the quality/price combo provides plenty of justification for giving up full symphonic dynamics at unrealistically loud sound pressure levels.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
Mini MEs
« Reply #2 on: 10 May 2005, 11:22 am »
Quote from: JLM
Thanks for the info Vinnie,

90 dB/w/m with 6 wpc "shouldn't" work according to many, but 6 wpc digital is another matter (more bass control and dynamics than you'd expect).  As others have said the Clari-T is almost a monster compared to SETs.

Hi JLM,

The Mini ME is 4-ohms, so it will draw around 11 watts out of the Clari-T, not 6 watts!  And yes, these are big, controlled Class-T watts and the pairing would fill up a small room with BIG sound.

Regards,

GHM

Mini MEs
« Reply #3 on: 10 May 2005, 12:42 pm »
WoW! Those Mini MEs do look nice! The price is very attractive as well.
I could use a pair for surrounds.

Dmason

Mini MEs
« Reply #4 on: 10 May 2005, 03:09 pm »
If that is Mini ME, what is ME going to be?

Maybe two TB drivers for 93db/8Ohms? ---->sweet

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
Mini MEs
« Reply #5 on: 11 May 2005, 11:37 am »
Quote from: Dmason
If that is Mini ME, what is ME going to be?

Maybe two TB drivers for 93db/8Ohms? ---->sweet

Hi Dmason,

The ME was going to be a Minuet (two drivers for 8-ohms), but with the drivers along the wide baffle instead of the narrow baffle.  Louis made a prototype pair, but after listening, decided that the Minuet's sounded better....so it looks like there will be the Mini ME, and the Minuet.  

I updated the Mini ME page last night with more info that Louis provided, and corrected the price, which is starting at $389 a pair.  New pictures are coming soon (hopefully today)!  

I ordered the Mini MEs in Rosewood w/ black leather baffle and rear, and after break-in, I'll do some comparisons between them and my Super 3's (which I really like with the Clari-T / Monica 2 dac combo!).

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
Mini MEs
« Reply #6 on: 12 May 2005, 01:13 am »
Quote from: Vinnie R.

I updated the Mini ME page last night with more info that Louis provided, and corrected the price, which is starting at $389 a pair.  New pictures are coming soon (hopefully today)!  

Louie just sent me a pic of the Rosewood finish with black leather front and back that I posted:

http://www.redwineaudio.com/Omega_Mini_ME.html

Jay Rebus

Mini MEs
« Reply #7 on: 12 May 2005, 04:54 am »
What is the frequency range like?

lht

Mini MEs
« Reply #8 on: 12 May 2005, 05:16 am »
:nono:

I've been following the 'tidbits' about the upcoming Mini Me with great interest. When Vinnie posted the link to the pics of the Mini Me I immediately opened the link. I was disappointed with the dark tones masking the details so I saved the image and opened it in an image editing program. (Picture It)

The pic lightened up nicely and the finish looks to be all that it is claimed to be, then I noticed that the driver is NOT the one Louis has been showing on his "News" page. So I am somewhat confused and would like some clarification...

Sorry my lack of knowledge prevents me from providing a link or the lightened pic (I tried to paste it here) but anyone with an image editing program can verify. The drivers aren't even close, with Vinnie's pic of the Mini Me's having phase plugs that look to be made of aluminum... Louis' website pic has a whizzer cone.

Louis would you be so kind as to explain?

ooheadsoo

Mini MEs
« Reply #9 on: 12 May 2005, 05:24 am »
Did someone do something to the pictures?  The finish looks fantastic on my monitor.

Jay Rebus

Mini MEs
« Reply #10 on: 12 May 2005, 05:47 am »
lht - the pics in the Omega news section are the raw hemp drivers for, I presume, the updated super 3, grand 6/8.  

The mini-me is a mini Minuet, as you can see on the Omega products page.  I don't know what kind of driver that is but it's obviously sans-wizzer.

Hope that helps.

Jason1

Mini MEs
« Reply #11 on: 12 May 2005, 06:01 am »
It looks like this Tang Band driver.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
Mini MEs
« Reply #12 on: 12 May 2005, 10:25 am »
Quote from: lht
:The pic lightened up nicely and the finish looks to be all that it is claimed to be, then I noticed that the driver is NOT the one Louis has been showing on his "News" page. So I am somewhat confused and would like some clarification... ...

The Mini MEs use the same driver as the Minuet...these are NOT the hemp drivers.

The 8" Hemp Drivers are coming next, and followed by 4.5" Hemp Drivers.

Louis O

Mini MEs
« Reply #13 on: 12 May 2005, 11:16 pm »
Hi Everyone,

Sorry about the delay in sharing about the Mini Me. Many thanks go out to Vinnie for the great posts and the letting me use his site for the Mini Me’s. Since I have server problems I will be getting the site transferred by a pro. It needs a lot of updating and sorry about the confusion regarding all the new stuff including the Hemps.

Vinnie is right on with the Me and Minuet clarification. The Me was a wide baffle double driver Minuet, but the sound in this cabinet was very congested and sounded much better in the narrow cabinet. I will post the new look Minuet very soon as well as the Ebony/brown leather finish.

The speakers will be a part of the Omega Underground line of Factory direct products. I will have the Clari t posted and the Lotus posted as well. The speakers where designed around the Clari t so this is the amp I used to voice the speakers. It’s an amazing combo.

Hi Dmason,

Looks like the Minuet will be the Me and the different cabinets made a huge difference a lot like the alnico super 3s when I went to the narrow cabinets. With the double drivers the added room behind them allows the drivers to flow better. I may stretch the whole thing for a tiny floorstander at one point too. The minuet is 90 dB at 8 ohms as the extra driver gave 3 db, but the series connection took it away. I measured to confirm and it’s 90, but clari t digital battery powered 6 watts really drives them loud.

Also the hemp news right now looks really good for the 4.5, which are 5” now. The basket issue is resolved and I’m tooling up for a custom basket for the very deep cone.

Hi  Jay Rebus,

The range is about 58 to 18KHz. The output down low is very strong and the driver has 4mm x max so it moves a lot of air for such a small driver. The port also helps, as it’s a 1.5-inch flared and tapered.

Hi lht,

Sorry about the confusion and this has a lot to do with the site. The Mini Me and Minuet drivers are not Hemps cones. They are totally different and the small 5” hemp will find its way into the Super 3s. The Mini Me driver is a single cone with bullet phase plug. The cabinet is also much smaller than the Super 3s.

I will also get better pics taken tooas the finishes are very nice. The wood /leather combo adds a lot to the look and the new composite baffle and back are another plus.

Hi Jay Rebus,

Your right about the hemps and the new 8” will find it’s way into the floorstander and compact version. There wont be a 6” hemp at all. So it would be 5” and 8”. The new finishes on the Mini Me will be the hemp finishes too.
Hi Jason1,

This is it, but I mod it out and the cabinets are made using the Super 3 alignment.

Thanks again,
Louis

powerbench

Mini Me's
« Reply #14 on: 29 May 2005, 09:05 pm »
Should be here early this week,intial impressions will be posted...stay tuned 8)

powerbench

Mini-me's
« Reply #15 on: 7 Jun 2005, 12:34 am »
Yes me again just following up on this post...BTW Louis speakers look 10x better in person than any pic,I was floored in how good the finish was, better than most speakers out there.I called him this evening to say thanks ...and just to add he used to make furniture for a living  so needless to say this guy is a craftsman.