The Raveonettes - Pretty In Black

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« on: 9 May 2005, 04:07 am »
The Raveonettes are back with a new ablum, and it's a pretty damned good one.  Pretty In Black is, impossibly, even more retro sounding than their previous two albums.  While it lacks the drive and punch of Whip It On, PIB has a bit more versatility and variety than their earlier work.  Sharin Foo gets a lot more 'face time' on this one too, singing several songs.

If you didn't "get" the last two, I wouldn't suggest this one, either.  But while it's a bit more sedate and stripped down than Whip It On or The Chain Gang of Love, Pretty In Black should please hardcore Raveonettes fans.  I give it the 'thumbs up.'  8)

Kim S.

« Reply #1 on: 10 May 2005, 10:40 am »
I like the Raveonettes and have both their previous CD's so I'll definately get this one.  For the stripped down blues/guitar rock sound my favorite group is The Black Keys.  I have a question about the new Raveonettes cd.  Is it all recorded in one key like the previous two?  My wife plays the flute and this made it easy for her to have some fun and play along with them.

Soundbitten

« Reply #2 on: 10 May 2005, 02:27 pm »
Quote from: Kim S.
I like the Raveonettes and have both their previous CD's so I'll definately get this one.  For the stripped down blues/guitar rock sound my favorite group is The Black Keys.  I have a question about the new Raveonettes cd.  Is it all recorded in one key like the previous two?  My wife plays the flute and this made it easy for her to have some fun and play along with them.

I dig the Black Keys also . Is the new Raveonettes disc along the same lines ?

Brian

« Reply #3 on: 10 May 2005, 03:34 pm »
Hi

Nice to see a Danish Band making it in the US - or at least having a strong following.

Now you just need to discover some of the other good danish bands/singers like Kashmir and Tim Christensen.

Brgds,
Brian

mcrespo71

« Reply #4 on: 10 May 2005, 04:05 pm »
I saw the Raveonettes on Conan O'Brian about a week ago.  Whatever song they played, it was really good and seemed more tuneful than the other stuff I heard by them.  Also, the female band member was really cute, which is reason enough for me to buy this album. :wink:   How are the sonics, Rob?

Michael

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 10 May 2005, 07:05 pm »
They play in other keys on this one.  I'm not very knowledgeable about the nuts and bolts of music, but I read it in another review. :lol:   Despite being assembled on ProTools, I think Pretty sounds very good.

mcrespo71

« Reply #6 on: 10 May 2005, 09:07 pm »
Ok, this is an obvious buy for me then.  Thanks, Rob.  BTW, be sure to pick up RE4 for your PS2.

Michael