A Real Doozy!!

Aman

• http://www.mgforums.com
A Real Doozy!!
« on: 9 May 2005, 02:15 am »
This is the wierdest thing I've ever experienced!

I have this speaker setup... a Pioneer SX-450 ---> Ohm Model B speakers

Both of these devices are old (from '76) but both are highly acclaimed.

So if the speakers are plugged in the correct way, the left speaker hardly plays anything at all .. but what sound it DOES play, it plays cleanly.

So I switched the cables today -- and noticed that the speakers now play balanced and even. BUT .. this same left speaker (which is now actually outputting the right-channel sound) distorts on many higher pitched notes coming from the tweeter!

I don't quite understand what is wrong here. I thought it was just a speaker problem, but now the speaker acts completely different when hooked up to the opposite channel.

But if this were an amplifier case, wouldn't the right side speaker play the sound like the left speaker would if it were hooked up correctly? The right speaker when playing from the left channel plays cleanly and balanced!

No, I am not deaf in one ear, since my brother and my friend both confirmed these exact same findings when they listened. They automatically knew what was the matter, and when I changed it they said it was much better. They said it was more balanced and they could hear the details again.

What is going on here? Are my speakers dead? Is my amp dead? Are they BOTH dead??

I'm very confused here!!
-Andrew

mgalusha

A Real Doozy!!
« Reply #1 on: 9 May 2005, 03:14 am »
Try connecting both speakers to the right channel of the amp one at a time and then try them one at a time on the left channel. Do each of these with nothing connected to the opposite channel. You should be able to figure out if you have a damaged speaker or amplifier  or perhaps one of each. Don't change the volume control when doing this, to ensure consistent levels.

Good luck, this sounds like something has failed.