Analog/Digital Product Comparisons / Analog Starting Point.

cjr888

I know there has been a thread regarding starter TT's and analog combinations.

I enjoy my current toys and music collection, but my system may be greatly changing, part in a downsizing effort to redirect some money towards a home purchase, and part to satisfy my own curiosity.

I know that down the road I'll end up redirecting money to have a complete system where I'd like it to be, but for now, I will most likely be doing a lot sales, and rebuilding with a different price point and goal in mind soon..  

One aspect of this system change would involve a new analog rig.  I have hundreds of records that have been in storage for quite some time.  The last TT I have I don't even recall what it was, I believe an old Technics, but this was well before I found audio equipment that truly left me wide eyed.

My knowledge of the technical aspects, product comparisons, setup, and system matching is relatively non-existent for vinyl, TTs, etc.

I'd most likely consider seeking out a person or two's collection in an effort to grab a rediculous amount of music very cheap, and purchase a complete analog rig as a single purchase (everything except phone stage), part to simplify audio-nervousa, part to simply component matching and setup.  The thought of being a complete newbie and pretending I know what I'm doing matching a table, arm, cartridge and wiring is not something I want to consider right now.  I'd like to have something complete, gain understanding through usage and work in that direction...  Once I purchase I most likely won't be doing any rediculous upgrading to it for quite some time, so don't care too, too much if its not the most upgradable item in the world (though it doesn't hurt).

As with most first purchases, I'd probably aim for a bit better than run of the mill, but by no means chasing after perfection -- probably an initial combination of $700-1200, new or used.

After a typical preface that's way too long, here are some of my questions....

1) For folks that had moved to digital or started out with digital and owned many well regarded and pricey CDP/DAC setups -- at what price point or combination did you question the money you had put into digital?  I don't mind hearing of digging out vintage or stored away setups, but hearing about known products, non-DIY, that are tangible to me would be great to hear about....   I will most likely end up doing a few dealer demos, but I do hate the excercise especially if I know I'll most likely end up purchasing used/demo, etc...

Part of the joy I've had with vinyl in the past was how great a sound I'd receive even with lower cost components, figuring in part because I enjoyed older recordings so much more...

2) Part of my interest as mentioned above is the ability for me to pick up a rediculous amount of music, in bulk, rather cheap -- having an endless supply of new music always keeps me farther away from considering component purchases as I have so much to listen to that will keep me busy from equipment curiousity and trips to compact disc world...  In this regard and knowing that the majority of future vinyl purchases would be good condition used vinyl,  would you feel that initially a purchase of a quality record cleaner would be put ahead of spending a couple hundred extra on the initial analog rig?

3) For others that had little to no knowledge of analog sources, could you direct me to some links that are essentially TT setup / basic background / essential tooks for analog dummies?

Curious to hear people's impressions, whether their own experiences, or comments about price points....  Anything greatly appreciated...

doug s.

• makin' music
Analog/Digital Product Comparisons / Analog Starting Point.
« Reply #1 on: 30 Mar 2003, 04:37 am »
a good starting point to winyl, (and, upgrades can make it yer ending point, too!   :wink: ):

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?anlgtabl&1054008499

this is likely awreddy sold, but they show up every now-n again.  good customeer support, especially regarding set-up.  the price of the one on a-gon is about what i paid for mine; w/upgrading to the most recent model, o-l dc motor kit & o-l modded rega arm, w/upgraded h/p lab power supply, i now have ~$1900 into it.  unless i win the lottery, & can afford some $20k+ artwork-as-turntable thingie, i am done upgrading this component!   :D

and, re: digital, i got in late.  bought my 1st cdp for the home ~6 years ago.  while, i can now actually *enjoy* digital in my own rig for the 1st time, w/my modded di/o, i also know that even my prior turntable, the humble modded c&j walker (similar to systemdek, ar's, aristons) w/sumiko premier ft3 arm, would see off most multi-mega-dollar cd rigs for making music, imo...

doug s.

Tonto Yoder

Interesting Heybrook on eBay
« Reply #2 on: 30 Mar 2003, 07:24 am »
Thought I'd post this even though it's armless---
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3283&item=3015587373&rd=1
As the seller says, the Heybrook TT-2 is very similar to the famous Linn LP-12 but doesn't command the high prices that Linn often brings. Armboard drilled for a Linn tonearm (which was a very common combination--often the Linn Basik or Basik Plus).

Stereophile's Kal Rubinson still uses this table with an SME arm.  One great thing about buying a TT like this is that you can sell it for pretty much as much as you pay for it---kinda like renting a turntable. Of course, this particular TT is in England so shipping $$ is a factor.

Tonto Yoder

Following Doug's line of thinking...........
« Reply #3 on: 30 Mar 2003, 07:44 am »
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3015748671&category=3283

The Alphason arm is not well known (and not their top of the line) but the package is attractive. Auction reserve not yet met.