Hello from Michigan!

KaseyC

Hello from Michigan!
« on: 26 Dec 2023, 10:27 pm »
Good Afternoon All,

I'm an audio hobbyist.  I enjoy the reproduction of music through a decent system and well engineered recordings.  I'm not a high-end audiophile, I feel that there is a point of diminishing returns as cost rises against sound quality increase.  I own a Cambridge Audio CXA81 with CXC transport with Vienna Acoustics Bach speakers.  I'm pondering Salk SoundTower's as it's getting difficult, if not impossible, to find reasonably priced transmission line speakers.  When I was (much) younger, my friend and I auditioned a pair of IMF Professional Monitors.  I was hooked.  It sounded like James Taylor was sitting in front of us playing his guitar. 

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Hello from Michigan!
« Reply #1 on: 26 Dec 2023, 10:47 pm »
Welcome to AC  :thumb:

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 26 Dec 2023, 10:54 pm »
Welcome!

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: 26 Dec 2023, 11:45 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Kasey   :thumb:  The Songtowers are a great bang for the buck choice. I got mine in '07, still using them in my HT setup. Once you have your 3 posts in you can watch the Trading Post for any offerings that may show up here. Good luck in the hunt.  8)

VinceT

« Reply #4 on: 27 Dec 2023, 03:23 am »
Greetings from the Mitten

motorcitym3

« Reply #5 on: 27 Dec 2023, 04:13 am »
Welcome from Canton, MI

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #6 on: 27 Dec 2023, 04:28 pm »
Welcome from the middle of the mitten. 

I got hooked on transmission lines in the 70's.  We had a store in Lansing that carried I.M.Fried speakers and they brought me to the "real" high-end.  Built Fried transmission lines that was warned would overpower my room which they did.  Years later after Irving Fried died I found Bob Brines building single driver transmission lines in Arkansas and commissioned a pair from him (FT-2000).  Unfortunately Bob has since retired.  Today I'd look at PMC for transmission line (TL) designs.  They've been in the TL business for decades in both residential and studio scenes in both passive and active designs. 

KaseyC

« Reply #7 on: 28 Dec 2023, 01:33 pm »
I did it!  I bought a pair of Salk SongTowers that were delivered to the original purchaser in 2014.  I bought them from the second owner, a local Lansing devotee, yesterday.  Sadly - I had to travel to Kalamazoo for a few days so I could only test them at home for an hour or so.  They are quite a bit better than the Vienna Acoustic Bach's that they're replacing.  I imagine it's a music selection issue.  The Salk's image is spectacular.  I can't wait to get back home.  Thanks for the welcoming!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #8 on: 28 Dec 2023, 02:36 pm »
My friend still has my old FT-2000's.  The Fostex drivers have been described as the world's best single driver (89 dB/w/m, 30-20,000 Hz, 8 ohms, rated up to 27 watts continuous/80 watts peak to reach 109 dB in the cabinets).  They have a full bodied sound, wonderful for Barque.  They are floor standing with a simple transmission line design ala Martin King.  His number is (517) 240-1410.

js1955

« Reply #9 on: 28 Dec 2023, 03:22 pm »
Two really nice sounding transmission line speakers I have owned:

Meadowlark Heron "i"
PBN Montana SP2 "Signature"

Both are older, so I'm sure you can find used market "steals".