New member on a speaker journey

Ulises

New member on a speaker journey
« on: 15 Dec 2023, 01:28 pm »
Hi All.

I'm a new member thinking about new speakers.

I got into audio when I was 18 and my roommate at college had a record player. It was the mid-nineties and an awesome time to start collecting records.

Since then, I've carefully upgraded my systems and my record collection has grown from a crate to a room.

System-wise, I love design and systems that don't overwhelm a room, but sound great. I love vintage gear, wood tones, mystery SUTS of forgotten origins, tubes (of course) and headphones.

I gravitated most toward BBC-style speakers and currently own Harbeth C7s, Harbeth P3esrs, and ProAc Tablette 10s as well as a pair of Klipsch Heresys from 1969. But for my main listening room/ record room, I'm kind of wondering about more of a full range speaker.

Given all of the above, I'm very intrigued by Daedalus and some other brands, and am joining to learn more. Nice to meet you all.

Phil A

Re: New member on a speaker journey
« Reply #1 on: 15 Dec 2023, 03:59 pm »
Welcome to AC!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 15 Dec 2023, 04:24 pm »
Welcome!

Suggest looking into active monitors.  Current top of the line are Dutch & Dutch 8C's.  Cheaper/smaller alternative is Buchardt A10.  Both are full range and include room EQ. 

Ulises

« Reply #3 on: 15 Dec 2023, 05:41 pm »
That's an interesting idea (active options). I've always been an analog purist, but there is something very compelling about the exacting control some of these newer systems offer. I also love that Buchardt allows for modular upgrades so that if pieces of the system fail it won't be obsolete. I tried some fancy active studio monitors on my desk for a nearfield setup for a time, and when one of them failed it basically became an expensive paperweight. 

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 15 Dec 2023, 05:56 pm »
Welcome to AC  :thumb:
IMO always good avoid low sensitivity speakers,
prefer 8Ω and 98dB or more to dont be forced
 to use a big, expensive amp.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #5 on: 15 Dec 2023, 06:38 pm »
Welcome to AC!

As an owner (and still delighted listener) of a pair of Daedalus Apollo speakers, I can only encourage you to contact Lou about a new pair, or keep your eyes peeled for a used pair for sale. [No way am I selling mine!]

Michael