Five systems to configure

jdazey

Five systems to configure
« on: 4 Dec 2023, 01:21 am »
It's true. I've got some questions as I look at updating the main system and the trickle down as a result. I'll be asking some of them on other circles, but to start:

Main - Mac 1700 receiver, Meadowlark Kestrel Hotrods, Musical Fidelity A5 CD player, Phillips GA212 turntable, and Bluesound Node
The Mac and the Phillips are as vintage as I am being purchased in the mid 1970s. The Kestrels and MF are turn of the century, and the Bluesound is current. I'm considering replacing the Mac with Mac4300v or MA6500 and the Kestrels with Klipsch Fortes or, for a completely different tack, some Omega SAM or Junior XRS. Primary listening is jazz, acoustic guitar, and piano. Jazz24 is on about 24 hours/day:)

Any thoughts?

As an aside, both my wife and I agree that the MF cd player is significantly clearer and has more detail than the Bluesound. Maybe the Nodex is better.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
Re: Five systems to configure
« Reply #1 on: 4 Dec 2023, 04:52 am »
Greetings & Welcome to AC  :thumb:

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 4 Dec 2023, 05:50 am »
Welcome to AC  :thumb:

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 4 Dec 2023, 12:44 pm »
Welcome!

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #4 on: 4 Dec 2023, 05:16 pm »
I recently compared a Bluesound Node to a Lumin D3 and the Bluesound sounded muddy and flat in comparison to the Lumin.  It was  a night and day difference.   There was a much wider and deeper sound stage with more detail, resolution and air with the Lumin.

Ditch the Bluesound if you want to stream music with much better sound.

As for speakers, I am not a Klipsch fan.  There are much better speakers for the type of music you listen to.  Take your time and listen to as many speakers as possible.  Bring a CD or thumb drive with the music you like.  Consider bringing your CD player or DAC along.  Consider going to an audio show.
« Last Edit: 5 Dec 2023, 03:34 am by I.Greyhound Fan »

jdazey

« Reply #5 on: 6 Dec 2023, 09:30 pm »
I was surprised at the difference between the MF and the Bluesound. I haven't heard of Lumin, so I'll search around.

A number of years ago, I went to a guy's house to audition some diy single driver speakers he'd built. He was astounded when I showed up with my amplifier and turntable with a couple of lps. This time around I'll have two tracks on a thumb drive. It's a lot less to pack.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #6 on: 7 Dec 2023, 01:14 am »
I also replaced a Bluesound Node 2i with a Lumin D2. I liked the Lumin so much I sold my Benchmark Dac3.

jdazey

« Reply #7 on: 7 Dec 2023, 11:04 pm »
Two votes for Lumin. I'll keep that in mind.

First priorities are amplification and speakers. Neither the Mac 1700 or Kestrels are going away. The Kestrels go to the music room and the Mac goes to my office. I'll probably stick with McIntosh for the amplification although I'm also looking at possibly going into tubes with Rogue Cronus Magnum or Prima Luna Dialogue. I'm at even more loose ends with regard to speakers. Oh well,shopping is a lot cheaper than buying.)

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #8 on: 8 Dec 2023, 03:32 am »
Two votes for Lumin. I'll keep that in mind.

First priorities are amplification and speakers. Neither the Mac 1700 or Kestrels are going away. The Kestrels go to the music room and the Mac goes to my office. I'll probably stick with McIntosh for the amplification although I'm also looking at possibly going into tubes with Rogue Cronus Magnum or Prima Luna Dialogue. I'm at even more loose ends with regard to speakers. Oh well,shopping is a lot cheaper than buying.)

My friend that bought the Lumin D3 also bought the Rogue Cronus Magnum and the pairing is sublime.  I was with him when we auditioned the D3 with the Cronus.  The 2 together present a huge sound stage and great dynamics and detail.  I highly recommend both.

charmerci

« Reply #9 on: 8 Dec 2023, 12:52 pm »
www.philharmonicaudio.com for the speakers at any price point. If you don't care about them, they're easily resold on the philharmonic audio threads on avsforum.com

jdazey

« Reply #10 on: 9 Dec 2023, 02:56 am »
Thanks for the tips everyone. I took a look at the Philharmonic web site. Those BMR towers look like they might be a bit power hungry. My Mac 1700 is 40 watts and likely wouldn't be up to the task. I just picked up this afternoon a pair of mint Klipsch Quartets. It will be interesting to try them out as I haven't used horn speakers before. Should I end up later with a 200 watt/ch amp, less efficient speakers  would be an option.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #11 on: 9 Dec 2023, 04:22 am »
If you get a Rogue Audio Cronus you will be able to drive any of the Philharmonic speakers.  The Cronus is 80 to 100 wpc depending upon what mode you have it on.

JackD

« Reply #12 on: 9 Dec 2023, 07:20 am »
Your Kestrel HR's are a far better speaker than the Klipsch you picked up. 

jdazey

« Reply #13 on: 10 Dec 2023, 05:56 am »
Well we got got home from Portland this afternoon and hooked up the quartets. Tried some solo piano and JLCO.  The wife likes the look of the quartets. They're nice big handsome boxes. Put on Holly Cole - Every Day Will be Like a Holiday. Quartets first, then Kestrels. The wife came in from the other room and asked if it was a different singer! With the quartets it sounded like a recording. With the kestrels it sounded like Holly Cole. No contest, the kestrels for the win. Put on Diane Shuur/B B King - Spirit in the Dark. Same story.  JackD has it right.

One thing though, the difference in sensitivity between the quartets and kestrels hinted that the kestrels might benefit from a few more watts. Concert levels of volume had the Mac just about maxed out.

JackD

« Reply #14 on: 10 Dec 2023, 06:27 am »
Glad you agree.  I owned a pair of Kestral HR's back when they were a current production speaker.  Amazing product for the price.  Are you wanting to stay vintage on amps or Mac or both.  If not the Van Alstine SET-120 integrated would be a great match. Not sure if you're aware but Pat and Meadowlark have been back in the speaker business for a few years now but almost entirely powered speakers with his new product line.

jdazey

« Reply #15 on: 10 Dec 2023, 04:11 pm »
As my wife likes blue meters, McIntosh is the likely choice. Vintage or modern? I'm not sure. Before we sold/gave away everything and moved aboard a catamaran, I had an MC2125/MX113 combination that we really enjoyed, but for the same money I could move into the current century and get an MA6900. Other possibilities, given they get spousal approval, would be Cronus Magnum, Prima Luna, or maybe a Bottlehead kind of thing. I've never had a tube amp and am curious about how one would work out.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #16 on: 10 Dec 2023, 06:02 pm »
I don't know if this matters, but Rogue Audio and Mac are American made.  Primaluna is not.  I would also look at Cary Audio SLI-100 integrated.  It is a tube amp and made in the U.S.A..  Cary direct has it on sale for $3800 or so.  Audio Research I/50 is another American made tube integrated.  I prefer made in America products for various reasons but ease of service and build quality are number one.  It is nice to buy from a company that will still service products that are years out of production like McIntosh and the others mentioned.

jdazey

« Reply #17 on: 12 Dec 2023, 01:16 am »
Thanks for the support everybody. I'll give all your suggestions and comments some serious consideration as I work my way through the audio maze. From here I'll start poking around in some of the area specific circles.
Cheers,
Joe