Conventional solid-state vs. digital amps . . .

albee

« on: 1 May 2005, 04:54 pm »
Can anyone posit, in lay terms, why the new digital amps seem to be warmer and more fleshed out sounding than conventional transistor amps?  Is it a matter of internal components used or is it in the tuning/design of the digital chips?  Obvioulsy, I'm not an EE so I don't have a clue.

Tweaker

« Reply #1 on: 1 May 2005, 07:48 pm »
This probably won't answer you question but I have heard some people claim that they do not find the sound warmer, that they can be rather sterile sounding. I purchased a Sonic Impact to play with although I can't really pass judgement as I don't have a decent pair of speakers that these can drive.(It also is not modded).
   A recent review in Positive Feedback of the Red Wine Clari-T-amp wasn't exactly glowing with one reviewer describing it as overly sterile. As usual it is probably a system dependant thing and as with most equipment not everyone will achieve the same results. The Red Wine circle is full of people who love the sound and are selling some pretty high end stuff in preference to the Clari-t. I also think that it is probably not reasonable to expect that all digital amps will offer the same sound quality. It will depend on how well it is implemented just as how not all analogue transistor amps sound the same, or tube amps. Some are sterile, some warm,etc.,etc.
 It's a technology I am going to keep a close eye on but be patient and wait it to mature and for some low cost high power designs to come out.

Paul_Bui

• Rode NTK and S-1 microphones
« Reply #2 on: 1 May 2005, 10:52 pm »
Hi albee and Tweaker,

I'm one of those who had been crazy about SET tube amps the low power solid state amps driving single driver speakers.  Out of curiosity I purchased a ClariT when it wasn't even offered with a 100% money back guarantee.  Unimpressed at first, I put it through the use of a TV amplifer for almost 2 months.  Afterwards, it's history.  In a way it's warm and fleshed out but not like tube nor solid state.  It's never sterile, burned in ot not.  You're right, as everything else, including super super amps like the Halcro, it's system dependant.  Regarding the PFO's 2nd reviewer, I think his speakers are very inadequate for the amp (it's like asking a Porsche 911 to tow a boat, which should be a Ford Explorer's job).  And the amp wasn't even broken in, I am sure.

I am not selling my SET nor the solid state amps yet, as I think all of them will shine in the right context.  Regarding your burning question,  
I think that the battery power lifts the AC noise thus freeing the amp from the grid line related distortions.  That for sure will contribute to the "good" sound that appeals to me.  The rest of explanation, I would ask either manufacturers like Tripath people, or Vinnie and Wayne who're very talented with modifying the "digital" amps, making them as good as they're today.  Of course, I realize there're good sounding digital amps that run off AC power.

Cheers!

Rocket

« Reply #3 on: 2 May 2005, 12:50 am »
Hi,

I recently purchase a ps audio hca - 2 amplifier which had rave reviews on many sites.  In my system it sounded thin, sterile and just didn't sound right.  I had a well regarded amplifier and the hca -2 had better transparency and refined top end.  Basically it wasn't a keeper.

I replaced the 4 signal caps with blackgates and what an improvement it wrought in my system.  The blackgates seemed to added body to the sound and made improvements to the weaknesses that i didn't like about the amplifier.

Regards

Rod

Tweaker

« Reply #4 on: 2 May 2005, 01:19 am »
It is interesting to think about how many amps, preamps, etc., out there that are just a high quality capacitor change or two away from being mediocre sounding -or worse, to being eminently listenable. The  quality of the components that go into a circuit is so important but so often overlooked or ignored.

Rocket

« Reply #5 on: 2 May 2005, 01:27 am »
Hi Tweaker,

Yes it is amazing how adding a good quality component can make a difference.  Although, i am now having problems with the left channel dropping out all the time.  I am going to remove the amp board and send it off to ps audio for them to repair it for me.

It shouldn't cost too much as the package is quite light.

I don't want to rave too much about nuforce but i wish i had heard about that amplifier prior to my ps audio purchase.  It doesn't need to be modded at all   :) .

Regards

Rod

Tweaker

« Reply #6 on: 2 May 2005, 02:04 am »
Rocket,
I have  a pair of Van Alstine amps I am quite happy with  although there is, I expect, lots of opportunities for improvement in the way of cap upgrades. I am, however very interested in new technologies and have as a result signed up to audition the Nuforce amps. Even if they sound great, as I expect they will, I will probably still be patient and wait for the wave of high power and affordable digital amps to start hitting the market.

albee

« Reply #7 on: 2 May 2005, 02:38 am »
All five Tripath devices I own have all sounded "warm".  That's with swapping I/Cs, speaker cables, and sources around.  It seems to be the one characteristic that I can attested to.  To me, my two stock SI's, driven by a SLA seems to sound somewhat like an EL 34 amp--warm midrange with contracted extreme frequencies.  It's this consistent quality that I hear that makes me wonder why Tripath devices have such a different sound?

Tweaker

« Reply #8 on: 2 May 2005, 02:48 am »
Warmth indicates a deviation from neutral. A good thing in my opinion if not carried too far. Wish I had an answer for you as to the why's. As someone suggested perhaps Vinnie from Red Rose could provide some ideas. Have you listened using ac power? Makes me wonder if the warmth might be a characteristic of battery powered components in general, not just digital amps.

albee

« Reply #9 on: 2 May 2005, 04:10 am »
Tweak:  For the longest I listened using mostly line current via various power supplies.  The sound was flatter and more congested than when using SLA power.  Battery is the way to go with the "cheaper" end of the Tripath spectrum.  I haven't heard an Evo or a similar priced application so I'm unfamiliar with what power supply tricks can be done  for more cash.