Hello from SylvainQc from Quebec-Canada

SylvainQc

• Music, Tube fan, vintage gear.. living in Quebec
Hello from SylvainQc from Quebec-Canada
« on: 15 Nov 2023, 02:52 am »
First post is to say hi evrtybody. Audio gear and music have been a part of my life for as far as I can remember. One could see the marks left by my teeth on the mono console while I was clinging to it.. watching a 78rpm record (beep beep from the Playmates..) I was 4 I think.
I'm in my 60's now.
I have quite a collection of equipment, so my system varies.. but mainly it is a Mission 775S turntable/774arm Adcom mc high output, Counterpoint SA1 pre/ QuadII tube monoblocs, Tannoy HPD 315 speakers / Reference 3A MM / Castle Clyde.. and a few other integrated amps, + I built a 45 SE Loftin/White amp that I love.. as well as a 300B SE wich is a work in progress.. can't wait to read about your own stuff and interests.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Hello from SylvainQc from Quebec-Canada
« Reply #1 on: 15 Nov 2023, 03:02 am »
Welcome to AC  :thumb:

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 15 Nov 2023, 04:03 am »
Welcome!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 15 Nov 2023, 04:46 pm »
Yes Welcome!!

Started around age 12 with my mom's old AM radio and a portable cassette deck.  My first "real" stereo purchase were JBL L44 speakers.  In college was a stereo guru on campus and had found I. M. Fried speakers.  Loved the transmission line sound but the 6 cubic foot bass boxes were too powerful for any room I'd ever afford.  Went thru  a bunch of gear, switched to CD's after literally dropping my nice turntable.  Eventually commissioned single driver transmission line floor standers.  But now own Buchardt A500SE's (active monitors).  Just ordered a Primare wireless preamp/streamer/room EQ.

Alain Arseneault

• Double A
« Reply #4 on: 16 Nov 2023, 12:27 am »
Bonjour Sylvain,
bienvenu sur ce site,
tu habite dans quelle ville au Québec ?
Hi Sylvain,
what city do you live in the province of Quebec, welcome to this site.

Double A

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #5 on: 16 Nov 2023, 03:11 pm »
Cheers/Bonjour & Welcome to AC Sylvain   :thumb:

SylvainQc

• Music, Tube fan, vintage gear.. living in Quebec
« Reply #6 on: 16 Nov 2023, 07:17 pm »
Hi JLM, I live in Québec city, near Old Québec. I can understand your affection for Transmission Line speakers. Their sound is unique. I lived with a pair of IMF TLS50 for  few years and had to sell them because I no longer had the 'space' for them. And they need Power, lots of. I love smaller tube amps now and more efficient speakers, Tannoy among other findings.
We no longer have AM broadcasting radio stations here anymore. Sad. I have a nice Scott + mpx tube fm tuner that sounds great too.. I imagine that FM is due to disappear at some point too..
What is the main music of audiophiles here? Streaming? Cd, vinyl?
I still use my Mission turntable 'but' do I regret it has no auto return.. I admit it makes lazy streaming very attractive at times..