Long time lurker, first time poster

Randyhandy

Long time lurker, first time poster
« on: 3 Nov 2023, 12:23 am »
Been researching what direction I'd like to go with a new system I've been saving for, for many years...will be a retirement gift to myself in a couple of years. I think I have a pretty good idea what I want but there's a few questions I have so I need to become a full fledged member before I can start bugging people. Not interested in going through the lifelong evolution of constant upgrades...would rather just be one and done, and enjoy. Besides, once retirement hits the budget will be constrained so I better get it right the first time! Anyway, hello all! :D

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Long time lurker, first time poster
« Reply #1 on: 3 Nov 2023, 02:17 am »
Welcome to AC  :thumb:
I have just retired also. Constant equips upgrades annoying wifes.
Dont know what you want or already have in your room.
If you dont want bother with replace tubes, I could suggest a reliable 100W Class D amp and a hi sensitivity FR driver as Lii Audio F15 $399/pair or F18 $520/pair in a barrel OB panel as used by Decware below.
[/b]
https://www.lii-audio.com/product/one-pair-18-inch-full-range-speakers-superb-scale-soundstage-with-new-imaging-f-18/

http://www.glowinthedarkaudio.com/lii-audio-f18.html

If you want the best fidelity available you must go Crossoverless, if you want just a hi SPL boxed speaker there are hi power handling pro-audio FR drivers for BassReflex boxes and even plenty of fancy looking commercial brands of hi sensitivity speakers as Klipsch RF7 that use a crossover, in this case you always will have some drawbacks as Tweeter beaming, Phase rotation at the freq cut, driver sensitivity loss, severe Harmonics loss and Retail price.
« Last Edit: 3 Nov 2023, 06:10 am by FullRangeMan »

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 3 Nov 2023, 01:13 pm »
Welcome!

Modern systems have evolved to wireless active monitors with a streaming hub.  My Buchardt A500SE's can do 25-40,000Hz +/- 1.5 dB in a monitor sized cabinet, includes room EQ and sophisticated low voltage crossover with various "Mastertunings", (4) 150 watt mono-blocks/DAC's, and dual Purifi mid/woofers.  An improved hub is soon to be released.  Just 3 power cords, no other wires or subwoofers needed.  JBL, KEF, and Klipsch are also on this bandwagon.

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 3 Nov 2023, 03:17 pm »
Welcome!

Randyhandy

« Reply #4 on: 4 Nov 2023, 02:33 pm »
Welcome to AC  :thumb:
I have just retired also. Constant equips upgrades annoying wifes.
Dont know what you want or already have in your room.
If you dont want bother with replace tubes, I could suggest a reliable 100W Class D amp and a hi sensitivity FR driver as Lii Audio F15 $399/pair or F18 $520/pair in a barrel OB panel as used by Decware below.
[/b]
https://www.lii-audio.com/product/one-pair-18-inch-full-range-speakers-superb-scale-soundstage-with-new-imaging-f-18/

http://www.glowinthedarkaudio.com/lii-audio-f18.html

If you want the best fidelity available you must go Crossoverless, if you want just a hi SPL boxed speaker there are hi power handling pro-audio FR drivers for BassReflex boxes and even plenty of fancy looking commercial brands of hi sensitivity speakers as Klipsch RF7 that use a crossover, in this case you always will have some drawbacks as Tweeter beaming, Phase rotation at the freq cut, driver sensitivity loss, severe Harmonics loss and Retail price.

Thanks for the info. Some time ago, I was considering a DIY open baffle design by Linkwitz Lab https://www.linkwitzlab.com/orion-rev4.htm but decided against it, wasn't sure it would pass the WAF test. Interesting design though.

Randyhandy

« Reply #5 on: 4 Nov 2023, 03:08 pm »
Welcome!

Modern systems have evolved to wireless active monitors with a streaming hub.  My Buchardt A500SE's can do 25-40,000Hz +/- 1.5 dB in a monitor sized cabinet, includes room EQ and sophisticated low voltage crossover with various "Mastertunings", (4) 150 watt mono-blocks/DAC's, and dual Purifi mid/woofers.  An improved hub is soon to be released.  Just 3 power cords, no other wires or subwoofers needed.  JBL, KEF, and Klipsch are also on this bandwagon.

Thanks for the info. I forayed into the wireless realm with a set of Dynaudio Xeo 5 powered active speakers several years ago. The main reason being the simplicity with no wiring (wife doesn't like seeing wires). They sounded somewhat okay, but ultimately didn't have the headroom I was looking for. I also found the performance to be spotty, signal dropouts. Went as far as locating the transmitter right next to the speakers, also replaced the transmitter...no joy. The wireless thing kinda put a bad taste in my mouth, not sure I want to go there again. However, I am interested in the active speaker setup (but not powered) such as the Bryston Model T actives with external amps and crossover. Thanks agin nonetheless on the suggestions.

Randyhandy

« Reply #6 on: 4 Nov 2023, 03:08 pm »

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #7 on: 5 Nov 2023, 12:23 pm »
Thanks for the info. I forayed into the wireless realm with a set of Dynaudio Xeo 5 powered active speakers several years ago. The main reason being the simplicity with no wiring (wife doesn't like seeing wires). They sounded somewhat okay, but ultimately didn't have the headroom I was looking for. I also found the performance to be spotty, signal dropouts. Went as far as locating the transmitter right next to the speakers, also replaced the transmitter...no joy. The wireless thing kinda put a bad taste in my mouth, not sure I want to go there again. However, I am interested in the active speaker setup (but not powered) such as the Bryston Model T actives with external amps and crossover. Thanks agin nonetheless on the suggestions.

Xeo 5 never impressed me.  The wireless gig has come a long way.  Had Dynaudio BM5 Mk3's (simple actives) that were quite enjoyable.  Bryston actives require lots of cabinets and tons of wire.  They're basically passives without a crossover trying to sell multiple amps.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #8 on: 5 Nov 2023, 05:49 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Randy   :thumb: