AKSA integrated amplifier

rimljan99

« on: 30 Apr 2005, 10:54 pm »
I was thinking to put together TLP and AKSA100N in the same chassis like  - hybrid integrated amplifier like ... Musical Fidelity Nuvista integrated amp.

I always like integrated amp for saving a place and shortening signal path, but  in this case would pros favour the cons? I am concerned about ground planes.

But putting AKSA 100 and GK1 in the same chassis should be hard work, right?

DSK

« Reply #1 on: 1 May 2005, 01:53 am »
Hi,
If you do some searching on this forum you will come across posts of the trials and tribulations of one or two people that have already tried this. As I recall, there were hum issues and the builder separated them again to resolve this. ....prettysure it was TLP & AKSA (not GK-1 & AKSA), I can't recall exactly. Nevertheless, search and you will find some useful info.

Cheers & good luck.

DSK

« Reply #2 on: 1 May 2005, 01:57 am »

AKSA

« Reply #3 on: 2 May 2005, 04:24 am »
Hi Rimljan99,

Don't do it.  Others have tried and found hum very difficult to cure.

Of course, it can be done, but the time and energy required to get it right is probably beyond most DIYers, and with good reason.

Cheers,

Hugh

rimljan99

« Reply #4 on: 2 May 2005, 08:19 pm »
Thanks for advice.

I will give up  this idea 8)

PSP

« Reply #5 on: 3 May 2005, 04:05 pm »
You probably could make an AKSA "integrated" by building a "passive preamp" section which would then feed the AKSA amp.  You would then have:

Source RCAs ->Selector Switch->Attenuator-->AKSA input ->Speakers

I ran my AKSA 55N like that for several months before I tried to build the TLP into the amp enclosure.  This led to (a) more involving music and (b) just enough hum to drive me nuts.  Listening to music was never a problem (hum was clearly audible right AT the speakers, you had to listen very carefully to hear it from the listening position).  My TLP hum issue was more a matter of pride... I didn't want people putting my system down just because they could hear a little hum with no music playing.

The "passive" option outlined above was dead quiet.  The sound was extremely good, and many prefer a surgically clean signal path.  When I added the TLP (and later the GK-1, only more so) I found myself putting the book down all the time to listen, swept away by the music.  I also found myself much more eager to finish what I was doing around the house so I could listen to more of that glorious music...

In any event, a passive is fairly easy to impliment... so you could try it and see how you like it.

Have fun,
Peter

rabbitz

« Reply #6 on: 15 May 2005, 12:33 pm »
I'm currently testing the AKSA 55N+ with different pre amp combinations and a passive pre is outdoing the active commercial pre amps and a DIY active pre amp.

I know the TLP and GK-1 are meant to enhance the AKSA but I would like to know how Hugh developed the sonics.... through a passive or active pre. I noticed in another thread that Hugh does mention that it's designed for running directly from a CD, DVD or passive pre and would like to know what value pot is most suitable.... my guess is between 20K and 50K.

rimljan99
You could try a passive inside the amp as they do work well with the right pot. I have 3 other amps that have been built with a passive pre inside and sound great and no hum or nasties. Alas they are not AKSA's but can give you an idea of implementation.

Cheers
Peter

rimljan99

« Reply #7 on: 16 May 2005, 08:25 am »
Thanks. :D

I got also one other thing in my mind. To build AKSA with pot and selector switch in one enclosure (passive integrated amplifier). This should seems like Gryphon Tabu integrated amp.

So if I want to add (GK/TLP) buffer I would put it in some other case, but without volume control. Than it should all be  like this:

CD player - (GK/TLP)buffer- AKSA integrated amp

I see one (dis)advantage here: the buffer must fully amplify signal all the time. But there is also one advantage: If I decrease volume on "passive integrated amp" I also decrease noise coming from buffer.

What do you think about my idea?8)

Rabitz, is your remote control circuit for motorized ALPS your design?

LP

rabbitz

« Reply #8 on: 16 May 2005, 02:29 pm »
rimljan99

The remote control circuit is a Silicon Chip Magazine design and I bought a kit, K5026, from Altronics in Australia.

http://www.altronics.com.au/index.asp?area=item&id=K5026

Clever little design and has normal volume up/down as well as a fine volume up/down and a mute which I found too fiddly to get work properly, so have that set for mute down only without the return.

Cheers
Peter

rimljan99

« Reply #9 on: 1 Jun 2005, 10:00 pm »
Where should I put potentiometer? Between TLP and AKSA, or before TLP?

Thanks

AKSA

« Reply #10 on: 1 Jun 2005, 10:44 pm »
I'd put the pot in front of the AKSA, after the TLP.  This will improve signal to noise ratio, based on past experiences.

Cheers,

Hugh

rimljan99

« Reply #11 on: 2 Jun 2005, 08:31 am »
Quote from: rimljan99
Thanks. :D

I got also one other thing in my mind. To build AKSA with pot and selector switch in one enclosure (passive integrated amplifier). This should seems like Gryphon Tabu integrated amp.

So if I want to add (GK/TLP) buffer I would put it in some other case, but without volume control. Than it should all be  like this:

CD player - (GK/TLP)buffer- pot-AKSA integrated amp

OK, so this should perform very well :D  :D  :D

nareshn

aksa 55N+ and 100+ and some queries
« Reply #12 on: 4 Dec 2005, 06:13 am »
Before i consider the 55 or 100 i have some queries.
1)AC Mains failure is very common in India.I want to avoid the on/off loudspeakers bumps.
2)I would be using PR1 speakers as shown in http://www.corrson.com/kits.html with the 55N+or100N+
The build quality is one of the best available worldwide.
3)For DC power supply can i use conventional tranformer instead of toroids if it does not effect the sonics?
4)55N+ or 100N+ - Iam considering 55N+ assuming that the sonic quality as mentioned in aksa website is same as 100N+.

Greg Erskine

« Reply #13 on: 5 Dec 2005, 06:40 am »
Hi nareshn,

1) My AKSA amp (old model) has a very minor turn-off thump, barely audible. Turn-on thump seems only to occur if filter caps haven't discharged. On the newer PSU, Hugh has a bleeder resistor to discharge the caps faster. I haven't found it annoying or damaging to my speakers....but I can't see a problem adding a speaker protection kit, I've been meaning to building one or two for my test system.

2) Your speakers look very similar to the VAF DC-X kits that I use. An excellent match for my AKSA.

3) I've never tried conventional transformers but can't imagine a problem. Maybe a little shielding just in case.

4) I'm using a AKSA 55 and find it more than adequate for my needs.

regards
Greg

nareshn

55 or 100
« Reply #14 on: 5 Dec 2005, 08:51 am »
Hi Greg,
iam considering the 55 stock or 55N+ .I have not decided yet.
Are you using aksa pre-amp also?
Can i use a pot from another amp to start with as pre-amp?

Greg Erskine

« Reply #15 on: 5 Dec 2005, 07:46 pm »
Hi nareshn,

I am currently using a AKSA 55 stock and find this my favourite amp in my collection. I have a N+ that I have been building slowly - its hard to believe that it will be even better.

I use an AKSA TLP preamp most of the times but if your CD player has a volume control IMHO you may not need a preamp. On some CDs I prefer no preamp, on others it seems to make a small improvement. The TLP will add some initial turn on thump and buzz if it is not turned on first and allowed to warm up. (a function of the tube???)

If your source doesn't have a volume control, a simple pot should be OK. The TLP has a 20k log pot (from memory) and I use a 100k log pot for this purpose when testing amps.

From my experience, others will no doubt disagree, good speakers and power amp really make the system. All the other "fluff" make small and subtle changes. I could be proven wrong one day.  :mrgreen:

So jump on board.

regards

Occam

Re: aksa 55N+ and 100+ and some queries
« Reply #16 on: 5 Dec 2005, 10:14 pm »
Quote from: nareshn
Before i consider the 55 or 100 i have some queries.
1)AC Mains failure is very common in India.I want to avoid the on/off loudspeakers bumps.
3)For DC power supply can i use conventional tranformer instead of toroids if it does not effect the sonics?

Hi Nareshn,

Welcome to audioCircles. With regards to conventional toroidal transformers, few other, easily available designs can compete with them for size, weight, efficiency or minimal hum inducing EM fields. And these are certainly important parameters, but certainly not a major determinant of sonics. Though induced hum can certainly be a royal pain. Of, IMO, more importance is the noise isolation provided by a mains transformer. As you've said, you're subject to frequent power outages. I'll also assume, that like here in NYC, the power quality itself is less than wonderful. Those toroids, when they lack a shield between the overwound primary and secondary to minimize the high capacitive coupling, simply pass noise through from primary to secondary.
Almost any alternative, expensive interwinding shielded toroids, shielded EI core, or Split/Multiple bobbin EI core transformers offer better performance with regards to noise, and certainly in noisey environments, sonics.

nareshn

« Reply #17 on: 6 Dec 2005, 05:45 am »
Thanks for  the valuable inputs.This would help me in in my decision to go ahead with the  project.

vsr123

Location Naresh?
« Reply #18 on: 8 Dec 2005, 09:05 am »
Hi Naresh
          Where in India are you? I have an Aksa... I am in Bangalore...

cheers
Sridhar

nareshn

« Reply #19 on: 8 Dec 2005, 09:30 am »
Iam in Bangalore.