If you could design your own speaker....

Jaytor

Re: If you could design your own speaker....
« Reply #20 on: 26 Oct 2023, 11:11 pm »
Loving my current speakers, now with quad subs (painted to match).

mkrawcz

« Reply #21 on: 26 Oct 2023, 11:31 pm »
Loving my current speakers, now with quad subs (painted to match).

That is literally as good as a 2 channel audio system can get.

VinceT

« Reply #22 on: 26 Oct 2023, 11:59 pm »

I'm very happy

My speakers, but not my room.

The LS9's are very fast, they are essentially 7 foot tall reference monitors. They put out what you put in. You read about the LS9's being bassy all the time, not at all in my room. I would say they can be lean on some recordings. I must say I do really like punch factor of what an enclosure can provide on the low mids. I am not sure where I could go from here for the money. They are that good!

Jaytor

« Reply #23 on: 27 Oct 2023, 12:22 am »
If you have the space, I think line arrays are the way to go. Each doubling of driver count increases efficiency by 3db, plus the SPL drops off at 3db per doubling distance instead of 6db. So the drivers are working a LOT less to create the same SPL at the listening position, resulting in less distortion and better dynamics.

You're obviously paying for a lot more drivers, but in most speakers the enclosure is a large percentage of the cost.

Some people complain that line arrays create an unrealistically large image, but I really haven't found that to be the case. I listen to a lot of "intimate" music (such as solo singer and guitar), and have found the image size to be fairly natural sounding.

KTS

« Reply #24 on: 27 Oct 2023, 12:33 am »

mkrawcz

« Reply #25 on: 27 Oct 2023, 12:50 am »
What are these? They look intriguing..

https://www.audiocircle.com/image.php?id=207794&size=xlarge
Left are Super 7. Right are xstatik

Jaytor

« Reply #26 on: 27 Oct 2023, 01:11 am »
I haven’t heard the x-statiks, but I have heard the super sevens. They are pretty amazing speakers. If you can find four BG Neo10 drivers, you can still build a set.

mkrawcz

« Reply #27 on: 27 Oct 2023, 01:19 am »
I haven’t heard the x-statiks, but I have heard the super sevens. They are pretty amazing speakers. If you can find four BG Neo10 drivers, you can still build a set.
I’m thinking a redesign with the Radian drivers is a good idea.

Jon L

« Reply #28 on: 27 Oct 2023, 01:22 am »
Plasma tweeters, for sure. 

VinceT

« Reply #29 on: 27 Oct 2023, 01:22 am »

Some people complain that line arrays create an unrealistically large image, but I really haven't found that to be the case. I listen to a lot of "intimate" music (such as solo singer and guitar), and have found the image size to be fairly natural sounding.

The image size is life like I agree, like someone is standing there right in front of you. I never got the image size impression of a "giant mouth singing" like some audio reviewers claim. I also get the "mid hall" image size on some recordings as well. They put out what you put in and replay how it was recorded. I get that vibe with my Encores too, I suspect it's the DNA of most if not all of GR designs.

As fast an clean as the LS9's are, I can only image what the line force sounds like.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #30 on: 27 Oct 2023, 01:25 am »
What are these? They look intriguing..

https://www.audiocircle.com/image.php?id=207794&size=xlarge

Yep, the ones on the left are the Super 7's which I have in my main music setup.  Excellent speakers.  Jaytor is right, if you can find 4 of the planar mids per speaker (so 8 total) you can build out a pair.  Although, IMO if you can find the drivers, try to get 2 more (so 6 per speaker or 12 total) and build out the Line Force instead.  Oh, and a whole lot of planar tweeters too (but they are still being made and are in stock). 

sb6

« Reply #31 on: 27 Oct 2023, 01:28 am »
That is literally as good as a 2 channel audio system can get.

There's always something better ;-)

Tyson

« Reply #32 on: 27 Oct 2023, 01:39 am »
A well done line array beats every other type of speaker I've heard.  Also they are a lot harder to design than a regular speakers.  It's not just a matter of putting a bunch of drivers next to each other.

Jaytor is right, adding drivers gives you better efficiency.  Plus the sound launches at you in a different manner.  Instead of rippling circles like regular speakers, the line array launches a cylindrical wave at you, which IMO sounds better than other wavepatterns.

KTS

« Reply #33 on: 27 Oct 2023, 12:19 pm »

I looked for the BG Neo10’s that is an expensive scavenger hunt! I am sure it is worth it, but I could only find on eBay and it gets pretty pricey!

Tyson

« Reply #34 on: 27 Oct 2023, 04:05 pm »
I looked for the BG Neo10’s that is an expensive scavenger hunt! I am sure it is worth it, but I could only find on eBay and it gets pretty pricey!

Don't fret, there's a new version out that HAL is using and it looks to be even better than the original Neo10's.

mkrawcz

« Reply #35 on: 27 Oct 2023, 04:22 pm »
Ok Danny/Hobbs, let’s start off easy. How about a new Super Mini using the Radian LM10?

KTS

« Reply #36 on: 27 Oct 2023, 07:17 pm »
Don't fret, there's a new version out that HAL is using and it looks to be even better than the original Neo10's.

Awesome!

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #37 on: 27 Oct 2023, 07:39 pm »
.... and it sounds stunningly real.    I heard it in Dallas last spring. 

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #38 on: 28 Oct 2023, 02:51 am »
Ok Danny/Hobbs, let’s start off easy. How about a new Super Mini using the Radian LM10?

I mean if someone really wants to fund such a project.. :wink:
(Once we have a few of these irons out of the fire of course)

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #39 on: 28 Oct 2023, 03:46 am »
A well done line array beats every other type of speaker I've heard.  Also they are a lot harder to design than a regular speakers.  It's not just a matter of putting a bunch of drivers next to each other.

Jaytor is right, adding drivers gives you better efficiency.  Plus the sound launches at you in a different manner.  Instead of rippling circles like regular speakers, the line array launches a cylindrical wave at you, which IMO sounds better than other wavepatterns.

Agree 100% Miss my Pipedreams. Lost them in a flood from sewage back up. Scale is missed sorely