Brand new member saying hello !

Nelson4u

Brand new member saying hello !
« on: 22 Oct 2023, 05:04 pm »
Hello everyone. I’m brand new here. I’ve been a member on AVS Forum for 20 years and getting back into my home theater and A/V research. Just came across AudioCircle while trying to find help with my Onyx Rocket RS750 speakers I bought long ago from AV123.com. As many know the company is gone. I have a blown crossover where the tweeter went out. I know the tweeter is operational, but crossover is bad.   I have looked at the crossovers and resistors look like they got very hot. I am not very familiar on how to repair crossovers. I do know how to solder though ! LOL. Wondering if anyone can help me out with here crossovers or know who I can contact to get them repaired ??

richidoo

Re: Brand new member saying hello !
« Reply #1 on: 22 Oct 2023, 09:57 pm »
Can you post a close up picture of the blown crossover?

Usually it's the tweeter that's the weak point in the tweeter circuit, so don't be surprised if it also sustained some damage. If tweeter voice coil melted and shorted, then it would show lower resistance, and would draw more current which could heat up an undersized resistor. In such case the tweeter may still make noise, but not match the performance of the other healthy tweeter.  If possible, measure the resistance across the tweeter terminals with a multimeter and post it here. Give it a sniff too, as the burnt smell persists for a while.

Resistors are designed to take a lot of heat without failing, even if they have discolored paint afterwards. But replacing the resistors with better quality parts can only help the sound quality even if the original resistors are still OK.

If crossover got so hot maybe it desoldered a connection that was borderline. Push and pull on the wiring of the xo to make sure all good connections.
Good luck and welcome to AC!

Danny Richie

Re: Brand new member saying hello !
« Reply #2 on: 23 Oct 2023, 09:08 pm »
Nelson4u, it was nice chatting with you today. I will get you the prices on everything very shortly.