Do Sonic Impacts watts equal Clari T watts?

nodiak

« on: 30 Apr 2005, 02:59 pm »
I'm trying a SI amp in my system to see if it will play loud enough on all my speakers. Works well with FE167E diy. I'm building a cab fo some that are ~2db less sensitive, if it works with them then I'll know a Clari T will do it...If the power outputs are equal. Are they?  TIA for responses.
    Don

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Re: Do Sonic Impacts watts equal Clari T watts?
« Reply #1 on: 30 Apr 2005, 04:13 pm »
Quote from: nodiak
I'm trying a SI amp in my system to see if it will play loud enough on all my speakers. Works well with FE167E diy. I'm building a cab fo some that are ~2db less sensitive, if it works with them then I'll know a Clari T will do it...If the power outputs are equal. Are they?  TIA for responses.
    Don

Hi Don,

Not only do my customers find that the Clari-T is vastly superior sounding than the SI across the spectrum, but that it also plays louder than the SI before to point of distortion.  However, both units use the same TA2024 chip (same power specs).

For example, when I let Louie from Omega listen to the Clari-T on his speakers, he couldn't believe that it was based on the same TA2024 chip as the SI because there was much more bass impact and control.  With his single driver speakers, he said the bass attack and control was better than his 50-watt chip amp (I will not mention any names).

Other Clari-T owners will hopefully state their opinions on this subject...thanks guys!

Thanks for posting here,

Paul_Bui

• Rode NTK and S-1 microphones
« Reply #2 on: 30 Apr 2005, 06:26 pm »
Nodiak,

IMO, your best bet is a ClariT without volume control (use your own tube preamp) with Black Gate caps upgrade.  My a little overkilled monoblocks are giving more juice and db (loudness) that I ever need on my 90 db speakers, and I are not even using an active preamp.

No I haven't heard the stock SI to tell how different a jump from it to the ClariT in terms of subjective power.  However, as I posted elsewhere, going from a stereo ClariT with volume control and stock caps to monoblocks without volume pot and with BG caps is one big dramatic leap in perceived power AND fidelity, considering that the stock ClariT is already a very strong musical performer.

The ClariT doesn't exhibit the noise or hum that several stock SI customers talked about.  In fact it (ClariT) is about one of quietest amps, only second to FirstWatt F1, which however can be on the verge of sounding sterile.  Bottom line is, a modded Tripath is likely to give higher fidelity, less to minimum noise, AND more power due to its better juice (SLA battery) and simple cleaner more direct electronics.

nodiak

« Reply #3 on: 30 Apr 2005, 07:39 pm »
Thanks Vinnie. Sounds like I should feel confident if the SI power is enough the ClariT will be fine in that respect too. Good.
    I'm letting this SI play for 50 hours or more to break in, the other speakers should be together next week to hear how SI pushes them. My Zen C hasn't got quite enough juice, I haven't decided not to get another for dual mon, but I'm a simplist at heart and so am looking for alternatives. I also really don't feel like getting into pricier and more complex tube gear. And I want to check out the new technology as well.
    Paul, it's good to hear your input as I remember you from Decware forum, and keep up with your comparisons to their gear, including recent Taboo session with Brad. The speakers I'm (very) into these days are Radial 1.5's. I'm loving the freedom from the "sweet spot" which allows the music to have ~ same energy in a much larger area of the room.
    I have thought if I get a ClariT it might be best for me to get a straight amp. I use a pre regardless for biamping and multiple sources. May get a tube pre, tho now i use AVA ss (Omega III). Should mention this is a large room and I use a sub below 70 hz. This gives both the mains and their amp a little relief form the bottom octaves demands.
    Don

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 30 Apr 2005, 07:53 pm »
Thanks Vinnie. Sounds like I should feel confident if the SI power is enough the ClariT will be fine in that respect too. Good.  

Hi Nodiak,

Yes, if the SI has enough power, the Clari-T will definitely have enough power.  :guitar:

Also, in case you are not aware, I offer a 30-day full money back return policy, just in case you are not 100% satisfied with your Clari-T.  And if you want to get wild with customization, this link will give you some ideas  :wink:

http://www.redwineaudio.com/Clari_T_Customization.html

If you have any questions, feel free to post here or email me privately...

Regards,

Paul_Bui

• Rode NTK and S-1 microphones
« Reply #5 on: 30 Apr 2005, 08:31 pm »
Don,

I confess I am losing interests in tube amps.  After hearing how candid a well excuted Tripath amp can be, I 've come to realize that I had been fooling myself into thinking that the illusion of a holographic soundstaging, among other goodies, is what high end audio is all about.  Not so anymore, now that I 've tasted the naked tone of music a battery powered Tripath (such as the ClariT) reproduces.

That said, a low level tube device is still probably needed to restore the body of music.  I hope that statement is wrong, because the incoming all battery powered transport will likely to change things over.

ndpjr

« Reply #6 on: 30 Apr 2005, 11:11 pm »
Hi Nodiak,

I bought a Clari-T and received it a little over a month ago. It
replaced a Korneff 45SE amp I had just purchased and the Clari-T has
been the amp I've been playing since I received it. It presents such
detail and clarity to the music and vocals that I think you would find
it well worth the purchase. With Vinnie's money-back trial period it is
certainly worth a try. It has it's own sound and for me it's the type
of detail and clarity of the music that I want to hear. I am using the
FT1600 MKII speakers by Bob Brines and it really sounds great with
them. From all the posts I read before and since I have purchased the
Clari-T there does not really seem to be many speakers the Clari-T does
not drive. I recently took the Clari-T over to a friend's who had the
Radial 1.5's and was using a SE84CS to drive them. The combination
sounded really nice but the Clari-T provided more bass and was as or
more detailed and fast as the Select. I hope you are able to hear the
Clari-T through a friend or by purchasing it as I think you will be
very surprised by it's sound and may find it's the sound you like with
or without a preamp. This is my opinion and I certainly do not have the
experience of the varied equipment some of the people who post on this
forum do, but a lot of them have replaced their amp with the Clari-T
and that should say a lot.

nodiak

« Reply #7 on: 1 May 2005, 04:11 pm »
Thanks everyone. I was starting to go on the great tube amp chase, a great winter/inside time adventure for me. Then spring began and my interests are back to surf/backpacking/biking/etc. with my $. Also, and more related to music I find I'd rather have a $500 amp and $500 worth of CD's than a $1000 amp. So that's my blah blah about all this.
    Vinnie, I think I would want a Clari T with no volume, larger battery (maybe 18 hr. range, want to be able to turn on in morn, off/recharge at night), Black Gates, upgraded posts and jacks. The bigger box would be good (for battery room). Can you give me prices for dual mono, and stereo versions of this? Any more info you need form me? Don nodiak@sbcglobal.net Thanks.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #8 on: 1 May 2005, 06:21 pm »
   Vinnie, I think I would want a Clari T with no volume, larger battery (maybe 18 hr. range, want to be able to turn on in morn, off/recharge at night), Black Gates ...

Hi Don,

I just emailed you...

Regards,