Buying a car out of state

Carlman

« on: 29 Apr 2005, 11:04 pm »
Has anyone here bought a new car from another state and brought it in?

If so, were there additional fees associated than when you buy a new car in NC?  

I know I'll have to pay sales tax but I don't know what else.  I'm having a tough time finding it on the web.

MANY thanks for anyone willing to divulge this info. :)

-Carl

Marbles

« Reply #1 on: 29 Apr 2005, 11:10 pm »
I bought a car in Illinois and titled it in Indiana.

The police have to come out and look at it to verify the the vin and to check to see if it was stolen.  The cost was $5 for the officer to come out.

That was the only extra cost in IN for buying an out of state car, I would bet NC is the same way.

Carlman

« Reply #2 on: 29 Apr 2005, 11:18 pm »
Thanks, Marbles... I've bought a car in SC when I lived in GA years ago... and there was nothing special about that process.  You just never know with these wacky NC'ers... ;)  

Plus, this is a heated negotiation at the moment... and every little bit matters.  :o

-C

claud

« Reply #3 on: 30 Apr 2005, 03:20 am »
I'm fairly sure that all you pay is NC sales tax and some title fees. Check with NC Dept. of Motor Vehicles, or just stop in and check where you buy your license plates.

mojoman

« Reply #4 on: 30 Apr 2005, 08:05 pm »
I bought a Highlander from my brother-in-law in FL and had it shipped here.  I'm pretty sure all we paid was the sales tax and tags.  I remember it was about $800 or so.