Discontinued models

mca

Discontinued models
« on: 29 Apr 2005, 08:48 pm »
Just curious as to why the Diluceo and Criterion speakers were discontinued? Does it have something to do with the ribbon tweeter?

Always wanted to try a pair at home after the excellent demo at the tubefest in Washington.

Lawler Bb

Discontinued models
« Reply #1 on: 29 Apr 2005, 09:53 pm »
I can't stop raving about my Diluceos.  I'd hurry and get a pair from CSS if you are interested.  I've had mine about two months and they just continue to amaze me.  

I think I remember hearing that the price/performance ratio isn't quite as good as the AV series, and therefore the Criterion and Diluceo aren't selling as well.  

That G2 ribbon tweeter is phenomenal.

Danny Richie

Lucidity series kits.
« Reply #2 on: 29 Apr 2005, 10:57 pm »
There are several reasons actually.

For one, to get any drivers from Eton at all we have to order 250 units at time. This is a pretty serious commitment of resources. The tweeters aren't exactly cheap either but at least we could order them in smaller quantities.

Secondly, the performance of our A/V series kits was really close and in some ways every bit as good and for about 1/3 the price. Our kit buying customers are looking for the best bang for their buck.

While nothing out performs the ribbon tweeters in the top octave or so there are also trade offs. For one the vertical dispersion of the ribbon is a little bit more limited than the dome tweeters we use. The dome tweeters can be crossed lower and are a lot more durable too. Once set up properly and with no fan blowing anywhere around them, the ribbons will last a long time, but blow on one of them with a quick puff of air and the element will be stretched out and need to be replaced. This is a major pain.

Then most people willing to spend more money for more performance are not looking to buy a kit. The majority of all Lucidity series speakers ordered were fully assembled and ready to play. Right now we are way to busy with design work for other companies and our own new products that we have little time to be fully assembling speakers.

Since I already mentioned that we had to order 250 woofers at a time from Eton, we are nearly sold out of them now, and we offered them for about two years, then this should tell you real quick about how many pairs of them we sold per month. They just don't move fast enough. For every pair of Criterion's or Diluceo's that were sold, we sold 20 or more A/V series kits.  

We turned the remaining sales over to Creative Sound Solutions and they have been blowing out their remaining inventory at really low prices. If you want a pair of them then get them while they last. Both models are really great sounding speakers. In fact, for a stand mounted speaker, they are hard to beat.

Jason1

Discontinued models
« Reply #3 on: 1 May 2005, 12:37 am »
Danny, do you plan to do another Lucidity series with different drivers, that you can source in smaller quantities?

I just ordered a pair of Diluceos from CSS :D , I hope that mappa burl looks as good as I think it will.

Lawler Bb

Discontinued models
« Reply #4 on: 1 May 2005, 12:42 am »
Mine are the Mappa Burl finish.  They are stunning.

Danny Richie

Discontinued models
« Reply #5 on: 2 May 2005, 12:55 am »
Danny, do you plan to do another Lucidity series with different drivers, that you can source in smaller quantities?

I'll only do another cost no object series if it can be a considerable improvement over our A/V series designs.

I might try a version of our new A/V-4 with a G-2si tweeter though.  :mrgreen:

I just ordered a pair of Diluceos from CSS  , I hope that mappa burl looks as good as I think it will.

Yep, he just e-mailed me and said he just sold the last pair. oh yea, the Mappa burl looks great!

I have enough parts in stock to sell one more kit. I might make someone a good deal on it. I also have a couple of pairs of Criterion's left that are fully assembled. I'll likely discount those too.

ooheadsoo

Discontinued models
« Reply #6 on: 2 May 2005, 01:07 am »
Aw, I had hoped that the css supply would last a year or two.  That was a stunning close out price - unfortunately, I wasn't the only one who noticed it :(

Jason1

Discontinued models
« Reply #7 on: 2 May 2005, 03:20 am »
I might try a version of our new A/V-4 with a G-2si tweeter though.

You could offer the tweeter with all of the A/V series. It would be like a new Paradox series.

Aw, I had hoped that the css supply would last a year or two. That was a stunning close out price - unfortunately, I wasn't the only one who noticed it

I wasnt planning on buying any speakers till the end of the year, when I move into my new place with a dedicated music room. I'm really not even going to be able to use these till then.

A speaker of this quality for $1000 new... I just couldnt pass it up. Looks like I got the last pair too  :mrgreen: