Klipsch KG4

x5472

Klipsch KG4
« on: 30 Sep 2023, 05:14 am »
Hey, does anyone own a pair of these speakers?
They were an 8" 2-way that came out in the mid 80's.
I thought about asking Danny to measure the ones I own, but doubt if anyone else even has any and would be interested in an upgrade.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Last Edit: 30 Sep 2023, 05:19 pm by FullRangeMan »

Danny Richie

Re: Klipsch KG4
« Reply #2 on: 30 Sep 2023, 12:50 pm »
Most of the vintage speakers that we measure appear to be broken when they left the factory. We can often upgrade them to much higher levels than the newer models, from that same company.

The deal breakers are when drivers have a huge amount of break up or resonances within the pass band that they have to be used in. I also can't fix the effects of a big wide baffle of framed edges that stick out past the front baffle.

DLStryker

« Reply #3 on: 15 Oct 2023, 09:46 am »
Hey, does anyone own a pair of these speakers?
They were an 8" 2-way that came out in the mid 80's.
I thought about asking Danny to measure the ones I own, but doubt if anyone else even has any and would be interested in an upgrade.

I have two sets of the KG4's. Also a pair of Heresy II.  Would love some crossover upgrades.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #4 on: 15 Oct 2023, 03:38 pm »
I have two sets of the KG4's. Also a pair of Heresy II.  Would love some crossover upgrades.

I had both of those speakers and upgraded the parts and added no rez.  While there was some improvement in clarity, the main problem that wasn’t fixed was the limitations of the drivers.  They just couldn’t handle being pushed very hard.  They’re fine for casual listening but for me they just weren’t capable of high end performance.  If you want serious performance, sell them and build any of Danny’s designs.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #5 on: 16 Oct 2023, 10:32 am »
I believe this is what Danny was very diplomatically trying to say.

x5472

« Reply #6 on: 24 Oct 2023, 04:08 am »
I have a newbie question about the kg4's.
It would not be hard at all to fill in the front of the speakers to eliminate the framed edges.
It would move the drivers out 1/4" would this be worth doing?
I already have some of Danny's speakers and the are fantastic.
I bought these speakers new myself and I'm just trying to get the most I can out of them!

Danny Richie

« Reply #7 on: 24 Oct 2023, 10:47 pm »
I have a newbie question about the kg4's.
It would not be hard at all to fill in the front of the speakers to eliminate the framed edges.
It would move the drivers out 1/4" would this be worth doing?
I already have some of Danny's speakers and the are fantastic.
I bought these speakers new myself and I'm just trying to get the most I can out of them!

I think that stuff is a drop in the bucket compared to other things that could be done. By the time you start changing up the cabinets and cutting new baffles, then you might as well just build new speakers.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #8 on: 24 Oct 2023, 10:49 pm »
I agree with Danny - if you already own the KG4, sell them and build out a GR Research Brute or Bully instead. 

SRP SRP

« Reply #9 on: 29 Oct 2023, 07:24 pm »
Trust these guys advice.

I went down the klipsch las scala upgrade path. Did virtually everything one can do.

My main speakers now are nx studios and rythmik subs.

For the heck of it the other day, I swapped out the studios for the la scalas. Lasted less than a day.  It was awful.

YMMV