sunny555

« on: 10 Sep 2023, 08:39 pm »
Hi,
I just joined and I am interested in Magnepan speakers, Stax and planar headphones, vacuum tube amps and pre amps and recently I started getting interested in Fist Watt like low power amps (and 300b amps)  - although they may not be able to power the Maggies….😀😂😭

sunny555

Re: New member
« Reply #1 on: 10 Sep 2023, 08:40 pm »
First, not Fist

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 10 Sep 2023, 11:53 pm »
Welcome to AC  :thumb:
Other nice small amp is the Schiit Aegir not full Class A but inexpensive, if one have a tube pre-amp it may be a nice combo.

300B tubes are just hype for the US market who dont bother pay $500 or more for a single tube since its made in ''America'', there is many inexpensive power tubes with great sound.

sunny555

« Reply #3 on: 11 Sep 2023, 06:10 am »
I have an Audio Research VS115 amplifier that uses 8x 6550C (or KT88 or even KT120) and none of these are inexpensive anymore. One of the tubes sparked and probably took out a resistor or something - the whole amp is dead. I haven’t had a chance to check, or send for repairs. And I moved a couple of times and I don’t know how many of the remaining tubes survived. A matched octet varies from $700 to over $1000 and they are all Chinese or Russian tubes (except JJ). I was using the Audio Research to power Magnepan 3.7’s and they were OK, but the Maggies, like some of the Stax headphones/earspeakers need as a lot of power to really come to life.And not just a question of volume. It’s like regular vs balanced cables. I had a Sennheiser HD600 for years with the stock cables and was happy with them. Recently after watching a review of the Woo audio tube mini I decided to try out some cheap balanced cables for the HD600 with the Ifi Zen DAC - WOW, not only more detail, but a lot more pleasant to listen to…

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #4 on: 11 Sep 2023, 01:55 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC   :thumb:

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 11 Sep 2023, 02:28 pm »
Welcome!

HiFiver655

« Reply #6 on: 16 Sep 2023, 03:34 pm »