Speakers "burned in" I think

Glady86

Speakers "burned in" I think
« on: 9 Sep 2023, 05:09 pm »
 I know its a controversial subject, but if people would like to comment on the improvements they experienced I think it would be interesting. I think my NX Oticas improved in terms of dynamics and coherency,

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: Speakers "burned in" I think
« Reply #1 on: 9 Sep 2023, 05:23 pm »
For me, there's a grace period during the first 20 hours where the speaker sounds pretty good.  Then hours 20 through 50 are terrible, then 50 thorough 100 are steady improvement to 'good'.  Then 100 to 200 it goes from good to great.

Glady86

« Reply #2 on: 9 Sep 2023, 06:09 pm »
For me, there's a grace period during the first 20 hours where the speaker sounds pretty good.  Then hours 20 through 50 are terrible, then 50 thorough 100 are steady improvement to 'good'.  Then 100 to 200 it goes from good to great.

I can't say the sound was terrible at any point. Most of the improvements I hear happened recently, probably somewhere in between 150 to 200 hours now. Most of that was moderate sound levels. Lately I've been occasionally listening at higher levels, I hit 92 DBA peaks at times. They sound great loud but need to try and resist the temptation of listening too loud.  :nono:
« Last Edit: 10 Sep 2023, 03:54 am by Glady86 »

g3rain1

« Reply #3 on: 9 Sep 2023, 07:05 pm »
How does power/volume effect those times? Or does it not matter?

VinceT

« Reply #4 on: 9 Sep 2023, 09:12 pm »
 my encores got much better between 300-400 hours.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 9 Sep 2023, 10:45 pm »
How does power/volume effect those times? Or does it not matter?
In my experience, so long as a signal continues to pass through at a whisper the process will progress mostly the same.
When I burn in something I play music for 22 hrs with 2 hours of "rest" to allow everything to cool an settle.
But it wouldn't hurt to play them at different levels at different times of the day. (Whisper at night, low-moderate in the day)
Usually louder levels help more with initial driver break in than crossover burn-in.

Budget parts don't change much over time, just a pretty subtle improvement for the first 50-100 hrs

Higher-end components typically need 200 hrs and will typically follow a process much like Tyson noted.

Anything containing oil or wax (especially caps) will typically need a minimum of 400-500 ours.
Oil & wax damped/impregnated caps can sometimes be rather "unstable" in their sound and can go through several phases of sounding good then bad before they finally get to their gradual improvement phase.
Some brands will tend to be more stable than others.