Room Mode or What?

Danny Richie

Re: Room Mode or What?
« Reply #20 on: 6 Sep 2023, 04:04 pm »
Man, you have great speakers in a room with hardly any room treatment.

If you tube trapped the corners and some of the reflection spots, and added diffusers across most of those bare walls, it would really transform that system.

You can't EQ out problems like that as they are specific to one spot in the room. Move over a little to another spot and all the EQ you just did was futile, and just as bad as it was before.

Room treatment is you solution.

WGH

« Reply #21 on: 6 Sep 2023, 04:45 pm »
Here is a link to diffuses and bass absorption that will help

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=186953.msg1960006#msg1960006

Digi-G

« Reply #22 on: 6 Sep 2023, 05:47 pm »
I know that having your main speakers sit on the subs is convenient, but have you thought of locating them separately?  I have much better luck with my (single) sub against a side wall, away from the corner.  Anyway, it might give you much more sonic options.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #23 on: 6 Sep 2023, 07:40 pm »
Here's what my room treatment looks like.

Front Wall GIK Acoustics Tri-Traps with range limiters in the corners and PI Audio Group diffusers in the center

Here's the back wall. GIK Acoustics Alpha panels in the rear corners and behind the LP

There are also PI Audio Group diffusers at the first reflection points

BTW, the speakers are a custom pair I built for a client that are being burned in. The NX-Otica MTMs will return once the burn in is done.

mkane

« Reply #24 on: 6 Sep 2023, 07:55 pm »
 I'll get a picture of the dials

mkane

« Reply #25 on: 6 Sep 2023, 08:07 pm »
 Left/right dials & rear wall. I'm going to buy some materials to construct diffusers. Traps I'll probably buy ready-made. Absorbtion I'll probably DIY also.

toggle switches are on AVR Extension filter 28/Hi

I really appreciate the input.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #26 on: 6 Sep 2023, 10:07 pm »
I see one problem - bandwidth is too wide.  Change it to "min" instead of "max". 

Re-measure after making that change on both sub amps.

mkane

« Reply #27 on: 6 Sep 2023, 10:10 pm »
I see one problem - bandwidth is too wide.  Change it to "min" instead of "max". 

Re-measure after making that change on both sub amps.

Excellent. Can't measure today but I can listen

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #28 on: 6 Sep 2023, 10:12 pm »
In fact, I would measure and tune only 1 speaker at a time.

mkane

« Reply #29 on: 6 Sep 2023, 10:16 pm »
 My tuning skills are not to good but I think I hear a difference. Bass seems to have picked up clarity, less decay if you will.

bernardo

« Reply #30 on: 6 Sep 2023, 10:24 pm »
I'll give you my experience with trying to resolve a 50 hz peak in a room with Rhythmik PEQ. My room size is close to the same as yours.

I have four GIK Soffit Traps in the front corners behind my GR Research Super-7s. I have added eight range limited GIK Monster Traps over the last few months - four 2x2 traps with ATS diffusers on top across the front between the Soffit Traps and four 2x2 and 2x4 traps on the side walls behind the speakers and at FRPs. All this has improved the quality of bass - no doubt about it. However, it has done almost nothing for the 50 hz peak.

I set the Rythmik PEQ at maximum cut at 50 hz at every bandwidth - little to no effect.

I ended up ordering a DSPeaker Anti-Mode 8033S-II Subwoofer equalizer for $400 from Power Sound Audio.  It comes with a microphone, power supply, auto-processing, 60 day trial, and 5 year warranty.

Works great for me - Holley Cole Train Song now sounds like an acoustic bass instead of an electric bass. Bass is even and smooth now.

I don't understand Danny's comment about moving over a little and loosing the effect. I sit in one place to listen so not an issue for me. If multiple listeners are involved maybe it wouldn't be as effective a solution. YMMV

mkane

« Reply #31 on: 6 Sep 2023, 10:36 pm »
 I'm going to listen to that song

mkane

« Reply #32 on: 6 Sep 2023, 10:44 pm »
 I can feel that. Sounds acoustic and I like her voice which is unusual. I generally don't enjoy singing.

Danny Richie

« Reply #33 on: 7 Sep 2023, 10:30 pm »
I don't understand Danny's comment about moving over a little and loosing the effect. I sit in one place to listen so not an issue for me. If multiple listeners are involved maybe it wouldn't be as effective a solution. YMMV

Peaks and dips are a result of room reflections and will vary within the room by a lot. You may be in a spot with a peak at one frequency, then move around in the room and you might find a peak that is in a completely different area (frequency wise).

So when you EQ you are just turning down the overall level at a given frequency.

The room peaks and dips are all still there.

mkane

« Reply #34 on: 8 Sep 2023, 01:38 pm »
H-Frames sit right on hardwood I'm going to try a bit of isolation and see what that brings for kicks.

AllanS

« Reply #35 on: 8 Sep 2023, 02:16 pm »
I’m sorting out very similar issues with my asymmetric space, which is an 11’x14’x8’ portion of an overall 19’x14’ room that doubles as office space.
If you’re interested in going down this rabbit hole I’d highly recommend this AVNirvana waterfall thread.  I think the author does a very good job of assessing room modes and the effect of different remedies.
  https://www.avnirvana.com/threads/adventures-in-waterfalling-understanding-signal-levels-in-time-domain-graphs.7341/
In my case I plan to apply additional treatments up to our aesthetic limit, selective PEQ/DSP to tame hot spots that aren’t addressed by treatments, and a small sub or two (most likely placed apart from the main speakers) to fill in nulls.  The end product will be a sum of compromises.
Best of luck!

mkane

« Reply #36 on: 8 Sep 2023, 10:40 pm »
H-Frames sit right on hardwood I'm going to try a bit of isolation and see what that brings for kicks.

No difference. 

And thanks AllenS

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #37 on: 8 Sep 2023, 11:00 pm »
I got custom isolation platforms for my OB subs but I found spikes actually worked better.  Just be wary of what’s under the spikes.  100+ pound speakers will go through stuff.

mkane

« Reply #38 on: 8 Sep 2023, 11:20 pm »
hardwood says no to spikes

mkane

« Reply #39 on: 8 Sep 2023, 11:29 pm »
I’m sorting out very similar issues with my asymmetric space, which is an 11’x14’x8’ portion of an overall 19’x14’ room that doubles as office space.
If you’re interested in going down this rabbit hole I’d highly recommend this AVNirvana waterfall thread.  I think the author does a very good job of assessing room modes and the effect of different remedies.
  https://www.avnirvana.com/threads/adventures-in-waterfalling-understanding-signal-levels-in-time-domain-graphs.7341/
In my case I plan to apply additional treatments up to our aesthetic limit, selective PEQ/DSP to tame hot spots that aren’t addressed by treatments, and a small sub or two (most likely placed apart from the main speakers) to fill in nulls.  The end product will be a sum of compromises.
Best of luck!

What I learned is most adjustments are a mask. The real deal is room treatment.