Greetings From Wisconsin

peter4jc

• AVA DM-225's & Vision SLR; Philharmonic Audio HT's
Greetings From Wisconsin
« on: 4 Sep 2023, 04:39 am »
Hello all! 

I came to read up on Van Alstine products and found this to be a great place to learn about more than I ever knew I didn't know.  Thanks in advance to all the members who make this a wonderful forum!

Cheers!
Peter in Milwaukee

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Greetings From Wisconsin
« Reply #1 on: 4 Sep 2023, 12:41 pm »
Welcome from Michigan (my son is living in Madison).

Have been into stereo/audio for 50 years and been around the block trying different approaches.  Here's briefly what I've learned:

- Loudspeakers are the most important component.  Strive for above average efficiency (~92 dB/w/m), fewer drivers, size to fit the room, tweeters at listening ear level.

- The listening space is the 2nd most important component.  Avoid small, squarish rooms that aren't acoustically isolated.  Try for a private room dedicated to audio. 

- Power amps must be properly matched to the loudspeakers.  Active designs are the best for this, let the designer decide.

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 4 Sep 2023, 12:53 pm »
Welcome!

peter4jc

• AVA DM-225's & Vision SLR; Philharmonic Audio HT's
« Reply #3 on: 4 Sep 2023, 03:36 pm »
Thanks, JLM and Phil A!

My living room splits duties as my listening room, it's 13x18, carpeted with a standard ceiling, three windows, and two doorways.  I do need to look into some acoustical treatments and could do anything I wanted because I'm a widower who lives alone, but should do something reasonable just so visitors don't realize how nuts I truly am... I want to be the one to convince them of that, not my decor ;-).

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 4 Sep 2023, 09:33 pm »
Welcome to AC  :thumb:
IMO I dont know whats is your speakers, but if its planars you dont need acoustics treatments, you will need a live room due the low sensitivity planars like Magnepan offer, in my experience with the Carver Amazing 88dB.

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 4 Sep 2023, 10:24 pm »
Thanks, JLM and Phil A!

My living room splits duties as my listening room, it's 13x18, carpeted with a standard ceiling, three windows, and two doorways.  I do need to look into some acoustical treatments and could do anything I wanted because I'm a widower who lives alone, but should do something reasonable just so visitors don't realize how nuts I truly am... I want to be the one to convince them of that, not my decor ;-).

No worries about that.  I live alone and have people send me links like  https://www.amazon.com/Straight-Jacket-Novelty-Costume-X-Large/dp/B012YIEQG4/ref=asc_df_B012YIEQG4/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312740669997&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2534126655313202874&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9011833&hvtargid=pla-642953098986&th=1&psc=1

I don't let it bother me in the slightest.