Tube Amplification

ejmathews

• Necessity is the Mother of Invention
Tube Amplification
« on: 27 Aug 2023, 11:41 pm »
Hello AudioCircle,

I’m a longtime audio enthusiast and electronics builder. Since I’m new to the group, here is a short introduction.

Like many audiophiles, my audio system has seen many different pieces of gear over the years. Most noteworthy is that  my system has migrated to having all-tube amplification (except for driving subs and my music server). The chain includes bi-ampliication using tubes for the monitors and the bass. I was nervous about this change since I have always used solid state to drive the low end. However, the change has been amazing far exceeding my expectations.

Briefly, my system uses a Manley Chinook phono preamp, ARC LS5 MK III line stage, Marchand XM-126 crossover, ARC VT100 MK II amp on bass and Music Reference RM9 MK II amp driving the monitors. My turntable is a Sony 2251 turntable with Music Reference tonearm. The twin subs are Velodyne ULD15s. The DAC is a Burson Composer Reference X. My speakers are Verity Parsifal.

Overall, I’m super happy with my current spaghetti mishmash of gear. I love tube sound. Most important, I look forward to meeting others and contributing to this great hobby.

John M.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Tube Amplification
« Reply #1 on: 27 Aug 2023, 11:44 pm »
Welcome to AC  :thumb:

opnly bafld

« Reply #2 on: 27 Aug 2023, 11:55 pm »
Have you ever tried any tube amps below 100 watts?  :wink:

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: 28 Aug 2023, 12:07 am »
Greetings & Welcome to AC  John    :thumb:

ejmathews

« Reply #4 on: 28 Aug 2023, 01:21 am »
Hi Openly,

I have never tried low wattage SE amps. However, I have played with Dynaco stereo 35s, a Fisher 800c, etc. that have lower power.  On my system, I like the headroom provided by these medium power 125 watt amps; highish power without any sense of strain sounds great to me.

As a member of the Connecticut Audio Society, we get to hear many different members’ systems and the ones with a bit of beef appeal to me most.

John

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #5 on: 28 Aug 2023, 03:20 am »
This is a interesting no ads, no commercial interests site specialized in small tube amps>
http://www.glowinthedarkaudio.com/amps.html

Phil A

« Reply #6 on: 28 Aug 2023, 01:04 pm »
Welcome!

ejmathews

« Reply #7 on: 28 Aug 2023, 03:13 pm »
Hi FullRangeMan,

My main speakers, Verity Audio Parsifals, perform well at low power. As part of the CT Audio Society, we had an amp shootout at my home several years ago and the Parsifals performed well even on smaller vintage 5 watt tube amps. We auditioned about 15 amps or so, both transistor (including a germanium unit) and tube. Everything was level matched and blind behind a screen. People voted on their favorites.

Interestingly, my tweaked ARC VT-100 MK II performed extremely well and it got rated one of the highest of the bunch. Some of the low-wattage guys were surprised. I appreciate that amp because it holds its posture at higher levels and can lead to an exciting presentation. However, I’m a firm believer that there are many pathways to happiness in our hobby which makes it always interesting. 

John

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
« Reply #8 on: 28 Aug 2023, 09:44 pm »
Unfortunately small amps dont perform well under 8Ω and 96dB IMO, it would have to be 16Ω and hi electric sensitivity like it used to be before WW2, also a 45/2A3 1.5W are not intended to drive a xover, a small room also will help.

There is various different solutions that can work for each system, room and personal taste, small tube amps and hi sensitivity speakers just are a interesting cheap solution.

ejmathews

« Reply #9 on: 29 Aug 2023, 12:56 am »
Probably great for near field listening. No crossover and clean path are good.

John