New 11 Million Dollar Power Cord. Taking Preorders now!

Kevin P

• http://www.diycable.com
For those who need the best.   We have teamed up with NASA to develop the ultimate power cord.   I sent them a couple Asylum Cords to help prove what a good power cord could do for their rocket ships.

Next Generation Asylum Cable

cryotweaks

• Funny name. Serious audio.
    • TweekGeek.com
« Reply #1 on: 28 Apr 2005, 03:29 pm »
From the people who pay $11,000 for a hammer...:lol:

Nanotubes are the future, for real.  They are a little expensive now, at $900/gram.  Jack Bybee uses them in his little devices.  A very tiny amount that is.

I have a great scientific american article on nanotubes. If you are interested, I would be happy to send it to you.

ctviggen

« Reply #2 on: 28 Apr 2005, 03:52 pm »
Anyone know what "The cable, also known as a quantum wire, would theoretically conduct electricity up to 10 times better than traditional copper wire and weigh one-sixth as much." means?  10 times better in what regard?  I realize that these nanotubes have some outstanding properties, but to quantify that to say they're conducting electricity up to 10 times better than traditional copper wire is pretty much meaningless.  Are they 10 times smaller for the same current-carrying capacity?  Do they have 10 times less resistance?  

I didn't know that nanotubes went into Bybees.

cryotweaks

• Funny name. Serious audio.
    • TweekGeek.com
« Reply #3 on: 28 Apr 2005, 04:05 pm »
From Scientific American, December 2000

"And because the bonds among carbon atoms are so much stronger
than those in any metal, nanotubes can transport terrific
amounts of electric current—the latest measurements show
that a bundle of nanotubes one square centimeter in cross
section could conduct about one billion amps. Such high currents
would vaporize copper or gold."

and

"For example, researchers are currently debating exactly
how electrons move along a nanotube. It appears that in defect-
free nanotubes, electrons travel “ballistically”—that is,
without any of the scattering that gives metal wires their resistance.
When electrons can travel long distances without
scattering, they maintain their quantum states, which is the
key to observing effects such as the interference between electron
waves. A lack of scattering may also help explain why
nanotubes appear to preserve the “spin” state of electrons as
they surf along. (Electron spin is a quantum property, not a
rotation.)"

Hmmm....

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #4 on: 28 Apr 2005, 04:47 pm »
At the rate of technical advancement these days, I'm waiting for nanotubes to come down in price to nanobucks. Shouldnt be too long a wait.

WerTicus

« Reply #5 on: 28 Apr 2005, 06:01 pm »
who's ready for an audio revolution?!  and the rest that this is going to dramatically improve :P

miklorsmith

My order is in
« Reply #6 on: 28 Apr 2005, 06:18 pm »
You'd better sign up now.  I'm putting all the early adopters to shame by buying these when they don't exist.  I've sold my amp, speakers, CDP, house, and children.  My wife is none too happy.  But, I dream of the clearest, least confused AC (not to be confused with AudioCircle) power not yet known to man.  As with all my seemingly nonsensical ideas she ultimately accepts, this too shall pass.

New stuff is great, but being the first on the block to get something they haven't even invented?  I can't believe how great this is.  I also can't fathom how this isn't common practice in the technology sector.  Yeah, we're all SO excited about the new this'n'that and ready to trash the stuff we bought yesterday - how have they not sold us this yet?  WAKE UP.

Anything you buy today is already hopelessly outdated.  You can't be current.  The only way to stay ahead of the curve is to Literally be ahead of it.  Translation?  Sell everything and buy on speculation.  If it ever comes to fruition, it's done.  Dump it.

This is the natural evolution of consumerism.  Buy in today, no wait, tomorrow, or be forever lost.

DanWiggins

• Acoustic Development Inc.
« Reply #7 on: 28 Apr 2005, 06:42 pm »
You guys are all late...  We've already wound voice coils with nanotubes.  The bass was so fast that Charlie Watt's drums finished 30 seconds before the rest of the Stones...

Dan Wiggins
Adire Audio

miklorsmith

« Reply #8 on: 28 Apr 2005, 06:45 pm »
Dare to Dream.  That's what I'll call this great idea.

Kevin P

« Reply #9 on: 28 Apr 2005, 07:26 pm »
Quote from: DanWiggins
You guys are all late...  We've already wound voice coils with nanotubes.  The bass was so fast that Charlie Watt's drums finished 30 seconds before the rest of the Stones...

Dan Wiggins
Adire Audio

Hey... is that why all those new Adire drivers are so expensive?   Is it the new nanotube technology?  :o
 :D

Some of the protype cords we made were too fast.   We had to put some copper in there to slow down the electrons.  You would plug them in and the equipment would turn on before you could get to the power switch!

Scott F.

« Reply #10 on: 28 Apr 2005, 08:48 pm »
Quote from: ctviggen
Anyone know what "The cable, also known as a quantum wire, would theoretically conduct electricity up to 10 times better than traditional copper wire and weigh one-sixth as much." means?  10 times better in what regard?  I realize that these nanotubes have some outstanding properties, but to quantify that to say they're conducting electricity up to 10 times better than traditional copper wire is pretty much meaningless.  Are they 10 times smaller for the same current-carrying capacity?  Do they have 10 times less resistance?  

Once upon a time I did some research on these 'new' conductors (super conductors as the researchers call it). This technology is still in it's infancy. If I remember right it's referred to as mu-metal or superconductors. If you take this metal down to 400 below it literally has zero resistance. In turn you can send 10 times the ampacity through a wire one tenth of the current common equivilant size. This wire is essentially made up of different percentages of copper, nickel, iron and other metals (plus some fairy dust).

The technology exists but at last check (well over a year ago since I read up on it) they were having trouble producing anything in large quantities. My memory is telling me they couldn't get more than a 100' run at a time for some reason.

There are all kinds of research facilities delving into the technology. If you Google 'mu metal' and 'superconductor' you should come up with loads of hits.

Don't flame me if I got my facts wrong (above). Like I said, it's been over a year since I did the research.

What got me going on it was Srajan's review of a pair of interconnects made of this stuff. When I talked to him he said they were the best he's heard. He got them from some guy who found a 1000' of manufacturing seconds in Russia somewhere (or something to that effect, again it's been a year).
Oh BTW, the interconnects were like $6000 or something.

Kevin P

« Reply #11 on: 28 Apr 2005, 08:58 pm »
Quote from: Scott F.
Don't flame me if I got my facts wrong (above). Like I said, it's been over a year since I did the research. ...

Hey... no flaming allowed here.   We are just having fun!

Scott F.

« Reply #12 on: 28 Apr 2005, 09:20 pm »
You know as I read through that link it looks like what I was talking about is old technology. These new nanotubes and carbon stuff are something completely different than the superconductors of yore (thats scary, yore was just last year).

Guess I ought to read the link before I make a post, aye?  :mrgreen:

.... I'll go back to my room now ....

shokunin

« Reply #13 on: 28 Apr 2005, 10:51 pm »
Quote from: Scott F.
What got me going on it was Srajan's review of a pair of interconnects made of this stuff. When I talked to him he said they were the best he's heard. He got them from some guy who found a 1000' of manufacturing seconds in Russia somewhere (or something to that effect, again it's been a year).
Oh BTW, the interconnects were like $6000 or something.

Sounds like the Stealth Nanocarbon cable, made of nano-fibers... makers of the $6000 Indra cable.

Kevin P

« Reply #14 on: 29 Apr 2005, 12:13 am »
I'm really on the wrong end of this market.