New to Forum

edevlin

New to Forum
« on: 20 Jul 2023, 12:26 am »
Hi all, I have been into audio for quite some time, but I have not gotten any new speaker cables for a while. I just replaces some 19.5 gauge braded speaker cables with a 10 gauge braded cable. I am wondering how long the new cables will take to break in. So far they seem a bit dull with narrower soundstage compared the cables they are replacing. FYI, I upgraded the caps in my speaker crossover (Revel 126be) and they sounded quite bright for the first 50 hours or so, wondering if cables will take that long to settle down.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: New to Forum
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jul 2023, 08:29 am »
Welcome to AC  :thumb:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 20 Jul 2023, 12:09 pm »
Welcome!

Revel 126Be are good loudspeakers from good designers.  Different values will affect the crossover frequency, wouldn't second guess Revel on values/types/brands of crossover components.  Did you swap the same value of capacitors?  Changing types/brands also make a difference.

10 gauge speaker cable seems extreme.  How long of runs are they?  10 gauge is recommended for 50-100 ft runs.

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 20 Jul 2023, 01:54 pm »
Welcome!

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 20 Jul 2023, 03:09 pm »
Iam using Supra10 (awg 8, 10mm + 10mm copper) to a sole FR driver. Seems Iam outlaw for the audiphiles standard established by the US audio press.

edevlin

New to Forum, Pt 2
« Reply #5 on: 20 Jul 2023, 06:01 pm »
Hi all, I am still figuring out how to post on the forum, I am trying some pics in this post. First a typo, my first post said I was upgrading from a 19 to 10 gauge speaker wire. It was actually a 13 gauge wire (Kimber Carbon 8) to a 10 gauge wire (GR Research 16 strand cable). The two speaker cables sound quite a bit different, with the new thicker cable not broken in yet. The new cables sound dull with narrower soundstage, but with a more solid center channel image. I have not listened to different speaker cables for a while, and I was struck by how different the two sets of cables sound and how easy it was to hear the difference.

Second, I sent my Revel 126be satellites into GR Research to have a look at them. The upper end measured a bit rolled off, so they recommended a change in resistor value to flatten out the response a bit. I also upgraded the caps and binding posts in the speaker. The speaker sounded pretty bright at first, but after about 50 hours they settled down. I suspect the difference in the sound is the upgraded caps, but speaker sounds much better now, faster, better resolution, better soundstage. BTW, they did a review of the Revel's that I sent in. They did not think it was much of a speaker for the money, ha: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1S-jTJK43t0&t=761s

Cheers,

Ed

edevlin

New to Forum, Pt 3
« Reply #6 on: 20 Jul 2023, 06:21 pm »
I guess I need three approved posts before I can search or do much on the forum, so here is a third post. I am a big fan of the Revel speakers, I also have a pair of the F226be speakers in the living room. I got rid of what seemed like a couple pounds of binding posts on the rear and put in Tube Connectors. I looked at the crossover which looked pretty fussy, so I left it alone. Not sure if I could hear any difference by swapping out the binding posts, but speakers sound pretty good to my ear, even with the cheap crossover parts that came with them. BTW, I am using Kimber 8TC setup in a biwire for the speakers. Again, I don't think I could hear much of a difference when I went from 8TC in a stereo setup with factory binding posts with a jumper between the posts, and the biwire setup.

Blackmore

Re: New to Forum, Pt 2
« Reply #7 on: 20 Jul 2023, 07:16 pm »
Hey Ed!  Cool graphs and modifications on the Revels.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #8 on: 20 Jul 2023, 07:50 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Ed   :thumb:

toocool4

« Reply #9 on: 20 Jul 2023, 09:37 pm »
Welcome to AudioCircle edevlin.

Personally for me I find that cables don’t take long to break-in, unless you have some sort of electronics in the chain. What you get at the beginning is pretty much what you’ll get in the end. So if you don’t like what you are getting now, you are not going to like them anymore hours down the line.  People that are expecting a radical change are in for a shock.

I use MIT / Spectral cable and even though they have electronics in the chain, they did not sound radically different after hours of use.

golfugh

• Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth
« Reply #10 on: 20 Jul 2023, 10:56 pm »
Welcome

I’ve found “most cables” require break in.  Each is time dependent, it depends on wire dielectric etc.  I’ve found that it’s normal 200+ hrs, but again it depends.  Gold, look out.

IMO If a cable does doesn’t change at all over time, you get what you got.

If you hear changes, which I like to call the wild and woolys, then just ride it out.  I’ve found those cables can end up being quite special.

My own personal recommendation is to not listen continuously expecting something to happen, but listen to the music you like…give it a break, then come back.

Again welcome to AC
Mark

edevlin

« Reply #11 on: 21 Jul 2023, 01:23 pm »
Yes, they do sound better to my ear after the mods,  :thumb:

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
« Reply #12 on: 26 Jul 2023, 04:39 am »
Please read the Starting Block Circle
GUIDELINES
I will merge these 3 topics you started.