Hi Folks!

settador

Hi Folks!
« on: 9 Jul 2023, 01:28 pm »
Hi everyone!

I found this community while looking for info re. Audio Concepts, Inc. (ACI) speakers. I found a thread where Mike Dzurko offered his remaining inventory to members here in 2014. I am not a very sophisticated sound electronics person, but I have a pretty cool system utilizing a pair of Sub-1s and Little Vs. Unfortunately, after 6 years of storage, the system has issues. In 1991 I had the skills to finish and assemble the speaker kits, and I can swap tubes and set the bias on my amps, but beyond that........

Glad you all are here. Please look for my coming questions!

Thanks, Dan

P.S. I snapped the attached picture of my old living room when my 31-year-old daughter was in HS. She played alto and tenor all through HS and college, and when she learned a new standard, well, she could hear it loud and clear! I am an art furniture maker and the piece in the corner on the Sub-1 was a college work of mine. The not-visible amps are a pair of ST-70s modified to bi-amplify the ACIs.

richidoo

Re: Hi Folks!
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jul 2023, 02:32 pm »
^ Real Book!  :thumb:

birdlives!

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 9 Jul 2023, 02:48 pm »
Welcome!

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 10 Jul 2023, 01:28 am »
Welcome to AC  :thumb:

settador

« Reply #4 on: 23 Aug 2023, 11:42 am »
Good morning!

Thanks for the warm welcome! I have had a crazy month+ getting so many things squared away moving back into my house I haven't logged back in here until now.

I isolated the various issues with my system, however, and I've made some changes. One of my ST-70s I was using to bi-amplify the ACIs has issues. It won't bias up and it hums, Tube swaps don't help, so I suspect it needs to be recapped. I rigged the other two amps (one of which uses one channel in triode mode for the LV and the other channel in ultra-linear for the Sub-1, and the third amp, which is set up in stereo triode mode to drive another set of satellite speakers), to test all four speakers. I've determined the drivers are done after 32 years, including 6 years of dormancy--when I press on them with my fingers, they feel stiff and make a crunchy sound. So, I decided to move on.

Fortunately, my hand-made, tube preamp is still a gem, and It now feeds a used but new-to-me Mac MC152, which drives a pair of Revel M106s. I think I'm happy with the new gear, and the 33-year-old REGA II with the 19-year-old Semiko Blue Point Special EVO III is still remarkable! Vinyl really is the best!

So, my question for the brain trust is this: What do I do with 3 heavily modified ST-70s (the front end boards are designed and made by Kevin Kennedy and utilize one 12ax7 and two 12Au7s), two Little Vs, and a pair of Sub-1s with crossovers modified for bi-amplification?

Thanks, Folks!

settador

« Reply #5 on: 24 Aug 2023, 06:27 pm »
Now that I've decided to move the three amps and ACIs out of my house, here's another question: Do you think I can find someone to buy all the pieces together? What do you think it's all worth? I see many ST-70s in various configurations and conditions on eBay, but I don't see them selling and mine are unusual. I saw some ACIs on audiogon, but I don't see them selling either. What do you think all this is actually worth?

Phil A

« Reply #6 on: 24 Aug 2023, 06:38 pm »
Look at hifishark.com.  You can filter by region (e.g. North America) and also see sold pieces (at least their asking price) and get a better idea of values.

settador

« Reply #7 on: 24 Aug 2023, 07:00 pm »
Thanks, Phil!