Exodus Acoustic Panels

Kevin P

• http://www.diycable.com
Exodus Acoustic Panels
« on: 25 Apr 2005, 10:17 pm »
We have been prototyping around with some acoustic panels.   We started out on this project not really thinking of providing a finished product but rather building some acoustical panels to take to shows.   After building a couple we thought it would be relatively easy to provide these in finished form.   We are working with Guilford of Maine for the acoustical fabric.   The FR701 is pretty much the standard in the industry.   Its available in a wide range of colors, it's acoustically transparent, environmentally friendly and looks fantastic.  

The base materials we are working with are 2'x4' rigid fiberglass panels so there is plenty of published data on their performance.   We use them without a frame to maximize exposed surface area (good for performance) and we designed a mounting system to vary the mounting standoff.   They can be mounted flush against the wall (worst performance) or with up to 3" of stand-off (best performance).   The weight per panel is only 5.5lbs so they are easy to hang.    Mounting them is not much different than hanging large picture frames.  

The panels would be sold in groups of six (in 2" thickness) or three panels (4" thickness).  Each 2" panel would cost $85 with any of the Guilford of Maine FR701 fabrics.  Each 4" panel would cost 105$ with any of the stock fabric choices.  There are 48 color choices in the FR701 sample pack so getting something that matches your interior is simple.   Guilford of Maine also will send product samples for free so you can see exactly what you are ordering.  

Here are a couple pictures from the first prototype.   You will notice that you don't get as clean as an edge as you would with a wood frame.   Part of this is due to the fact that this panel has been handled a LOT.  The fiberglass panel is all that is behind the fabric.     The pictures also exaggerate the effect.   In real life they look much smoother.   I wasn't real pleased with the pictures.

kfr01

Re: Exodus Acoustic Panels
« Reply #1 on: 25 Apr 2005, 11:21 pm »
Quote from: Kevin P
We have been prototyping around with some acoustic panels.   We started out on this project not really thinking of providing a finished product but rather building some acoustical panels to take to shows.   After building a couple we thought it would be relatively easy to provide these in finished form.   We are working with Guilford of Maine for the acoustical fabric.   The FR701 is pretty much the standard in the industry.   Its available in a wide range of colors, it's acoustically transparent, environme ...

Kevin, they look pretty good.  This is a product I am interested in.  Would you take a picture with another object in it or step back a few feet and take a picture?  It is difficult to get a sense of scale from these two.

Thanks

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Exodus Acoustic Panels
« Reply #2 on: 26 Apr 2005, 12:19 am »
Kevin,

How does this compare to similar products on the market?

Without a frame, how do you protect the fiberglass from being "squished" like in the picture?

George

Kevin P

Re: Exodus Acoustic Panels
« Reply #3 on: 26 Apr 2005, 01:58 am »
Quote from: kfr01
Kevin, they look pretty good.  This is a product I am interested in.  Would you take a picture with another object in it or step back a few feet and take a picture?  It is difficult to get a sense of scale from these two.

Thanks

Yes... there isn't anything to judge scale.   I'll try getting a picture with someone standing in front of them for scale.

I'm also going to play with the lighting and angle a little bit.   These pictures are pretty poor.   The panels look much better in the flesh.

Quote from: zybar
Kevin,

How does this compare to similar products on the market?

George

Performance wise they will perform the same, no better no worse, as any 3.0 pcf fiberglass material.   Basically do a Google Search on OC703 and you will get plenty of reading material.    I'll probably source some 6.0 pcf material for better low frequency absorption.   Cost would be about $15/panel more than the 3.0 pcf material.  

The thicker the panel the better the low frequency performance.   The 4" panels obviously eat up more of your room and spacing them off the wall more so.  

Quote from: zybar

Without a frame, how do you protect the fiberglass from being "squished" like in the picture?
George

The panels are not so much squished as they are not 100% perfect squares like you would have with a frame.  They are close though and when I get some better pictures you will see.    As I said above, the picture exagerates the effect.   In my room they look great.   I think that 95% of the people out there will be happy with the looks.  

People who want a perfectly dimensioned product will have to pay for something with frames.   We could build them, but the cost would go up and we would have to crate them for shipment.   I'd estimate it would at least double the price.  

A frame detracts somewhat from the performance also. You would be covering some of the exposed surface area which can only inhibit performance.   I don't have any data with or without frames to give you and I doubt we will get that anal.    I also doubt it makes that much of a difference.   We didn't use them because it added to the weight, increased the cost and shipping complexity.   I needed something that would look good yet be easy to ship for audio shows and this is the end result.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Exodus Acoustic Panels
« Reply #4 on: 26 Apr 2005, 02:08 am »
Thanks for the reply Kevin.

I think that these will sell well and I wish you the best of luck.

George

Kevin P

Exodus Acoustic Panels
« Reply #5 on: 26 Apr 2005, 04:47 pm »
I don't know if they will sell well or not but they perform great.   :)

They go along well with the new Exodus Speaker line.   I'm a strong believer in spending money where it counts and when your designing a system room acoustics are critical to getting the best results.

Kevin P

Exodus Acoustic Panels
« Reply #6 on: 30 Apr 2005, 01:16 am »
I tried to upload some more pictures but there is something wrong with my ftp server.  

Package pricing is going to look something like this:

$510 for six 2'x4'  2 inch panels in your choice of FR701 material.

$315 for three 2'x4' 4 inch panels in your choice of FR701 material.

You can get pretty good bass coverage in a typical 8'-8.5' high room with two 4' 4 inch panels in each corner.   If your space limited in the corners they can be mounted at the ceiling-wall interface.

The 2 inch panels are great for first reflection points along the walls & ceiling.   You can use 4 inch panels in these locations if you have the space and want more low frequency adsorption.    

There is a 10% discount for package prices over $1000

Lead time is going to be 2-5 weeks due to the need to source materials and the labor to build them.    Payment for all orders is 50% up front and the other 50% upon shipment.

Tubedude

The new acoustic panels
« Reply #7 on: 30 Apr 2005, 02:45 pm »
I was able to veiw the DIY Cable acoustic panels yesterday. They look very nice, better than the pictures. Kevin has all the many cloth "swatches" (spelling?) that they can be ordered in. I'm thinking high WAF here.
Hope to do a review in the next few months after we move.....Dan

Kevin P

Exodus Acoustic Panels
« Reply #8 on: 3 May 2005, 05:41 pm »
Dan,

Thanks for the feeback.   Finally got the ftp server working again.

For sense of scale here is Dail standing next to a panel.  

kfr01

Exodus Acoustic Panels
« Reply #9 on: 3 May 2005, 06:40 pm »
Kevin:  now how tall is Dail? Just kidding.  It looks great.  

Any chance of you reselling just the FR701?  For maximum WAF I'll probably be framing one up w/ rounded or angled edges.  I can order the FR701 elsewhere, but I'd like to support you, if possible.  A kit?

Kevin P

Exodus Acoustic Panels
« Reply #10 on: 4 May 2005, 01:23 am »
Dail is a midget I saved from the local circus.   He used to get shot out of a cannon until he suffered some minor brain damage.   :)

No really.... we are still working on the mounting methods.   All the work is in sewing up the FR701 to fit the panels and the mounting system.   The panels are your typical OC703 type material.   I'd be happy to source the FR701 for you.   Just go to Guilford of Maine's web site and they will send you samples for free.   Once you pick out a sample give me a call and we will hook you up.   Price is right around $15.50/yard as long as you pick one of the standard FR701s.    

We also have the panels if you need them.   If you have trouble finding a local supply we sell the panels by the box for $1.95/ft^2.  There are six panels per box (48 sq.ft).