Stylus Magazine On-Line Article: Are We Fools?

orthobiz

« on: 24 Apr 2005, 09:48 pm »
Sounds like they're dissing us...
And I've wasted thousands of dollars over the past year...

http://stylusmagazine.com/feature.php?ID=1580

"You’ll have to decide which format sounds “best”—Ogg Vorbis, MP3, MPC, FLAC or Apple’s AAC—but done right, it’s almost impossible to tell the difference between the files you’ll end up with and the CD you got them from. A recent gotcha pitted hi-line speaker manufacturer Wilson against a hundred or so tweaker audio enthusiasts who thought they were listening to a breakthrough in compact disc oversampling technology via the finest horns on earth. It was an MP3. Let it go, guys. We’re there. Look around, enjoy the view. "

biz

John Ashman

• http://forum.adnm.com
« Reply #1 on: 24 Apr 2005, 09:53 pm »
We may be easily fooled, but we're not fools for buying CD.  It is audibly better than compressed formats, but you wouldn't be able to tell in a different room and different system which format it is.

People used to fooled 30+ years ago when an crappy speaker was masquerading as a real symphony.  Today, we'd find that speaker to be obviously atrocious.  But it still fooled people, just as a magician does.  And that's what Dave Wilson did.  Pulled a magic trick.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 25 Apr 2005, 01:55 am »
Yeah, I agree.  I know several doofuses that copied all their CDs to HD then sold them, only to have the drive crash 6 months later and wipe out all their music. :o   D'oh! :x   Even if you listen from HD (and legality aside) you should always keep the original.  For added security, why not make a bit perfect copy of all your discs on Mitsui CD-Rs as an archival backup to your HD & CD collection?

EchiDna

« Reply #3 on: 25 Apr 2005, 09:40 am »
interesting link....

in the article it mentions this is "part 2"... but try as I might, I couldn't find part 1! got a link?

orthobiz

« Reply #4 on: 25 Apr 2005, 10:58 am »
I couldn't find a link to any Part 1 either.

biz