Is this an NX-otica?? Munich 2023

celebrat

Is this an NX-otica?? Munich 2023
« on: 21 May 2023, 01:13 am »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNXri2id0O4

Check out the white speaker in the background in this video at Munich. Can't tell for sure because it is not super clear, but it sure looks familiar.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: Is this an NX-otica?? Munich 2023
« Reply #1 on: 21 May 2023, 01:14 am »
NX-Treme.

celebrat

« Reply #2 on: 21 May 2023, 01:32 am »
Awesome. Who is exhibiting those world class speakers in the land of extreme prices??

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 21 May 2023, 01:47 am »
Awesome. Who is exhibiting those world class speakers in the land of extreme prices??

Those are his personal speakers. He covered the show but didn't exhibit.

celebrat

« Reply #4 on: 21 May 2023, 05:01 pm »
Too bad. Bet they could have kicked some butt in the cost no object category :lol:

Tyson

« Reply #5 on: 21 May 2023, 06:47 pm »
IME, both the NX-Otica and NX-Tremes are exceptional speakers that compete with (and usually beat) cost no object systems.  I'd say the NX-treme scales better and fills large spaces very well indeed.  The dynamics and sense of scale is world class.  They maintain real delicacy when the music calls for it which is something of a miracle.   The NX-Otica is great in these areas too, but not 'quite' as great as the NX-Tremes.  One area that the Oticas definitely 'win' is imaging and soundstaging.  For a large speaker system, the Otica's image and soundstage is the best I've ever heard. 

Glady86

« Reply #6 on: 22 May 2023, 04:02 am »
I've had the NX-Otica flat pack since the parts shortage back when Covid messed everything up. I'm finally considering ordering the parts. Is it worth the extra $800.00 for the fancy parts? Anyone built them with standard parts and latter changed for the more expensive parts?

Also, I already have two 15" Ultimax selead subwoofers that I've built. Will these be suitable? I realize the GR-RESEARCH open baffle are ideal.

celebrat

« Reply #7 on: 22 May 2023, 11:16 am »
I sat on the NXOtica flatpack for almost 3 years.  :duh: Finally had a friend (finish carpenter) help put them together for me. I had spent the extra for the high end parts so I don't know the standard variety. All I can say is it was big mistake to wait. The NXotica is an amazing speaker. If you don't like with your current subs change them afterwards. Build those badboys Glady86 you wont regret it.  :thumb:

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 22 May 2023, 03:17 pm »
When I built my first OB speakers, the Wedgies, I used a sealed sub for six months before I was able to build OB subs. The sealed subs worked, but going to the OB subs was a game changer.

Bottom line, as celebrat said, start with the subs you have but be prepared to add OB subs later.

Glady86

« Reply #9 on: 22 May 2023, 04:12 pm »
I sent an email to GR-Research for an invoice for the kit without the flatpack. Im going with the upgraded crossover parts. I'll use the speakers with my sealed subs and see how it goes. Eventually might upgrade to the servo open baffle subs.

Thanks for the replies.

Danny Richie

« Reply #10 on: 22 May 2023, 11:24 pm »
I sent an email to GR-Research for an invoice for the kit without the flatpack. Im going with the upgraded crossover parts. I'll use the speakers with my sealed subs and see how it goes. Eventually might upgrade to the servo open baffle subs.

Thanks for the replies.

We also need your address so we can quote the shipping cost.

allensound

« Reply #11 on: 13 Jun 2023, 06:50 pm »
I too have wanted to hear the opinion of someone who has heard both the "standard" parts vs the upgraded. 

Are the Oticas really better than the NX-Tremes in terms of imaging and soundstage?!  Making me wonder if I should go for those instead of the NX-Tremes...

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #12 on: 14 Jun 2023, 05:10 pm »
I too have wanted to hear the opinion of someone who has heard both the "standard" parts vs the upgraded. 

Are the Oticas really better than the NX-Tremes in terms of imaging and soundstage?!  Making me wonder if I should go for those instead of the NX-Tremes...

Assuming the same quality of crossover parts, the only real difference between the NX-Otica & NX-Treme is a bigger sense of vertical scale that the NX-Tremes provide.
in terms of imaging/soundstage they will otherwise be identical.
The NX-Tremes also have a bit faster & more effortless sounding bass, as the bass region is being handled by 8 woofers instead of 4.

There's more difference in base-level caps and coils vs fully-upgraded than differences between the NX-Otica and NX-Treme, which mainly provides better clarity, separation, & a wider, more open soundstage.

Tyson

« Reply #13 on: 14 Jun 2023, 06:38 pm »
I've had the NX-Otica flat pack since the parts shortage back when Covid messed everything up. I'm finally considering ordering the parts. Is it worth the extra $800.00 for the fancy parts? Anyone built them with standard parts and latter changed for the more expensive parts?

Also, I already have two 15" Ultimax selead subwoofers that I've built. Will these be suitable? I realize the GR-RESEARCH open baffle are ideal.

Go for the better quality parts.  ALL of the NX series benefit from the upgrade.