Right Channel Static Question

KTS

Right Channel Static Question
« on: 11 May 2023, 09:03 pm »
Good afternoon,
This is an odd issue that just started in my system, I am relatively new at this and am reaching out for advice. Yesterday I was listening to Natalie Merchant the song was Texas. I noticed I was getting some static during the dynamic parts of the song in the right speaker, I just thought it was a transient issue from the tube pre amp, but it would do the same thing every time during that section of song. It did not seem to happen on any other song. I listened to the song with earphones and in my car today no static, when I got home tried it again and had the same issue. I switched the speakers to be sure the neo3 was not the issue. The issue stayed on the right side, so I figured it was the amp, pre amp or source. I found another song that it had the same issue on Nora Jones turn me on. I switch from my iPhone running through a photo adaptor into the AresII usb to the CD player used as a transport through coax and played the song again and it was gone. Has anyone had this issue? It worked with no issues for months on the iPhone. Not sure where to go from here to correct, any ideas would be welcomed.

Thank you, Kelly

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: Right Channel Static Question
« Reply #1 on: 11 May 2023, 09:19 pm »
I've had this before, many times.  Best thing to do is check the system methodically to isolate the culprit. 

Start with the DAC, switch the left output of the DAC into the right input of the amp.  If the distortion moves then you know it''s the DAC.  If the distortion stays in the same speaker, you know its not the DAC. 

Next do the preamp - switch the left output of the preamp into the right input of the amp.  If the distortion moves, you know it's the preamp.  If the distortion stays in the same speaker, you know it's not the preamp.

Finally check the amp.  Hook the left speaker to the right side of the amp and the right speaker to the left side of the amp.  If the distortion moves you know it's the amp.  If it doesn't move, you know it's not the amp.

It's important to go in the order I outlined - DAC first, preamp second, amp last.

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #2 on: 11 May 2023, 09:25 pm »
If playing on Foobar, you can also reverse stereo channels to see if it's the source material input into the dac. Maybe your gear is telling you it's had enough of playing female vocals...  :lol:

KTS

« Reply #3 on: 11 May 2023, 09:54 pm »
If playing on Foobar, you can also reverse stereo channels to see if it's the source material input into the dac. Maybe your gear is telling you it's had enough of playing female vocals...  :lol:

Touché you’re probably right!! Lol

KTS

« Reply #4 on: 11 May 2023, 09:55 pm »
I've had this before, many times.  Best thing to do is check the system methodically to isolate the culprit. 

Start with the DAC, switch the left output of the DAC into the right input of the amp.  If the distortion moves then you know it''s the DAC.  If the distortion stays in the same speaker, you know its not the DAC. 

Next do the preamp - switch the left output of the preamp into the right input of the amp.  If the distortion moves, you know it's the preamp.  If the distortion stays in the same speaker, you know it's not the preamp.

Finally check the amp.  Hook the left speaker to the right side of the amp and the right speaker to the left side of the amp.  If the distortion moves you know it's the amp.  If it doesn't move, you know it's not the amp.

It's important to go in the order I outlined - DAC first, preamp second, amp last.

Understood, thank you for the sequence and advice!

Kelly

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 11 May 2023, 10:03 pm »
I switch from my iPhone running through a photo adaptor into the AresII usb to the CD player used as a transport through coax and played the song again and it was gone.

This sounds like a clue of where to start looking IMO.
I suspect it may be an issue with the USB cable (or the adapter) used between your iPhone and the Ares II.

If the issue is being caused there, swapping the channels like Tyson suggested will only give false positives, and the issue will switch speakers with every channel swap down the chain, essentially chasing your own tail trying to find the issue.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #6 on: 11 May 2023, 10:48 pm »
I suspect it may be an issue with the USB cable (or the adapter) used between your iPhone and the Ares II.

If the issue is being caused there, swapping the channels like Tyson suggested will only give false positives, and the issue will switch speakers with every channel swap down the chain, essentially chasing your own tail trying to find the issue.

I agree, it could be the cabling too.  My usual method is to check all the gear first, and if it's not the DAC, preamp or amp, then it's likely a cable and time to start swapping in new cabling.

KTS

« Reply #7 on: 11 May 2023, 11:25 pm »
I agree, it could be the cabling too.  My usual method is to check all the gear first, and if it's not the DAC, preamp or amp, then it's likely a cable and time to start swapping in new cabling.

It’s definitely the usb on the DAC, my phone jack or the adaptor, I swapped the cable out and everything was complete static so what ever was failing has failed, I am getting a new adapter to test as well as getting the jack on the phone cleaned before I send the DAC back for repair. Thank you all for the help, the CD’s sound awesome no issues at all.

richidoo

« Reply #8 on: 12 May 2023, 02:30 am »
iPhone Lightning socket is notorious for getting dirty. It lives in pockets full of lint and moisture. Pick out the lint with toothpick, and clean all the contacts in the usb chain. It is easy to damage it so review "how to safely clean lightning jack" articles before diving in. goodluck!

KTS

« Reply #9 on: 13 May 2023, 12:21 am »

It was the adapter, disaster averted! Thank you for the advice everyone, much appreciated!