NXotica Which Sides in the middle??

celebrat

NXotica Which Sides in the middle??
« on: 28 Apr 2023, 10:27 am »
I am going to set up my NXoticas again and I don't remember  :duh: whether the long wall sides go on the outside or the inside. Please help. Thanks in advance.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
Re: NXotica Which Sides in the middle??
« Reply #1 on: 28 Apr 2023, 10:38 am »
Inside

celebrat

« Reply #2 on: 28 Apr 2023, 11:25 am »
Thanks Mike :D

350Industrial

« Reply #3 on: 28 Apr 2023, 01:53 pm »
Smaller flaps on the outside, bigger flaps on the inside....  :o :lol:

celebrat

« Reply #4 on: 28 Apr 2023, 03:01 pm »
OK everyone. I am embarassed to say that I have set up the NXoticas wrong from the start.  :nono: The difference is not small. In fact it is kind of downright amazing. A simple but but huge change... mostly with imaging and 3d soundstage, but bass too. I have been playing with my Omega SHO Alnico monitors. They are great speakers. I originally thought they were comparable to the NXoticas as I used the OB subs with both sets of speakers. I still like the Omegas. They are a very good speaker. However the NXoticas are a very great speaker. Sorry Louis and thanks Danny. The Oticas are in my main room for good.  :angel:

NoahH

« Reply #5 on: 5 May 2023, 02:54 pm »
This begs a question I have asked but never quite gotten an answer for.

What is the mental model of what we want to have happen to the sound coming from the sides and back of OB speakers? I.e. is the ideal that it all disappeared, so diffusion and absorption on those reflection points is the right model as it is with box speakers, or is there some level of desired reflection in the OB design?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #6 on: 5 May 2023, 03:14 pm »
I recommend absorption for whatever wall they are closet to and diffusion for whatever wall they are farthest from.