DAKSA demand?

aurelius

DAKSA demand?
« on: 23 Apr 2005, 12:40 am »
Hi all,

In Hugh's latest news update (APRIL 2005), he questions the commerciality of the DAKSA given the cost of component sourcing.  

I just wanted to state that if the price is right (say $1500 +/- $300 AUD) [Edit: actual price is approx. $1200AUD or $950 US for the all-features option... see below] and if it lives up to its promise (which is to say, if Hugh is happy to release it - I have built up inherent trust) I for one am willing to committ to a purchase in Q3, 2005 and if required, would put down a deposit against such a committment.

If enough interest is not garnered, I would be more than willing to pay for the board and IP (the Linkwitz model) and source the components myself, but I think it would be better if Hugh was able to sell the full kits.

Anyone else willing to put their mouth where their  money is?

AKSA

DAKSA demand?
« Reply #1 on: 23 Apr 2005, 12:49 am »
Markus,

Why, Sir, thank you!  This is very heartening!!

Cheers,

Hugh

Figo

DAKSA demand?
« Reply #2 on: 23 Apr 2005, 02:42 am »
I have been dreaming about the DAKSA since it was first mentioned..

PLEASE CONTINUE!  full kit, boards, or even just schematics!

:)

PT914

DAKSA demand?
« Reply #3 on: 23 Apr 2005, 06:17 am »
Hi,

You can count me in.  I find so much more pleasure in listening to my system now the that Hugh's GK-1R and amps are in the musical chain, can't image it could get better, but always looking for improvement.  Guess I have the diy bug.

Philip

mb

DAKSA demand?
« Reply #4 on: 23 Apr 2005, 07:34 am »
I've been in communication with Hugh regarding DAKSA on and off for a long time, and I always saw it as a project that was fraught with issues (at one time the proposed size of the pcb was scary).

What project(s) would be brought forward if DAKSA was scrapped? How much of a burden would DAKSA be is only XX units were sold? I frankly believe that the window is closing, and that those of use hankering for really high end digital DIY should be looking at a project modding the Benchmark DAC? Of course if there's enough interest, I would be carefully considering an order to Hugh, but the pricing is just beyond a 'sure buy'.

AKSA

DAKSA demand?
« Reply #5 on: 23 Apr 2005, 09:40 am »
Hmmm.

The pricing is as before;  $US700, $800 and $950 for the three levels of functionality.  I'll detail this on the website a little later;  it's complicated.

It certainly isn't $1500, as Markus has intimated!!

Any projects which the DAKSA might otherwise absorb will be retail products, rather than DIY, so I guess this issue doesn't arise......

Cheers,

Hugh

econ

DAKSA demand?
« Reply #6 on: 23 Apr 2005, 10:53 am »
I'm also happy to advance a deposit.

bearddavid

DAKSA demand?
« Reply #7 on: 23 Apr 2005, 11:49 am »
If the cost can be contained below USD 1000 and the build isn't too difficult, I'm pretty much sure I would purchase during the balance of 2005.

(mind you the pressure of having just 19 days to go for a GK1-R could impact that)

cheers

Dave

PSP

count me in
« Reply #8 on: 23 Apr 2005, 02:55 pm »
Hi Hugh,
I've built three 55Ns, a 100, added N+ to one of the 55's, built a TLPN, and a GK-1R.  For every one of these amps and upgrades, Hugh has promised and then delivered phenomenal sound (and great enjoyment) to me and my family.

When Hugh is happy with the way the DAKSA sounds and is ready to ship, I will order a DAKSA, at least at the entry level (how far up the food chain I'll go depends on added features, my needs, and complexity).

Take care,
Peter

aurelius

DAKSA demand?
« Reply #9 on: 23 Apr 2005, 10:37 pm »
OK... up to 6 and a maybe.

If the DAKSA is launched, I will buy and build one for my younger brother for christmas... he is doing the FLAC and squeezebox thang too...

(Ultimately, I should be able to convince him to get a GK1 & stereo 100W N+ as well; maybe with a SEAS/Madisound thor or a NCMS Vision Signature)

So we are now at 7 and a maybe...

Still a ways to go!

Grumpy_Git

Daksa
« Reply #10 on: 25 Apr 2005, 07:35 am »
Hugh,

Three to four hundred English notes is definitely out of my "Screw it I want one" range but I'm sure a few less pints and then a small raid on the savings could be justified.

The only real reason I'm hesitant about saying yes is the intimation that this will be a hell of a soldering job, this could end up in a lot of support and returns for your customers if they arent as careful as you.

...... Maybe number 2......

Nick.

Grumpy_Git

DAKSA
« Reply #11 on: 25 Apr 2005, 01:11 pm »
Hugh,

if this never makes it into production, I want first option on one of the test models you are considering producing.

remember, you saw it here first...

Nick.

doug s.

• makin' music
DAKSA demand?
« Reply #12 on: 25 Apr 2005, 06:25 pm »
hugh,

you mention the possibility of selling this complete, due to difficulty of assembly...  any pricing info?  also, perhaps you would consider selling a kit w/only the most difficult work (ie: smd's, etc.) awreddy installed...

regards,

doug s.

AKSA

DAKSA demand?
« Reply #13 on: 25 Apr 2005, 09:52 pm »
Folks,

Thank you for the confidence boosters.  I see a market emerging here.  This is, of course, crucial.

Doug,

NO SMDs!!  This was our rule when we started out......  As for assembling them ourselves, I have to say it's probably not economic.  If we do assembly, then we might as well go the whole hog, fit the pcb to a case, and sell it retail.  And there is the issue of what it would cost to assemble (and test!) each pcb.  I'd guess at around 20 hours for a pcb, that's a long time, and a lot of labor, even at $AUD40 an hour.  For the DIYer, this is a crippling oncost.

Cheers,

Hugh

Seano

DAKSA demand?
« Reply #14 on: 25 Apr 2005, 11:35 pm »
I'm certainly up for a DAKSA. Which version I pick depends on the funtionality I need but if I can get the DAKSA and a new NAD CD player for around AU$1,500 then I'll be a happy man.

And the only functionality I reckon I need is to have the CD player turn on when I turn on the DAC.  Oh and the DAC should work too :oops:

Especially since a grand and a half in Oz gets you into the range of a Rega Planet and Hugh/Tinker reckon they can do as well if not better than this.......

I'd be sold!

RonR

DAKSA demand?
« Reply #15 on: 26 Apr 2005, 07:34 am »
Hugh,

I'd like to add my name to the list of potential DAKSA owners.

If it performs anywhere near the standard of the other AKSA gear we're in for a treat! :P

Cheers,

Ron.

Greg Erskine

DAKSA demand?
« Reply #16 on: 26 Apr 2005, 07:50 am »
I don't know why Hugh doesn't setup a automatic debit from my account to pay for my ASPEN gear.  :P

No doubt I'd buy a DASKA if it works as advertised. I've been holding off buying a proper CD player.

What would a suitable transport be and how much?

Thanks
Greg

AKSA

DAKSA demand?
« Reply #17 on: 26 Apr 2005, 12:08 pm »
Greg,

High praise indeed - my God, am I a 'populist'?  I hope not...... :o    :lol:

The DAKSA is a reclocking, buffered DAC.  This means that technically the transport won't make a difference to the sonics, as jitter will be set by the master clock in the DAC rather than by the lousy clock on the transport.  However, pigs fly too, so in practice it's reasonable to suppose that the transport will matter, but not too much.

I would use a halfway competent CD player for the DAKSA, not a $50 cheapie, and the results should be phenomenal.

I'll naturally keep everyone here posted on the results of our prototype test.  I'm pretty upbeat about this technology, largely because the digital trickery is all Ben's, and there is no false modesty...... :mrgreen:

Cheers,

Hugh

Tinker

• http://web.access.net.au/~bwilliam/macam
DAKSA demand?
« Reply #18 on: 26 Apr 2005, 12:36 pm »
Quote from: AKSA

I would use a halfway competent CD player for the DAKSA, not a $50 cheapie, a ...

I should also add the the player needs a digital out. The DAKSA design is built around the electronic coaxial SPDIF format which uses what looks like an RCA plug with a 75R impedence.
You could modify it at your own risk to use optical SPDIF, but I wouldn't recommend it. The coax format has much to recommend it.

Cheers,
    T.

Seano

DAKSA demand?
« Reply #19 on: 26 Apr 2005, 11:20 pm »
Quote from: AKSA
I would use a halfway competent CD player for the DAKSA, not a $50 cheapie

Can one still buy a $50 cheapie CD player? Could one ever in the first place?

One of my lifes little mysteries has been the curiousity of a $75 DVD player and yet it appears to be virtually impossible to get a CD player under $200.

I'm not sure that a NAD player at about $400 Oz qualifies as a cheap player.....

Bring it on, Hugh.