NX Studio and Double Trouble Build

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: NX Studio and Double Trouble Build
« Reply #40 on: 9 Jun 2023, 11:37 pm »
I'd like to see measurements of that?? A lot of prominent speaker designs have side firing woofers, i'm not saying that it isn't so i'd just like to see the data.

Don

Box speakers are not like that, you can move to the side and no loss of bass.  But OB there's a substantial drop off to the side.  If you own OB speakers, you can easily hear/feel it when you walk by them. 

Just google 'figure 8 radiation pattern open baffle' and you will find some interesting stuff.

KTS

« Reply #41 on: 10 Jun 2023, 12:04 am »

It seems kind of natural to place the subs like that but maybe someone could comment on how the bass could be affected by trying rotating the subs?

Amazing job on the speakers! So cool!

Thank you! It was a fun build.
I have moved the subs around and where they are positioned in the picture works well in my room. I have also moved my seating position around per a suggestion from Tyson and that impacted the output level. The sub’s really image very well and are accurate, best I have ever owned.

Kelly

Endo2112

• Particularist
« Reply #42 on: 10 Jun 2023, 04:05 am »
Would still love to see the data from the listening position, saying it's so, and seeing it is so are completely different.

Don

KTS

« Reply #43 on: 10 Jun 2023, 10:01 am »
Would still love to see the data from the listening position, saying it's so, and seeing it is so are completely different.

Don

I do not have or have the ability to get data, but I understand the ask. Maybe someone has the info available or has the ability to measure. I am pretty archaic and rely on seeing with my ears at this point. Lol

Thank you, Kelly

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
« Reply #44 on: 10 Jun 2023, 03:18 pm »

Don

Open baffle subs are a  Dipole: You can "see" it modeled here...
["Boxed" subs are Monopole]
https://www.acs.psu.edu/drussell/demos/rad2/mdq.html

Does that help?

A

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #45 on: 10 Jun 2023, 06:17 pm »
Open baffle subs are a  Dipole: You can "see" it modeled here...
["Boxed" subs are Monopole]
https://www.acs.psu.edu/drussell/demos/rad2/mdq.html

Does that help?

A

Also, Linkwitz shows the practical application in loudspeakers and some of the things needed to make OB work well, here:

https://www.linkwitzlab.com/models.htm

TRADERXFAN

• GALLERY
« Reply #46 on: 10 Jun 2023, 10:51 pm »
And this was another Linkwitz point on position -- put the woofers near the sidewalls and angle them...

"A dipole woofer should be placed near the side walls, provided the distance from woofer to listener is nearly the same as that from the midrange. Again, most likely practical limitations will have to guide best dipole speaker placement for room modes as well as for first reflections off room boundaries"
https://www.linkwitzlab.com/faq.htm#Q31

This is a good suggestion... you wan them  "pointed at the listening position" but nearer the sidewalls is not a bad idea - equidistant to the midrange.

It seems kind of natural to place the subs like that but maybe someone could comment on how the bass could be affected by trying rotating the subs?

Amazing job on the speakers! So cool!

This was another interesting comment, buried in that same FAQ:

"by angling the dipole its coupling to specific modes can be changed"

Which is why i think he suggested angling them.
« Last Edit: 11 Jun 2023, 07:02 pm by TRADERXFAN »

KTS

« Reply #47 on: 12 Jun 2023, 02:17 am »
And this was another Linkwitz point on position -- put the woofers near the sidewalls and angle them...

"A dipole woofer should be placed near the side walls, provided the distance from woofer to listener is nearly the same as that from the midrange. Again, most likely practical limitations will have to guide best dipole speaker placement for room modes as well as for first reflections off room boundaries"
https://www.linkwitzlab.com/faq.htm#Q31

This is a good suggestion... you wan them  "pointed at the listening position" but nearer the sidewalls is not a bad idea - equidistant to the midrange.

This was another interesting comment, buried in that same FAQ:

"by angling the dipole its coupling to specific modes can be changed"

Which is why i think he suggested angling them.

I will give it a shot when I get back home, I did angle them when I was trying to find the best position for the subs, but I probably did not give it it’s due diligence, it sounded like it decreased output and the soundstage was off in comparison to keeping them forward. The data says it could make a difference, so I will  try it again, for a longer period of time and l report back.

Thank you,
Kelly,

TRADERXFAN

• GALLERY
« Reply #48 on: 12 Jun 2023, 02:42 pm »
Well not sure where the listening position is. But you will want them "pointed at" your listening position, generally speaking.

I was just mentioning how "angling" has a benefit.

So if you were to have them positioned separate from the monitors, then you could try putting them near the side walls and angling toward you - but same distance from them as the monitors... in an arc.

Maybe not great for your specific case, but for someone else's this might be useful info.

-Tony