Capacitor upgrade for NX-Treme’s

e_biz80

Capacitor upgrade for NX-Treme’s
« on: 9 Apr 2023, 08:21 am »
Hi all, it’s been a while since I’ve posted here and still throughly enjoys my NX-Treme’s. Been wondering if any of you have upgraded from Sonicaps to something else? I recently upgraded another pair of speakers from Solen cap to Jantzen Supirior Z caps and really like results. Basically asking if the Jantzen will be an upgrade over the sonicaps? Also, what have you guys used to upgrade over the Sonicaps?

Early B.

Re: Capacitor upgrade for NX-Treme’s
« Reply #1 on: 9 Apr 2023, 01:09 pm »
Basically asking if the Jantzen will be an upgrade over the sonicaps?

Yes, definitely. Miflex KPCU is even better, but larger and costs more. Bypass them with high-end 0.1uF caps -- lots of options available. 

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 9 Apr 2023, 01:43 pm »
Yes, definitely. Miflex KPCU is even better, but larger and costs more. Bypass them with high-end 0.1uF caps -- lots of options available.
Thankfully, they come in 250V versions, which tend to be a little smaller/cheaper than the standard 600V options.

The Jantzen caps will likely be more of a side-grade rather than an upgrade to Somicaps, but that's not uncommon at the higher end, with each brand offering different aspects, that will suit different tastes.

It's especially true when working with the mofe expensive film/paper and foil capacitors.

A lot of people tend to go one of two ways, especially with the tweeter cap, Miflex KPCU or VCap ODAM.

If you want a smoother, richer presentation with a very wide soundstage, then go for the Miflex caps.

If you want more precision and focus, with a better sense of depth and layering, go for the V-Caps.

You can also attenuate the sound of the main caps using bypass caps.
Danny's NX-Treme use a Miflex cap bypassed with a Gen 3 Sonicap, which improves clarity and focus, while maintaining the wide soundstage and richness they offer.

Many who go the V-Cap route recommend the 0.01uF JDM silver bypass, which will further improve clarity, but may be bright or hard sounding to some, especially on a more revealing system.
A 0.1uF JDM copper or Miflex bypass, are also options to add a bit of smoothness to the tone.

e_biz80

« Reply #3 on: 15 Apr 2023, 10:30 am »
Well I went ahead and changed the caps to Jantzen’s. Used the silver z-caps for all the smaller values and the standard z-cap with silver z-caps as bypass for the two large value caps. I immediately noticed the difference in the sound. It’s a lot more focused and cleaner sounding. There’s also a wider and deeper soundstage with more air between instruments. Definitely more 3d sounding. Overall the Sonicaps sounded more strained and grainy sounding. Sounds like I have new speakers again. Glad I decided to do this.

Early B.

« Reply #4 on: 15 Apr 2023, 04:10 pm »
Well I went ahead and changed the caps to Jantzen’s. Used the silver z-caps for all the smaller values and the standard z-cap with silver z-caps as bypass for the two large value caps. I immediately noticed the difference in the sound. It’s a lot more focused and cleaner sounding. There’s also a wider and deeper soundstage with more air between instruments. Definitely more 3d sounding. Overall the Sonicaps sounded more strained and grainy sounding. Sounds like I have new speakers again. Glad I decided to do this.

Glad you got great results. Yeah, It's amazing how much difference a cap upgrade can make. When I added bypass caps recently, it transformed the sound. Now my speakers sound like I knew they were capable of performing. 

Rock Ball

« Reply #5 on: 29 Apr 2023, 03:02 pm »
Hobbs,

Can we order the crossover upgrade components from GR Research?

As with other speaker upgrade kits, do you have an NX-Tremes crossover upgrade kit?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 29 Apr 2023, 03:29 pm »
Not for anything beyond the upgrades we already offer on the site, no, we don't currently offer a lot of variety outside of that.

For other components you will likely need to get them from soniccraft or partsconnexion, depending on what you're looking for.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #7 on: 29 Apr 2023, 05:20 pm »
Miflex are the best cap I've used with the GR Research speakers, if you can afford it, the go for it.  Recently I found another cap that I like almost as much and for a lot less $$.  The Jantzen Alumen-Z cap.  It has a large amount of detail like the Vcap ODAMs, and a touch of warmth (but not as full bodied as the Miflex).  Alumen-Z is a great cap, regardless of price.