MQA - Chapter 11

whydontumarryit

• Restricted
Re: MQA - Chapter 11
« Reply #40 on: 13 Apr 2023, 03:54 am »
Troll?  Bryston DACs decode lossless, non-proprietary formats; MQA is not one of these.

The AK4399 dac has MQA available. Just in case someone guessed wrong. :)

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #41 on: 13 Apr 2023, 11:27 am »
No guess on our part - it was a solution looking for a problem from day 1.

james

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #42 on: 13 Apr 2023, 04:51 pm »

james

Agree. All about the money IMHO.

charles

gbaby

« Reply #43 on: 13 Apr 2023, 09:05 pm »
  Agree. All about the money IMHO.

charles

And Stevie Wonder can see that too. :lol:

mav52

« Reply #44 on: 14 Apr 2023, 01:15 pm »

james

So very true, and still some of those magazine writers and editors still push the notion of how great MQA is.  Makes a person wonder what they got in return to make statements on how superior MQA is vs hi-rez or even 44.1.

gbaby

« Reply #45 on: 14 Apr 2023, 01:37 pm »
So very true, and still some of those magazine writers and editors still push the notion of how great MQA is.  Makes a person wonder what they got in return to make statements on how superior MQA is vs hi-rez or even 44.1.

I guess I won't be renewing my subscription to Stereophile. That publication has zero objectivity, and promoted MQA heavily.  :o Besides, the fonts are so small I can't even read it without magnifying glasses.

rbbert

« Reply #46 on: 14 Apr 2023, 01:48 pm »
I guess I won't be renewing my subscription to Stereophile. That publication has zero objectivity, and promoted MQA heavily.  :o Besides, the fonts are so small I can't even read it without magnifying glasses.

This would more properly apply to The Absolute Sound.  Not that Stereophile hasn't also inappropriately promoted MQA, but it does have significantly more objectivity than TAS; virtually every equipment review has extensive objective testing performed by John Atkinson.

jjss49

« Reply #47 on: 14 Apr 2023, 03:09 pm »
This would more properly apply to The Absolute Sound.  Not that Stereophile hasn't also inappropriately promoted MQA, but it does have significantly more objectivity than TAS; virtually every equipment review has extensive objective testing performed by John Atkinson.

i agree with this

tas is seriously 'whored out' to paying industry players these days... stereophile has much higher journalistic standards despite also being a commercially driven magazine

tas is really a sad shadow of what it was... it exists today only in name, cannot be trusted in the least, in my view, read it for entertainment only but don't make any buying decisions based on what their people say  ... it is unfortunately hardly the legit high end audio pioneering publication we all remember it being

rbbert

« Reply #48 on: 14 Apr 2023, 03:42 pm »
Yup, what he said

SlushPuppy

« Reply #49 on: 14 Apr 2023, 03:50 pm »
i agree with this

tas is seriously 'whored out' to paying industry players these days... stereophile has much higher journalistic standards despite also being a commercially driven magazine

tas is really a sad shadow of what it was... it exists today only in name, cannot be trusted in the least, in my view, read it for entertainment only but don't make any buying decisions based on what their people say  ... it is unfortunately hardly the legit high end audio pioneering publication we all remember it being

The YouTube videos of the 150 year old Galapagos Giant Tortoise named Tom Martin talking about stereo equipment are more painful than a hemorrhoidectomy. Shows how completely out of touch they are with the modern music lover/audiophile. Their website is as dead as their audience. RIP.....

gbaby

« Reply #50 on: 14 Apr 2023, 03:51 pm »
I agree with both of you, rbbert and jjs49.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #51 on: 14 Apr 2023, 03:59 pm »
So I guess my mantra - "THE DEMO IS EVERYTHING" has stood the test of time  :icon_lol:

james

rbbert

« Reply #52 on: 14 Apr 2023, 04:13 pm »
The YouTube videos of the 150 year old Galapagos Giant Tortoise named Tom Martin talking about stereo equipment are more painful than a hemorrhoidectomy. Shows how completely out of touch they are with the modern music lover/audiophile. Their website is as dead as their audience. RIP.....

Unfortunately this is wishful thinking on our part.  TAS' influence on the industry in general continues to be huge.  The YouTube channel is too new to call it dead

SlushPuppy

« Reply #53 on: 14 Apr 2023, 04:47 pm »
Unfortunately this is wishful thinking on our part.  TAS' influence on the industry in general continues to be huge.  The YouTube channel is too new to call it dead

gbaby

« Reply #54 on: 14 Apr 2023, 06:31 pm »
So I guess my mantra - "THE DEMO IS EVERYTHING" has stood the test of time  :icon_lol:

james

Yes it has.

whydontumarryit

• Restricted
« Reply #55 on: 14 Apr 2023, 07:16 pm »

Not just AKM, ESS  chips support MQA as does the RIAA, AS, Stereophile and many others so not an obvious swindle to them. On the other hand, Linn, Shiit, Bryston, reviewers Miska and Archimago easily knew the drawbacks and some went so far as to document it with objective measurements years ago.

This MQA mess is a good thing. An opportunity to find out who is believable and who isn't in the industry. It's good for Tidal because now they can stream hires flac instead of MQA and save bandwidth to boot. :) It could be bad for Block the parent company (they make the Square payment processing system) if anyone is paying attention.

Are the online review sites mostly to blame? Hardly, if you are a fan blame yourself for not being able to put things in perspective when reading subjective evaluations if any sense can be made of them to begin with. As an example, here is Robert Shryer's descriptions of what he heard at the Montreal show. Systems from 5k to half a million. You tell me which is which from this useless drivel:

fluid, seamless, deep-hued, textured, and layered in air currents—air seemed palpabe in the front of and behind the instruments. The soundstage was vast and seemed microscopically energised with tactile musical information.

the soundstage blew open like a high-resolution hologram, contoured images placed solidly in space. The presentation brimmed with information delivered in a confident, coherent, tactile, effortless, refined manner.

the sound was engaging: rhythmic, real-life organic, texturally refined, with a tonal palette that walked the line almost dead center between natural and sweet.

This system delivered sound so pure and inviting, I felt helplessly compelled to hang on to every detail. It sucked me in as way few systems can.

exhibited liquid momentum, extended dynamics, life-sized images, explicitly rendered vocals, a fascinating sense of the energy of notes being expulsed into the air, and a deep, layered soundstage.

sublime, sweet and sophisticated, with levels of touch, microdynamics, texture, color, veracity, and musical rightness.

The system produced a bulging, tangible, well-sorted, music-charged soundfield filled with luxuriant detail.

organic, sweet, richly textured, and tonally pure, providing luscious, natural vocals and an entrancing sense of easy musicality.

a transparent, tactile presentation with a refined, airy, bouncy, sweet, detailed character. It sounded sumptuous, effortless, and musical.

how coherent the sound seemed within the large soundstage across the whole range of frequencies, low to high. Voices and instruments sounded steady, full, and explicit with a tactile presence.

C'mon, man.

WGH

« Reply #56 on: 14 Apr 2023, 07:31 pm »

MQA technology was always a few years behind the times, if it came out in 2005 when average internet speed was 1Mbps it would have been a hit but when MQA was released in 2014 the average speed was 10 times faster and getting faster every year after that.

It wasn't just Stereophile jumping on the bandwagon. I was surprised to see 2L on the list, they are one of the premiere recording studios and I have recordings by them in native DSD256.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_Quality_Authenticated

Robert Harley, editor of The Absolute Sound stated in March 2016 that MQA "will forever change the way we and future generations consider digital audio".

John Atkinson, editor of Stereophile stated the following about the launch of MQA in December 2014 "In almost 40 years of attending audio press events, only rarely have I come away feeling that I was present at the birth of a new world."

In the 2L Records 2015 announcement of an MQA remastered release of piano recordings, company owner Morten Lindberg stated "I have spent many hours with Bob listening to original recordings and being constantly amazed by the incredible sense of space and clarity brought by MQA", in comparison to the drawbacks and weaknesses of the early digital technology originally used for the recordings.

In the Atlantic Records announcement that it would sell records using the MQA format, CEO Craig Kallman stated in May 2016 that "MQA makes high-resolution music easy to stream or download to any device. Music fans will love it when they hear it, and WMG is thrilled to be partnering with MQA to take the next step in bringing hi-res music to consumers around the globe". Similarly, when Universal Music Group announced in February 2017 that they would be selling songs in MQA format, company executive Michael Nash stated "with MQA, we are working with a partner whose technology is among the best solutions for streaming high-res audio, and one that doesn’t ask music fans to compromise on sound quality for convenience".

The Absolute Sound is still going strong. I must have clicked on enough TAS and hi-fi+ links and entered contests to qualify for a free monthly online subscription. I last time I paid for TAS was in 1983.

"Thank you for being a loyal reader and newsletter subscriber. As a token of our appreciation click the cover page below to enjoy your free copy of the latest issue of TAS compliments of hi-fi+!"

Stereophile's readers are getting (much) older, maybe they should start offering the option to subscribe to a bigger font issue, like books I read in 1st grade.

gbaby

« Reply #57 on: 14 Apr 2023, 08:16 pm »

Not just AKM, ESS  chips support MQA as does the RIAA, AS, Stereophile and many others so not an obvious swindle to them. On the other hand, Linn, Shiit, Bryston, reviewers Miska and Archimago easily knew the drawbacks and some went so far as to document it with objective measurements years ago.

This MQA mess is a good thing. An opportunity to find out who is believable and who isn't in the industry. It's good for Tidal because now they can stream hires flac instead of MQA and save bandwidth to boot. :) It could be bad for Block the parent company (they make the Square payment processing system) if anyone is paying attention.

Are the online review sites mostly to blame? Hardly, if you are a fan blame yourself for not being able to put things in perspective when reading subjective evaluations if any sense can be made of them to begin with. As an example, here is Robert Shryer's descriptions of what he heard at the Montreal show. Systems from 5k to half a million. You tell me which is which from this useless drivel:

fluid, seamless, deep-hued, textured, and layered in air currents—air seemed palpabe in the front of and behind the instruments. The soundstage was vast and seemed microscopically energised with tactile musical information.

the soundstage blew open like a high-resolution hologram, contoured images placed solidly in space. The presentation brimmed with information delivered in a confident, coherent, tactile, effortless, refined manner.

the sound was engaging: rhythmic, real-life organic, texturally refined, with a tonal palette that walked the line almost dead center between natural and sweet.

This system delivered sound so pure and inviting, I felt helplessly compelled to hang on to every detail. It sucked me in as way few systems can.

exhibited liquid momentum, extended dynamics, life-sized images, explicitly rendered vocals, a fascinating sense of the energy of notes being expulsed into the air, and a deep, layered soundstage.

sublime, sweet and sophisticated, with levels of touch, microdynamics, texture, color, veracity, and musical rightness.

The system produced a bulging, tangible, well-sorted, music-charged soundfield filled with luxuriant detail.

organic, sweet, richly textured, and tonally pure, providing luscious, natural vocals and an entrancing sense of easy musicality.

a transparent, tactile presentation with a refined, airy, bouncy, sweet, detailed character. It sounded sumptuous, effortless, and musical.

how coherent the sound seemed within the large soundstage across the whole range of frequencies, low to high. Voices and instruments sounded steady, full, and explicit with a tactile presence.

C'mon, man.

Nice post. 8)

Another nice post.  8) One thing I dislike about Stereophile and TAS is their articles not only have small fonts, but you have to read too much fluff to get to the point of the article. If you want to become a wordsmith then maybe they make good reading. Me, I prefer succinctness as time is money. I guess the magazine companies as well as the record industry was on the take buying into MQA. I guess the record company felt they could make more money by remastering their catalogs in MQA, and charge more money. At this stage in my life, the only company I trust is Bryston. I have never been deceived by anyone in this company.

newzooreview

« Reply #58 on: 14 Apr 2023, 08:34 pm »
The post saying that AKM and ESS chips "support" MQA seems to tell half the story. I've owned DACs using the most recent AKM and ESS chips, and they did not support MQA because the manufacturers did not pay the license fee to allow that.

I don't know if AKM or ESS had to spend money to make their chips capable of dealing with MQA, but the companies making DACs certainly had to pay money to license the various levels of decoding.

Even if those licensing costs amounted to $10 per device, we still paid for it.

Yeah, with enough money behind something, it can take a while for the chorus of shills to recede and reality to set in. For MQA that seems to have taken six years (counting from the launch with Tidal at CES in January 2017).

Saturn94

« Reply #59 on: 14 Apr 2023, 08:37 pm »

C'mon, man.