Just had to do it

John Casler

Just had to do it
« on: 22 Apr 2005, 03:38 am »
Just ordered The Hugh Masekela live album called HOPE from Tower before the coupon expired (15% off and free shipping)

Also picked up the "must have" Natilie Merchant Tiger Lily.

The Masekela Album hopefully will have some more great cuts like Stimela (Coal Train) which is now on my Reference CD.

Hugh is the African Miles Davis.  He seems to have a nice bit of that Afican Jazz Beat which is a unique mix of Rasta/Latin/Jazz

Years ago I really like a group called "Osibisa"

They were one of those "hybrid" groups.  Like an African Santana.  Nice rythms and vocals.

Anyone remember Osibisa? :?:

PS.  You have until Midnight to get 15% off at TOWER.com.  Just use Coupon Code: 3DAYS

ohenry

Just had to do it
« Reply #1 on: 22 Apr 2005, 12:52 pm »
Years ago I really like a group called "Osibisa"

They were one of those "hybrid" groups. Like an African Santana. Nice rythms and vocals.

Anyone remember Osibisa?  

I remember seeing them on Soul Train in 1973 and thinking "How cool is this?"   8)   They were quite a departure from the polyester clad, platform shoed, overly produced and synthesized funk bands.  I've checked out their website in the past, but haven't ordered any of their newer music (yet).

Also, I enjoyed early Earth, Wind and Fire when they had jazz overtones.  Thanks for flashback...

R_burke

Just had to do it
« Reply #2 on: 23 Apr 2005, 08:55 pm »
Osibisa is still going, I have their first two and another newer on.  They have a web site

http://www.osibisa.co.uk/

Other groups in this vein are Fela Kuti, who is no longer with us, but is the "father" of AfroBeat.  His stuff is readily available and has been remastered.  Antibalas, which is a new group as is Afrobeat Down

I'm rekindling my love for this type of music and apparently are others.  Quite a few of the "jam" bands are adopting/utilizing this style

Tweaker

Just had to do it
« Reply #3 on: 23 Apr 2005, 09:57 pm »
Osibisa was/is awesome. Had their first two albums, the first being the best. The cover art by Roger Dean was extraordinary as well. He also did the art for Uriah Heap, Yes, and others.

http://rogerdean.com/links.htm